The best Tiger 1 tank kit in 1/35 scale (price/quality-wise)

Einar

Hi guys,

As a modeller who is mainly devoted to classic airliners and vintage cars I once in a while need to build something totally different. To get a breath of fresh air I have decided to build a Tiger 1 tank in 1/35 scale.

I guess that the above topic has already been discussed umpteen times in these pages, but I would once more like to ask my colleagues for advice and opinions in this matter. 

The thing is that I would like to get me a good quality Tiger 1 kit, not too expensive but with good molding and sufficient details. Molded on zimmerit and a couple of photo-etch details would be welcome. I know that some Dragon kits are very expensive but that there are reasonable Tamiya  kits around, as well. I've also read that Takom, Italeri and AFV do Tiger 1 kits. So to ask you a simple question of a complicated theme I would like to know your opinion on the price/quality-wise best Tiger 1 kit.

Cheers,

Einar

Edited by Einar

Das Werk have just released a late Tiger. It is basically a Dragon kit reboxed and at a slightly cheaper price, with zimmerit and a bit of etch.

RFM make very nice kits. I haven't done their Tigers but have worked on their Sturmtiger, which features a lot of common parts, and it was very nice with a great level of detail. Not stupidly priced either.

Tamiya ones are still good value although you would have to make your own zim for certain variants.

@M3talpig has worked on a few Tiger's so can give you a better idea of what is good and what to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't beat a Dragon Tiger I  especially if you can find one with Magic tracks.

I really enjoyed their Tunisisn Tiger,I also did Wittmans 007

They also make some nice King Tigers,in my opinion,Dragon is tops in most German armor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Einar changed the title to The best Tiger 1 tank kit in 1/35 scale (price/quality-wise)
12 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Tiger1.info has VERY thorough critical reviews of nearly all kits made.

Thank you very much for the info. I didn't know that there exists such a comprehensive site of Tiger I kits. This helps me a lot!

Cheers 

Einar 

• 1 month later...

To pick "best" would be tough in such a crowded market. But the Trumpeter Mid and Late kits are well worth a look. I've got the mid in my stash, and it sure looks the part, at least in the box. The zimmerit is taken care of, some basic photo etch, lots of marking options on the decal sheet. Looks like a meaty, but not intimidatingly huge build. 

Build logs over on Track-Link

https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/34508/flat

https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/45846/flat

Not sure about UK sources. Trumpeter seems to be pretty cheap in Euro zone (e.g. Plastmodel in Poland - running a sale right now 32-ish Euros for the Mid https://plastmodel.pl/p/1010/37912/trumpeter-09539-pz-kpfw-vi-ausf-e-sd-kfz-181-tiger-i-medium-production-w-zimmerit-1-35-tanks-1939-1945-scale-1-35-military-vehicles-and-equipment.html) but fairly expensive in the USA.