Nunu Porsche 911 SC RS rally car .

On 8/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Windy37 said:

After much pondering and wondering how , I have eventually started decaling . The Rothmans stripes around the front wings were the sticking point …. or how to tackle them . Well , I photocopied the decal kit then cut out the long side stripes . Then I marked them so I could cut them into sections , in this case three so they are easier to handle . In the end , they went on quite easily , plenty of hot water and cotton bud action smoothed out around the front wheel arch . 
52266353292_ae455d9dc4_c_d.jpg

I used the same method on the other side , but imagine my horror when I found the stripe wasn’t long enough . A small gap was left where the middle and rear sections should have joined up . I didn’t do anything different , so why each side stripe is a different length is a mystery ! I managed to save this disaster by carefully using Tamiya Titanium Gold ( which is a pale gold and matches the gold in the stripe ) and red to paint in the missing piece . Also , I hadn’t quite got enough Holts blue high enough so there was a tiny bit of white between the blue and gold . So I decanted a small amount of the blue , held my breath and carefully painted in the gap . The finish is not as sharp in that area , but it’s better than leaving it . 
52270154580_5062fdca46_c_d.jpg

All the stripes around the car done now , the front bumper will be attached later . 
52269933449_9374d7bce5_c_d.jpg
52270154445_459510586b_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

Brilliant in the way you handled those decals!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Thanks Pat . Did you have trouble with the headlights on your Nunu 911 ? 

Gary . 

No problems with those. I fitted the rims first, then the headlight buckets and the lenses last. But I didn't paint the white section of the bodyshell I only polished it, so no paint in the way of any connecting pins/slots.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:23 AM, keefr22 said:

I wouldn't worry about the gap in the headlights Gary - the real thing isn't perfect!

1984-911-SC-RS-1400x943.jpg

Body is looking very nice! :)

Keith

It's a rally car after all !

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PatW said:

No problems with those. I fitted the rims first, then the headlight buckets and the lenses last. But I didn't paint the white section of the bodyshell I only polished it, so no paint in the way of any connecting pins/slots.

I might dismantle the lights and try it your way . When I dry fitted the surrounds they fitted perfectly .....

Gary . 

The Porsche hasn’t been harpooned , it’s my method of sticking the windows in model cars …. Blue tac on the end of a cocktail stick , or even a piece of sprue will do the job . I took the headlights to pieces and reassembled them , putting the surrounds in first , then adding the backs . This has reduced the ugly gap and I’m happy with them now . Sometimes you just have to take a step back to try again !

52314558156_02ea96f9e7_c_d.jpg

Here’s  some engine detail that will be hidden when the bodyshell is fitted to the chassis .

52313761977_7942a8ea47_c_d.jpg

And now we come to the sting in the tail of this kit . @PatW highlighted problems with mating body and chassis on the RFI of his build of this kit . The front and rear bumpers are separate to the bodyshell , only being fitted as part of the joining together process , with the chassis pins pushing into holes in the bumpers which are glued to the body . The problem I have found with the rear bumper is around the bottom of the back wheel arches , it doesn’t fit flush , leaving a big gap that will not be easily pulled together with glue . Also , the 911 trademark rear lights are in two pieces , which don’t fit together , the lense much bigger than the chrome backing . The problems can be seen below 
52314558031_1df180b414_c_d.jpg

The lights when fitted . Not good , considering they are supposed to be smooth to the rear bodywork 

52315001320_44e705d16c_c_d.jpg

There was no way the lense was going to conform to the backing , even with masking tape pulled tight around it for a night or two didn’t do the trick . So I decided to cut the lense strip into pieces to try and get a better fit . And hope there wouldn’t be a gap …… While I was at it , I taped the middle of the lense to a mug to try and get a slight curve , which was needed . 

52314868593_4a6751bb40_c_d.jpg

And the end result , still not sitting flush , but at least it conforms to the curves of the rear body . As usual the camera makes everything look so messy ! Hate the ugly bumper to body gap .

52313761602_422ec14d73_c_d.jpg

Rather like 911s of this era , the rear end has caught me out , so near the end too !

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Good recovery! It seems this kit needs a bit of care to go together well..

Thanks , yes . Some delicate hands and a bit of thinking through is needed . Obviously the bodyshell is made to fit other 911 bumpers , otherwise they would be moulded onto the body at the factory  . 

Gary .

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Given the price, the kit doesn't look that impressive tbh Gary....

