Airfix, N.A. B-25C "Desert Warrior" Mitchell medium bomber. 1/72.

Here it is at last! Finished the decals yesterday and varnished them; I applied the matting down this morning, added the turrets, the propellers, and its finished!

I've been at this one a while now with a few ups and downs including my holiday in June and a few other things, its all settled down again in our house and so I have been able to get in and do some modelling. I'm pleased to see it completely finished, it took a while but the wait was worth it!

I've gone for all guns blazing on this one, lower turret extended, crew hatches and ladders down, bomb bay doors open with bomb load, lowered flaps and lots of nose weight so that it can stand on its own! There was alot of detail added to this kit at manufacture, Airfix have reworked this model into a fabulous kit with lots of options! Every part just seemed to fit to the next with NO issues at all, and I'm VERY pleased with it indeed. I am glad I changed the way I paint by thinning down because it really gives a nice solid colour over 4 coats of paint. Each coat needs 24hrs to dry before the next one is added which is a great patience builder! In modelling, patience is a big factor, if you want a great looking model you just do things in an orderly fashion and take your time with details, the decal on the nose wheel was added before I fitted the leg to the model and the pilots instrument panel also has a decal. Things were a bit different with the clear parts on this one; they all fitted quite precisely and crisply, and normally windows in the fuselage are fitted from the inside BUT not on this one! I fitted them from the outside on this model, used a little PVA to affix them in place. As you know I already have two other B-25's but this one has the glass nose!

Only issue I had was attaching the glass dome to the top turret, the glue has bloomed it a little at the mounting points, I've tried to disguise it a bit, with a little paint. I've decided that its NOT going to spoil this build, or this model!

I decided to paint the model in desert colours this time (I found 3 tinlets of the Humbrol 250 in a shop and snapped them up; that decided the colour of this one since it was an option); this aircraft "Desert Warrior" was crewed by Cptn. Ralf Lower; P/O. Anthony Arthur Martin (of the RCAF); Sgt. John R Dawdy;   Sgt. J. B. Saragalo; Lt. Floyd R. Pond; Lt. T. R. Tate and W/o Lt. W. O. Seaman. It was an aircraft of the 81st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 12th Bombardment Group (Medium) at Bolling Field, Washington DC, July 1943. They transited with their aircraft from the southern route to North Africa and became part of the 9th USAAF. The 9th USAAF were based in Cairo in Egypt at the start of the desert war, later once the war was won in the desert and they had worked up into Italy, the 9th moved from Cairo and became based in England where it grew exponentially. Many of the groups were either moved with the 9th or were transferred to the 12th USAAF. The 12th Bomb Group moved to the 10th USAAF in India in April 1944 until the end of the war when they returned home to USA, May 1945.

Screenshot-2022-07-30-at-14-07-00.png

Enjoy!

IMG-0946.jpg 

IMG-0947.jpg

IMG-0948.jpg I rather like the little circular decal on the window on the nose!

IMG-0949.jpg I added a little dark silver onto the ladder rungs.

IMG-0950.jpg

IMG-0951.jpg

IMG-0952.jpg The decals on this model were outstanding especially the ones on the nose, all went on very nicely indeed using Micro Industries DecalSet and DecalSol.

IMG-0953.jpg

IMG-0954.jpg

IMG-0955.jpg

IMG-0956.jpg

IMG-0958.jpg

IMG-0959.jpg

IMG-0962.jpg

IMG-0963.jpg

IMG-0964.jpg Only one decal on the underside but a fair few stencils on the underside and on the nacelles. Its daunting to look at a pile of decals that all have to be applied to a model but once you get into it and find a way of working with them, then they're fine. I tend to set all of my decals and stencils into groups, do a group and then take a break, it all works out, might take time but there is NO hurry is there?

IMG-0965.jpg

IMG-0966.jpg The lower turret turns freely, I used a very fine detail pen with a high precision point and permanent ink to add the details on the turret. These are windows for camera so that the gunner had a turrets eye view and aid accuracy.

