Nunu Porsche 911 SC RS rally car .

8 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Looking fine! Good thing you don't have to worry where the tape lifted.

Thanks ! Always helps having a decal next to a spray colour to hide things ! 
Gary . 

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Thanks ! Always helps having a decal next to a spray colour to hide things ! 
Gary . 

It absolutely does. If you are very careful you can even lightly sand down the masking edge and get it more or less invisible under the decal. Though: steady hand and patience 😎

• Like 1

After much pondering and wondering how , I have eventually started decaling . The Rothmans stripes around the front wings were the sticking point …. or how to tackle them . Well , I photocopied the decal kit then cut out the long side stripes . Then I marked them so I could cut them into sections , in this case three so they are easier to handle . In the end , they went on quite easily , plenty of hot water and cotton bud action smoothed out around the front wheel arch . 
52266353292_ae455d9dc4_c_d.jpg

I used the same method on the other side , but imagine my horror when I found the stripe wasn’t long enough . A small gap was left where the middle and rear sections should have joined up . I didn’t do anything different , so why each side stripe is a different length is a mystery ! I managed to save this disaster by carefully using Tamiya Titanium Gold ( which is a pale gold and matches the gold in the stripe ) and red to paint in the missing piece . Also , I hadn’t quite got enough Holts blue high enough so there was a tiny bit of white between the blue and gold . So I decanted a small amount of the blue , held my breath and carefully painted in the gap . The finish is not as sharp in that area , but it’s better than leaving it . 
52270154580_5062fdca46_c_d.jpg

All the stripes around the car done now , the front bumper will be attached later . 
52269933449_9374d7bce5_c_d.jpg
52270154445_459510586b_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 11

Coming along well Gary. I'm just getting started on mine and I'll use the kit decals I think.

9 hours ago, PatW said:

Coming along well Gary. I'm just getting started on mine and I'll use the kit decals I think.

Hope the provided decals are the correct length , Pat !

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking really good, it is great to have someone else finding the hiccups here, nothing like following in the footsteps of a trail blazer. :)

Steve.

I don't know about being a trail blazer , but I seem to enjoy sorting out problems that should have been sorted out pre production  !

Thanks both 

Gary .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galaxyg said:

Nice tidy result there with the decals despite the issue.   BTW - did you want the Cibie pods + covers?

Thanks . I'd like the Cibies if your offering them . 

Gary . 

Despite some hot and sweaty modelling conditions ( the glue drying before I could get the part into it ! ) I have managed to get the cockpit finished . This is a pretty simple affair but I have added some chromed wire along the drivers side to replicate some aero hose . I have reverted back to red electrical tape for the harnesses , using some spares box PE buckles for detail . I use the decals for the front facing belts , but managed to melt one of these in water that was too hot ! A steady hand with some yellow paint has rescued this . 
52285018293_06f3ce91c9_c_d.jpg
52285276819_37da048145_c_d.jpg

I wish you could actually see the dashboard dials like a camera does 

52284032787_654f2dbb86_c_d.jpg

Ready for boxing up 

52285276594_86eea3bac8_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary.

• Like 8

I know what you mean about the dials  and the camera - so many times I've spent ages getting a dashboard to look half-decent on camera and under magnification only for it to be virtually invisible when the model is completed. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Just a quick update on the Porsche build . Progress is a bit slower now as I am on a “ phased return to work “. ( half days - YAAAA ! ) , but I have been having a what is a now traditional battle with Nunu / Beemax / Aoshima headlight fitment . On most of the cars I have built from these firms fitting the headlights is a pain . On this one the lights are in three parts - lense , chrome back and the circular surrounds . The backs fit no problem , but the surrounds won’t fit flush with the wings , as is standard on all 911’s . Even trying to remove some plastic doesn’t help and , as they are very thin and delicate , I dare not shave any more off . So they are sitting proud , with an ugly gap . They do have notches for alignment , but these don’t help . 
   The panel gaps on this kit are very wide , so , for the first time in my modelling career I have attempted to highlight these with a very fine black pen . I think the results are pretty good . 
   All the decals are on and clear coated and the window surrounds are painted ready for glazing . 
See what I mean about the headlight surrounds ! 
52297114384_52014b4eb0_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary .

• Like 6

The chrome backs fit flush and the surrounds stick to these . I think the backs are probably the problem . I might have another look yet . The surrounds are so delicate , I don't want to break them . 😫 

Thanks for the interest !

Gary.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the culprit may be paint build-up in the notches preventing the pin from sitting right in these? If so, you may be able to very carefuly scrape the paint out from the notch with a #11 scalpel (and strong magnification!).

• Like 1

It's looking very nice!! I discovered, sort of by accident that RAL 5002 is a perfect match for the blue. It will also work for the Rothman's Metro 6R4 and the Rothman's Subaru Legacy if I'm not mistaken. Hataka C272 is the exact colour, but you need to airbrush it.

• Like 2