Still, you seem to be beating the thing nicely into submission ! :)

Keith

What he said!

Other than the rear end fit problems you have a great replica of an iconic car

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hamden said:

What he said!

Other than the rear end fit problems you have a great replica of an iconic car

Stay safe        Roger

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Given the price, the kit doesn't look that impressive tbh Gary....

Still, you seem to be beating the thing nicely into submission ! :)

Keith

Thanks fellas ! I've always been a big fan of Nunu Beemax Aoshima kits , but this one seems lacking in the engineering design stage . Things that don't fit properly in a kit aimed at Tamiya level builders is not good . If it was aimed at Belkits level builders , well that's different !

Gary

• Like 2

I looked at this kit when it was released and it wasn't really a kit I fancied, but I did like the Rothman's colour scheme and as a result I almost bought it. After watching your build and seeing the fit issues, especially the rear lights I'm kind of glad I held off on ordering it. Knowing what I know now I'll definitely not be adding one to my build stash. You've made a good job of yours and coped with the build problems and fit issues really well. It looks great!! Sadly at this moment in time I just don't have the patience to try and correct the problems with it..

• Like 1

So carrying on from the previous post , I have used masking tape to try and pull the ill fitting rear bumper into line . 
52320127290_fcabd6e8d7_c_d.jpg

The front bumper meanwhile fitted well . The decal on the bumper is probably best placing once the bumper is fitted , but I tucked  the corners underneath to keep things tidy , then touched up with paint . The wheels are also on now . The stance is about right for a tarmac car , maybe could be lower at the rear to give that squat 911 appearance . Notice the door mirrors ; Prodrive used these shaped mirrors on all their race / rally cars right up to the early 2000s . A simple , aerodynamic solution .
52319996128_da8c6d65dd_c_d.jpg

The Cibie spotlights , kindly provided by @galaxyg , are in the background here being readied for fitting . I’ve not forgotten the whale tail , I’ve kept it out of the way while I sort the troublesome rear end . 
52320110669_f9a8a1e354_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary. 

• Like 7

Looks as though you're getting this wrestled into shape, always a shame when problems with a kit's design come into play. If the tape doesn't work you could try fitting some small pieces of plastic to the inside of the bumper (well and truly weld them on) whenslot them inside the body if space allows to help it stay in place. I had to so the same a couple of years ago with Revell's Challenger and it's still holding ok.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Looks as though you're getting this wrestled into shape, always a shame when problems with a kit's design come into play. If the tape doesn't work you could try fitting some small pieces of plastic to the inside of the bumper (well and truly weld them on) whenslot them inside the body if space allows to help it stay in place. I had to so the same a couple of years ago with Revell's Challenger and it's still holding ok.

You must have read my mind ! Before I filled the arches with the wheels , I used some plastic strips inside them to give the bumper something to pull too when I then applied the glue . It seemed to pull together well , so hopefully I might have cracked it ! 

Gary .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Onto the final stages of the Porsche build . The Circuit of Ireland car I’m building was fitted with Cibie spotlights, most research pictures and videos show these in place at all times . @galaxyg kindly offered to let me have some Cibies from his spares box , so , when they arrived , I set about mounting them on the cars from bumper . To do this I used a spare bonnet fastener that was already mounted on a piece of flat plastic and had the pin to drop into a hole . So I drilled holes in the bumper , painted the fasteners aluminium and glued these to the backs of the light housings .

52350539020_6552b1bf95_c_d.jpg

This is the Cibies , mounted and some wire added for detail . 
52350114941_a6cbf11bd9_c_d.jpg

The sump guards are pleasingly made in clear plastic , so all the underside detail isn’t lost when they’re fitted . I have edged them in aluminium , to show what finish they should have . 
52350432779_22678f8b75_c_d.jpg

The whale tail rear spoiler is a two piece affair and drops into place easily , drawing the eye away from the bodged rear end ……

52350114746_40537976c9_c_d.jpg

The final build shot . RFI posts will follow soon . 
52349161037_7e14dce993_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Looks great, the Cibies add a lot to the front end and I love the whale tail spoiler, very cool!!

I've watched a video of the rally and those Cibies stayed on till the end - and it was a proper 5 day rally ! In my boy racer days , a 17mm spanner was all that was needed to remove a pair of Cibies . They were prized possessions ! 

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another cracking build Gary, great looking rally car! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith . The rear end is just bad , but rest of car looks spot 👌 on.  

Gary . 

• Like 1