Nunu Porsche 911 SC RS rally car .

Ok , I will admit this was going to be the previous build , but I took a fancy to the Skoda and did that instead . This is the first Porsche I have built  , it’s the 911 SC RS from the mid 80s . Designed as a Group B car , with only 2 wheel drive and a non turbo 3.0 litre air cooled engine it was never going to challenge the Peugeot , Lancia and Audi super cars . However on tarmac rallies it’s lightweight ( 960 kg ) made it competitive . The box art shows the car driven in the Middle East Rally Championship by Saeed Al Hajri , but I’m going to build a version driven by Irish rally legend Billy Coleman on the 1985 Circuit of Ireland rally . The correct decals are on the way from Spotmodels and , helpfully , the kit tyres are racing tyres , not gravel knobblies . 
All action box art 
52242351973_a33ed632d9_c_d.jpg

The Porsches were prepared and run by David Richards Autosport , which later became Prodrive  and were sponsored by Rothmans . Henri Toivonen was also a driver in the team and took part in Irish and European Rally events . Extensive research has produced little in the way of detail engine and suspension photos , so I will be using my judgment for painting as the instructions seem a bit wide of the mark at times . 
The contents , not a lot of parts really . See through sump guards though !
52242341976_809c8233d8_c_d.jpg

Billy Coleman / Ronan Morgan 1985 Circuit of Ireland 

52242654884_f9521ab063_c_d.jpg

I will be spraying the Rothmans Blue with Tamiya TS15 blue , this being the shade in which Tamiya recommends to paint the Rothmans 956 Group C car in .  Hopefully it will match the blue in the decals . Meanwhile I have been preparing the chassis and body with grey primer . Spray booth set up not the best , but it works for me !
52248479102_405cd0a569_c_d.jpg

I’m not the best when it comes to spray results but this time it’s not turned out too bad . 
52248478947_07415b13b5_c_d.jpg

More to come soon , thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 12

I'm going to have to follow along Gary -  but I know I shouldn't! I've had the kit & Billy's decals in my Spotmodel cart since they were released but have managed to resist clicking the buy button so far! :)

Keith

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Does it come with the tarmac set up suspension or does it need to be modded?

best,

M.

I've found some photos of a completed kit and it looks reasonably low , certainly for a tarmac car , too low for gravel . So me not being one for modifying much I think I'll leave it as it is . 

Gary .

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm going to have to follow along Gary -  but I know I shouldn't! I've had the kit & Billy's decals in my Spotmodel cart since they were released but have managed to resist clicking the buy button so far! :)

Keith

Go on Keith  , do it . You know you want too !!

Gary

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Meanwhile I have been preparing the chassis and body with grey primer . Spray booth set up not the best , but it works for me !

Your spray booth looks very similar to mine.  I'll be following along with this one. Are you going to add the spotlights on the front as well?

Reminds me I ought to build that Paris-Dakar Rothmans 959 at some point. So much choice in the stash.

Michael.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, galaxyg said:

Your spray booth looks very similar to mine.  I'll be following along with this one. Are you going to add the spotlights on the front as well?

Reminds me I ought to build that Paris-Dakar Rothmans 959 at some point. So much choice in the stash. 

Michael.

I will be adding the bottom spotlights,  yes . I have some left over from another build , but they don't have the Cibie branded covers unfortunately  . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

I've just started this one. I'm having serious problems with masking and painting anything! I've found some pics of it's release with Walter Rohrl who tested and later raced it, the car stands higher off the ground tha the model does. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PatW said:

I've just started this one. I'm having serious problems with masking and painting anything! I've found some pics of it's release with Walter Rohrl who tested and later raced it, the car stands higher off the ground tha the model does. 

The masking over the front wheel arch is scaring me !

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll be following on, having got one of these in stock. The low ride height & tarmac tyres were a disappointment to my mind, not sure what I'll do to address that come the day.

Steve.

But low ride and tarmac tyres are what I need for mine !

Gary.  

1 minute ago, galaxyg said:

I might have the pods behind as well. I'll have a look in a bit and see what I can find.

Thanks 😊 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Another @Windy37 masterclass on an iconic type! I'll follow along if I may?

Stay safe            Roger

Your quite welcome Roger . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

The masking over the front wheel arch is scaring me !

But low ride and tarmac tyres are what I need for mine !

Gary.  

