A Pair of Austin Mk. III Armored Cars (Master Box 1/72)

I have been studying the Russian Civil War lately and found the involvement of early armored vehicles to be particularly interesting. The very presence of these steel beasts was capable of turning the tide of battle, boosting the morale of friendly troops and causing the enemy to despair, much the same effect that the arrival of armored knights on the battlefield had in centuries past. Using both the Mk.III and Mk.IV boxings of this kit, I built two armored cars that appear to both have Mk.III features.

yHZtTkr.jpg

The first depicts the car bestowed with the name "Ataman Bogaevsky," in honor of the last independent Ataman (leader) of the Don Cossacks, who held that title from early 1919 until his death in exile in 1934. According to the Osprey New Vanguard publication of White and Allied armor of the Russian Civil War, this vehicle was attached to Lieutenant General Shkuro's Cossack cavalry corps and participated on the advance on Moscow during the summer and autumn of 1919, and was lost during the subsequent retreat south. It carries both the roundel of the Don Army (black triangle in a circle) and the Russian tricolor, as a symbol of the Don Army's participation as part of the Armed Forces of South Russia.

FbX8FYt.jpg

aXM9hyL.png

Hzg8Yjc.jpg

The vehicle appears to carry a disruptive camouflage pattern, which I have tried my best to reproduce. The inner linings of the front wheel wells are missing and supported only by metal struts, which are my only scratch-built contributions to the kit.

dKnRAfI.jpg

aqLYfwS.jpg

HGzqfeB.jpg

The second car, carrying the name "Shvidkiy" ("Speedy" or "Swift" in Ukrainian), was one of 27 armored cars used by the Ukrainian National Republic during its short-lived independence from 1918-1921.

ht7VPAc.jpg

4u5sQnU.jpg

RFWNgN3.jpg

A cossack from long ago seems to have snuck into frame.

VXwqmB6.jpg

NarBhvl.jpg

CJ5JvPZ.jpg

ThWsQX5.jpg

0fISJaU.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 25

• 5 months later...