H.M.S. Alert by Shipyard Models in 1/72 scale in paper & card

First I'm going to give you a link to a very interesting site, The Kent History Site.

https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=459.0

This will give you, probably, as much as you'll ever need to know about this lovely little ship, which seems to have led quite an exciting life.

So, onto the model.

It is going to take me so far out of my comfort zone, I just hope I can complete it.

It certainly won't be a quick build.

As you can see from the title, this kit is produced by Shipyard Models and what surprised me went I first saw it, is that it's a PAPER/CARD model and me getting it came about, primarily, from watching @Bertie McBoatface build his superb wooden ships.

Now, I've always wanted to build a wooden model but the cost firstly of the model and then the extra tools etc I'd need, placed them out of reach. Then I saw these models which are around half the price of wooden ones and don't require a special tools.

But enough of my jabbering here are some 'sprue' pictures, as you can see there is everything in the box apart from glue.

Jon

First the box

p?i=6cf9718d0dd8691afa463c909832b06f

And its contents.

p?i=2bdde5c34ca7d0d04fb22f6d7d4e7ae9

p?i=cb9eaf4720f1eb541f048b93e94e65de

Some of the paint

p?i=27edf44123f050e20f425691d23e298a

Even brushes

p?i=77a33991bc783fcbde3f5b4b3c00b6c9

Gun barrels and copper wire. The barrels used to be brass, but now I think are probably 3D printed or resin.

p?i=60c669751172235716733e090622950c

Sails.Made from a very fine cloth. Unfortunately they are only printed on one side.

p?i=8cad8a75ad6804cc02ef8f470a5268c6

Some of the parts. Some are on card and some on paper.

p?i=e0558f04752df5f53eb4aa30947da77a

p?i=8cfe6c5892d69fb79fcaa451ad10c7e9

p?i=6f4d0d4ddacb4910926dab475ef666c0

There are few more, but I'll show those as the build progresses.

So, that's about it, just need to stick it together.

I've not seen a paper/card build on this forum, but I doubt I'm the first, so if anyone out there can offer any tips I will be forever in your debt.

Right then, I'm off to read and try and understand the instructions, English translation of Polish is a bit vague at times.

Jon

P.S.

One last thing. 

I'm trying to find a copy of this book

p?i=e331c4d2d4ef8c93033241b199fa9feb

The only copies I've been able to find have been given silly prices, more than the kit cost.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy at a reasonable price, I will again be ion your debt.

Jon

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Faraway said:

this book

p?i=e331c4d2d4ef8c93033241b199fa9feb

I've been using my faded bookseller skills (Ex-Waterstones) and the best deal I could find was £178. It's an Osprey publication and they rarely release a second edition because their potential market is limited to the enthusiastic modeller. This was published thirty years ago at £25 (sigh) and is now valued world wide at between 180 to 200 pounds. There's enough information in this series of books to scratchbuild a model with no further plans needed. I fear you will have to go without unless A Britmodeller has one that could be loaned.

• Thanks 1

I'd be very interested to know what the print run was. I rather think they will have printed more of the later books in the series.

The Vanguard model may have boosted the price. I dare say that people who can afford the price of the kit might be in the market for the book even at current prices. Vanguard are kind enough to make their instruction manual available gratis, and I suggest that as a useful reference. It's available at the foot of this page:

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/alert-order/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'd be very interested to know what the print run was. I rather think they will have printed more of the later books in the series.

The Vanguard model may have boosted the price. I dare say that people who can afford the price of the kit might be in the market for the book even at current prices. Vanguard are kind enough to make their instruction manual available gratis, and I suggest that as a useful reference. It's available at the foot of this page:

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/alert-order/

Thanks. I’ve found the Vanguards instructions, very useful.

Jon

• Like 1

A small beginning, the stand.

p?i=7050940d551f59c3d75e4f06d45be49b

I make it to test the new glue, which is very good, and to see how things work.

p?i=f30b0253deff0bdce634f7bdbf5fc6c9

So onto the build proper this is the centre, keel I suppose.

p?i=7e02cb4896973b513ebfdbe707fa7fee

p?i=cbf5bbc886de1a6baa30c29b3892474c

And the ribs.

p?i=fc6f9ed95059a91a80fa5a3bdbf8917d

First of many

p?i=77b2977e1c491c0ad16286e0ea188e0a

A while later

p?i=8971e1a6f939361130c5f672f4af2b62

A deck which adds rigidity 

p?i=cecc23e4deebe2cf5f823820b74934c4

Stern

p?i=d639715294b32ec4e8ef6260353735bd

And the first layer of the deck, the deck proper with printed planks goes on top.p?i=c85781f621c130689fe5d353aef06610

That's it for now, going to let the glue harden off.