IMG-0967.jpg I always file an edge of a landing gear door, just one side; it gives a better idea of where they meet on the nacelle.

IMG-0968.jpg

IMG-0969.jpg I had hoped to catch the red and white lights just inside the top of the tail bubble but the shine on it seems to hide it.

• Like 32

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Here it is at last! Finished the decals yesterday and varnished them; I applied the matting down this morning, added the turrets, the propellers, and its finished!

I've been at this one a while now with a few ups and downs including my holiday in June and a few other things, its all settled down again in our house and so I have been able to get in and do some modelling. I'm pleased to see it completely finished, it took a while but the wait was worth it!

I've gone for all guns blazing on this one, lower turret extended, crew hatches and ladders down, bomb bay doors open with bomb load, lowered flaps and lots of nose weight so that it can stand on its own! There was alot of detail added to this kit at manufacture, Airfix have reworked this model into a fabulous kit with lots of options! Every part just seemed to fit to the next with NO issues at all, and I'm VERY pleased with it indeed. I am glad I changed the way I paint by thinning down because it really gives a nice solid colour over 4 coats of paint. Each coat needs 24hrs to dry before the next one is added which is a great patience builder! In modelling, patience is a big factor, if you want a great looking model you just do things in an orderly fashion and take your time with details, the decal on the nose wheel was added before I fitted the leg to the model and the pilots instrument panel also has a decal. Things were a bit different with the clear parts on this one; they all fitted quite precisely and crisply, and normally windows in the fuselage are fitted from the inside BUT not on this one! I fitted them from the outside on this model, used a little PVA to affix them in place. As you know I already have two other B-25's but this one has the glass nose!

Only issue I had was attaching the glass dome to the top turret, the glue has bloomed it a little at the mounting points, I've tried to disguise it a bit, with a little paint. I've decided that its NOT going to spoil this build, or this model!

I decided to paint the model in desert colours this time (I found 3 tinlets of the Humbrol 250 in a shop and snapped them up; that decided the colour of this one since it was an option); this aircraft "Desert Warrior" was crewed by Cptn. Ralf Lower; P/O. Anthony Arthur Martin (of the RCAF); Sgt. John R Daddy;   Sgt. J. B. Saragalo; Lt. Floyd R. Pond; Lt. T. R. Tate and W/o Lt. W. O. Seaman. It was an aircraft of the 81st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), 12th Bombardment Group (Medium) at Bolling Field, Washington DC, July 1943. They transmitted with their aircraft from the southern route to North Africa and became part of the 9th USAAF. The 9th USAAF were based in Cairo in Egypt at the start of the desert war, later once the war was won in the desert and they had worked up into Italy, the 9th moved from Cairo and became based in England. Many of the groups were either moved with the 9th or were transferred to the 12th USAAF. The 12th Bomb Group moved to the 10th USAAF in India in April 1944 until the end of the war when they returned home to USA, May 1945.

Screenshot-2022-07-30-at-14-07-00.png

Enjoy!

IMG-0946.jpg 

IMG-0947.jpg

IMG-0948.jpg I rather like the little circular decal on the window on the nose!

IMG-0949.jpg I added a little dark silver onto the ladder rungs.

IMG-0950.jpg

IMG-0951.jpg

IMG-0952.jpg The decals on this model were outstanding especially the ones on the nose, all went on very nicely indeed using Micro Industries DecalSet and DecalSol.

IMG-0953.jpg

IMG-0954.jpg

IMG-0955.jpg

IMG-0956.jpg

IMG-0958.jpg

IMG-0959.jpg

IMG-0962.jpg

IMG-0963.jpg

IMG-0964.jpg Only one decal on the underside but a fair few stencils on the underside and on the nacelles. Its daunting to look at a pile of decals that all have to be applied to a model but once you get into it and find a way of working with them, then there fine. I tend to set all of my decals and stencils into groups, do a group and then take a break, it all works out, might take time but there is NO hurry is there?