Thanks 😊 

Yes windy37, the painting is worrying me too and I only have Metallic Blue. Sprays cans that I use are in expensive short supply, £5.99 per tin and £5.99 shipping! Too expensive! Due to no model shops that carry much and a 20+ mile round trip to spend diesel on!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PatW said:

Due to no model shops that carry much and a 20+ mile round trip to spend diesel on!

Have you tried Halfords Pat, I'm sure they'd have an aerosel solid blue that's closer than a metallic?

Keith

• Like 1

Well no keefr22 as that is a 20 mile round trip! I have done in the past when I passed it on the way to work.

Update. I've looked at all of the instructions and it doesn't say what variety of blue it should be! Newsflash on the spray can paint front. I've found a Plasti-Kote Night Blue can in my cabin, but perhaps not enough in it to do a good job. This product I've used in the past with very good results and my very small local hardware store sells it! So how dark a Blue do we need do you think?

• Like 1

On 30/07/2022 at 22:26, PatW said:

So how dark a Blue do we need do you think?

I'd say it's more a Royal Blue than a Midnight blue but it's definitely not a metallic. That's the advantage of airbrushing as a number of model car paint manufacturers do ready mixed Rothmans Blue...

There's a good close up pic here that I think shows the colour fairly well;

https://www.hiroboy.com/thumbnail/1200x1200/userfiles/images/sys/products/Rothmans_Racing_Dark_Blue_PorscheHonda_60ml_58094.jpeg

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'd say it's more a Royal Blue than a Midnight blue but it's definitely not a metallic. That's the advantage of airbrushing as a number of model car paint manufacturers do ready mixed Rothmans Blue...

There's a good close up pic here that I think shows the colour fairly well;

https://www.hiroboy.com/thumbnail/1200x1200/userfiles/images/sys/products/Rothmans_Racing_Dark_Blue_PorscheHonda_60ml_58094.jpeg

Keith

I've read , while researching  , that different shades of blue were used for the Rothmans hue . I've seen the pictures of Prodrives museum 911 and I'm hoping the Tamiya TS15 will be the correct match . 

The kit instructions suggest to use a mix of blue , clear blue and clear red  , all Mr Hobby paints . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

I've had a look and spoken to the dealer that sells Plasti-Kote locally and stocks are generally very low, so nothing from them yet. I have gone rogue and am painting with the Metallic Blue, as the Midnight Blue is nearly black. I know the colour differs but that's me, using just what I have available. Sorry guys.  

• Like 2

The Porsche is a relatively easy kit , however painting the famous Rothmans colour scheme has been giving me some pondering moments . First off , how to get the correct curve on the front and rear wings . Well , I photocopied the supplied decals , I then cut out the curved part of the decal and used it as a template on a strip of masking tape . Drawing around the template and then carefully cutting this out gave me the correct curve shape on the masking tape which I then placed in the correct position . I repeated this on all four corners where the decals will follow the shape of the body . The only reference for a straight line to mask too cuts annoyingly through the door handle recesses . Up or down an half an inch would have made model makers lives easier !

52259105020_a2877ff8b6_c_d.jpg
52258619041_eff046e850_c_d.jpg
52258634693_20823582a4_c_d.jpg

Then it was onto wrapping the 911 in masking tape 

52258618806_6ce6d76c2c_c_d.jpg

Sprayed using Tamiya TS15 which immediately I could see was too dark . As I have mentioned previously , I used this colour as it was recommended by Tamiya in their Porsche 956 group C kit . But comparing it to the blue in the decals for my 911 , and reference pictures , it is definitely too dark , for the rally cars at least . 

52260208198_4d05d9a389_c_d.jpg

So , rather than re- order more paint and wait for it too arrive , me being impatient , I had a ride to our local motor factors ( Motosave ) , with the decals and matched them up to the tins of blue spray paint they had on display . Holts HDBLU02 was the nearest match . Once home I re sprayed the 911 and the results was instantly better . 
This is the car unwrapped and finished in Holts HDBLU02 , the difference with the darker TS15 on the test bottles clear to see . I think Tamiya TS51 racing blue would be equivalent to the Holts if anyone is building Rothmans machinery in the future . The patches of over spray will be hidden under the gold stripe . The camera makes the car still seem too dark !
52262826854_76bbd3ac92_c_d.jpg

The rear end of the 911 ; it seems strange building a car with a rear engine , such simple suspension too . 
52258900629_540275b330_c_d.jpg

And finally for this update , the Circuit of Ireland decals have arrived from Spotmodels . Despite the postage cost the service from them is first class . I’m not on commission …….
52258618726_ced2650dd1_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 8