I have to say, all the parts come out of the sheets with great ease and fit together better than a lot of plastic kits.

I think I could like this paper modelling

See you soon.

Jon

• Like 8

Gidday Jon, that didn't take long. I take it the ribs etc shown here are thick kit cards? Not paper stuck to boards you've added? And did you have to cut these parts out or are they pre-cut and you simply push them out from the main sheets? I apologize if these questions have been answered earlier.

She has a nice hull shape already. Regards, Jeff.

PS - I've just had another look at the opening photo - laser cut. Answers my last question. Regards again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I was going to ask about the glue. Is it nearer to pva type wood glue or CA?

I think it a hybrid of CA/PVA, it’s odourless, very thin and is white with a strange blue hue, but it dries clear and very quickly. 
Forms a good bond so far as it doesn’t soak in too much, the card being very porous.

Jon

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, that didn't take long. I take it the ribs etc shown here are thick kit cards? Not paper stuck to boards you've added? And did you have to cut these parts out or are they pre-cut and you simply push them out from the main sheets? I apologize if these questions have been answered earlier.

She has a nice hull shape already. Regards, Jeff.

PS - I've just had another look at the opening photo - laser cut. Answers my last question. Regards again.

The shapes are held in the board by the tiniest of attachments, I am able to push out the parts on the thinner card and paper, but am going to play safe and cut the attachments, to avoid any danger of tearing the parts.

Some of the parts are tiny, hard to believe it’s sheets of card and paper. The fit so far is superb.

The only down side I’ve encountered so far, is that the instructions are a bit vague and sometimes show a part as fitted and then show how to fit it two or three stages further on. So I’m learning to look ahead.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Faraway said:

the instructions are a bit vague and sometimes show a part as fitted and then show how to fit it two or three stages further on.

Wood or card, the people who make the models do not make good instructions!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Wood or card, the people who make the models do not make good instructions!

This has often been remarked upon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've been using my faded bookseller skills (Ex-Waterstones) and the best deal I could find was £178. It's an Osprey publication and they rarely release a second edition because their potential market is limited to the enthusiastic modeller. This was published thirty years ago at £25 (sigh) and is now valued world wide at between 180 to 200 pounds. There's enough information in this series of books to scratchbuild a model with no further plans needed. I fear you will have to go without unless A Britmodeller has one that could be loaned.

Inter-library Loan...?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve5 said:

this looks like an interesting build , never seen a card build before .

Gidday, other than Kevin's SD14 I don't recall a card WIP either, only seen a few completed builds in the local show here from time to time. That I recall right now, anyway. This'll be interesting and educational.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve5 said:

this looks like an interesting build , never seen a card build before .

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, other than Kevin's SD14 I don't recall a card WIP either, only seen a few completed builds in the local show here from time to time. That I recall right now, anyway. This'll be interesting and educational.

Regards, Jeff.

Nor me, let’s hope it goes to plan.

Jon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Jon,

Don't know if this sight could help you.

https://www.libramar.net/news/anatomy_of_the_ship_series/1-0-43

Tom

Tom.

Interesting site, but they want a monthly subscription.

I’ve had a kind offer from a fellow BMer of a PDF file for the book, so I think I’m sorted. 
Shame this particular book is so expensive, perhaps for the next ship I build I’ll find the book first ?

Jon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’ve had a kind offer from a fellow BMer of a PDF file for the book, so I think I’m sorted. 

It’s a bit late in the day but I just found a copy for the ‘bargain’ price of £70. That’s not quite three times the original rrp. 

I searched “Alert 1777” missing out references to AOTS in the hope of finding a slightly unaware seller. I’d recommended that technique for anyone chasing an inflated priced rarity. That and daily searches. 

I’ll stop looking now. 

Well Jon, have you got the masts in yet? 😁

• Like 1