H.M.S. Alert by Shipyard Models in 1/72 scale in paper & card

@Bertie McBoatface

So, here are my two MAJOR headaches.

I think I have a plan for the mast diameter reduction, the wooden dowel is approx. 10mm dia. and needs to be reduced at the base to about 7mm dia. to fit In the hole in the deck.

The square top, will have a cross tree fitted, so once that is made I'll have a gauge.

How I am going to create the skinny bit on the the top section (top gallant ?) I have absolutely NO IDEA.

This is the oh so helpful drawing.

p?i=a1fd6507a4e06cc008bb1913732871c9

Wish me luck.

Jon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

@Bertie McBoatface

So, here are my two MAJOR headaches.

I think I have a plan for the mast diameter reduction, the wooden dowel is approx. 10mm dia. and needs to be reduced at the base to about 7mm dia. to fit In the hole in the deck.

That's weird. They usually taper towards the top. 🤔

The square top, will have a cross tree fitted, so once that is made I'll have a gauge.

Sound thinking.

How I am going to create the skinny bit on the the top section (top gallant ?) I have absolutely NO IDEA.

You'll find that you can do that with good sharp fresh sandpaper. You'll have to trim the junction between thick and thin with a craft knife though. An excellent opportunity to cut it in half 😄.

I would do the truck separately. It's just a flat cylinder on the top. Stick a thin slice of dowel, cocktail stick, skewer, knitting needle on it. 

This is the oh so helpful drawing.

p?i=a1fd6507a4e06cc008bb1913732871c9

I like those printed sections like lollipops, that tell you which dowel to use or the section you are supposed to achieve.

Wish me luck.

Jon

May the very best of fortune attend thee.

• Thanks 1

Looked at Shipyard kits. Question if I may?

I was smitten by the Revenge (distant memories of a tiddly little Airfix offering from the sixties!). There seem to be several “extras” like masts, rigging thingies etc. Takes the price from a jolly reasonable £26 ish to nearer £90. Are these extras needed or do they replace kit offerings that need to be worked on?

Cheers, 

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillF67 said:

Looked at Shipyard kits. Question if I may?

I was smitten by the Revenge (distant memories of a tiddly little Airfix offering from the sixties!). There seem to be several “extras” like masts, rigging thingies etc. Takes the price from a jolly reasonable £26 ish to nearer £90. Are these extras needed or do they replace kit offerings that need to be worked on?

Cheers, 

Bill

My kit, HMS Alert is 1/72 Laser cut paper and card and comes with all the extras, masts,sails, guns etc. If, as I think, you are looking at the 1/96 paper kit, then, I think, you only get the bare minimum.

Have a look here, it’s where I got mine.

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/

Jon

1 minute ago, BillF67 said:

Looks like you are right, Jon. Bad form not to make the additional requirements clear. It seems, for Revenge, 3 additional sets are required. Boo.

I wonder if the core kit contains plans for modeller to make the missing parts from scratch. Masts for instance, as Jon is discovering, are just a set of dowels and making your own is a fairly simple process. Rigging blocks are often scratched by ship modellers who want better quality than the kit ones, same for sails. It may be that the Shipyard way of doing things brings the hobby into the affordable range while also offering labour savings for those who can afford to buy their ‘aftermarket’ 

Some model manufacturers even sell the plans packs for their models as stand-alone items. They are really the only thing a modeller needs. (I buy the kits because I’m impatient 😁)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Jon,

The 'no idea how' bit.

Cut it off and drill out the top to substitute some rod?

tom

Genius. That thought never crossed my mind, one problem solved.

Thank you.

Jon

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

drill it straight

Ah.

There is always one fly in your beer, but probably easier than trying to sand it to shape.

Jon

46 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Ah.

There is always one fly in your beer, but probably easier than trying to sand it to shape.

Jon

Better a fly in your beer than beer in your flies.

I have a lot of trouble getting things straight and square due to my astigmatic eyeballs. I can't judge angles very well at all by eye, but I can feel them. You should see me playing snooker!

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It crossed mine but I'd never have been able to drill it straight

Gidday, I'm often drilling down into styrene rods etc and I find that rotating the piece being drilled helps to get my drilling more central. Sorry if I'm teaching you the bleeding obvious. Admittedly the rods etc that I'm drilling down into are much smaller and less important than a sailing ships masts. But HTH. Regards, Jeff.

17 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm often drilling down into styrene rods etc and I find that rotating the piece being drilled helps to get my drilling more central. Sorry if I'm teaching you the bleeding obvious. Admittedly the rods etc that I'm drilling down into are much smaller and less important than a sailing ships masts. But HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Drilling into end grain may be different to styrene. Practice first!

• Like 1

I’m taking a break from this, before I actually do break something. 
I like working with card/paper, it makes a change, but it’s these ###### awful instructions or lack of that are becoming VERY irritating. 
So, I will refresh myself with something else.

Hope to be back soon.

Jon

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Drilling into end grain may be different to styrene. Practice first!

That's a fair point. I was only considering it from a 'getting it straight' point of view.

And Jon, something else? Another 1/700 scale ship? 😖

I'll get my coat and see myself out. 🙂       Regards, Jeff.

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I like working with card/paper, it makes a change, but it’s these ###### awful instructions or lack of that are becoming VERY irritating. 

Hope to be back soon.

Jon

It’s not worth being irritated in this weather. You might break something serious! Instead, enjoy your break. 😀

Hi Jon, I've just trolled through all six pages of your build. I'm not a boat builder, I used to get sea sick whist on Bulwark! The kit looks quite good, even if the instructions were a trial!

Take the well deserved break and preserve your sanity.

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/08/2022 at 12:56, Faraway said:

Hope to be back soon.

Jon

Hi Jon, must say - instructions aside - that she's looking very nice indeed. Hopefully you'll be coming back to her later in the not too distant future?

David

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Hi Jon, must say - instructions aside - that she's looking very nice indeed. Hopefully you'll be coming back to her later in the not too distant future?

David

I’m thinking, back to paper ship building after my current USS England build.

• Like 1