IMG-0965.jpg

IMG-0966.jpg The lower turret turns freely, I used a very fine detail pen with a high precision point and permanent ink to add the details on the turret. These are windows for camera so that the gunner had a turrets eye view and aid accuracy.

IMG-0967.jpg

IMG-0968.jpg

IMG-0969.jpg I had hoped to catch the red and white lights just inside the top of the tail bubble but the shine on it seems to hide it.

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

In modelling, patience is a big factor, if you want a great looking model you just do things in an orderly fashion and take your time with details

Couldn’t agree more Mark!
Great looking model, you’ve done really well with it!

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Very nicely done.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Ali; I’m rather proud of this one!:nodding:

4 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Couldn’t agree more Mark!
Great looking model, you’ve done really well with it!

Dave

Thank you Dave.👍😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Great work!

4 hours ago, Winenut said:

Love it!

Great version well executed

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Your models keep getting better and better, Mark.  

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with this myself, I agree, my builds get better all the time, that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't changed how I paint! Painting is a real game changer in modelling wether its done by bearded stick or by airbrush, the biggest factor is patience! Yes you can learn it, you can build on it, anyone can; if I can do it then anyone can. It has paid dividends for me as it has taught me patience in all the things I do. If I'm not into doing something (anything at all) then I don't do it, I have to want to do it and then I'll do the best job I can! If my heart isn't in it its best I don't touch. Its just the way I'm wired.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I appreciate it.:nodding::cool:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

You've got to love a Mitchell. 👍🏻👍🏻

I made the two solid nose models but I just had to have one with the glazed nose to complement the trio!👍😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks fab! Nicely done.

What’s next? 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, my next project is the Sword Curtiss SO3C Seamew! I’ve started a WIP on it!

a kit I’ve had for a long time and found it a very basic kit, it kinds put me off but I made a start, put it back on the shelf and came back to it again a few days ago, it’s going well now!😉

• Like 1

You did an excellent job inspite of the problems with the kit you described. 👍 This B-25 looks perfect in that color scheme. How did you prevent the model from becoming a tailsitter? I guess it is very difficult to add sufficient additional nose weight to a glass nose B-25. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

You did an excellent job inspite of the problems with the kit you described. 👍 This B-25 looks perfect in that color scheme. How did you prevent the model from becoming a tailsitter? I guess it is very difficult to add sufficient additional nose weight to a glass nose B-25. 

Thank you, yes I like the colour scheme of it, if you read the work in progress page there are a few posts about adding noseweight, I’ve linked the WIP and the RFI.

I use all sorts of things for noseweight including nuts, bolts, lead etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/07/2022 at 15:13, Markh-75 said:

Thank you, yes I like the colour scheme of it, if you read the work in progress page there are a few posts about adding noseweight, I’ve linked the WIP and the RFI.

I use all sorts of things for noseweight including nuts, bolts, lead etc.

Thank you for the hint. Your WIP for this model is very interesting and I have to say the information about the way you dealt with the noseweight is very helpful to me once I get started with my own glass nose B-25.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 1

I’m glad you found it useful, part of modelling is sharing ideas and techniques which is why I enjoy doing the WIP, if one person can take something useful from it then I am more than happy 😃. Thank you for your feedback.👍

• Like 3

22 hours ago, John_W said:

Nicely done. Wish I could brush paint to your standard.

21 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

That is a wonderful looking Mitchell. Great job!!

Thank you, the painting isn’t that hard, it’s just painting on 4 thinned coats of paint with the correct brush. Some colours are easier than others and I always give each coat 24hrs to dry so it pays to be patient. Thank you for your compliment 🙂

Thank you everyone, for your kind comments on my build, it is very much appreciated 😎 thank you.

• Like 1