RAF in the Early 80s

5 hours ago, BerndM said:

An impressive line up of well build and painted models.

Indeed great marking schemes.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Those were the days, my days anyway. Very cool display.

Yes for me too at all those late 70s & early 80s airshows

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, binbrook87 said:

What a fabulous collection! 👍👍 Happy times and happy memories

Yes indeed!

• Like 1

Oh what an amazing line up!

I have yet to find an aircraft that doesn't look good in Grey/Green wrap around, it is the 80's RAF in a nutshell.

Superb!

Matt

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:54 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Airshows? Nah. I spent those decades working on most of them. Get some in. 🤣

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 🙂

feeling too young for that!…. Hope they look right though for those that did work on them

On 7/30/2022 at 10:02 PM, Troffa said:

What a Top notch display Sir!  Very well done, and most impressive.  

Thank you!

23 hours ago, gazza l said:

A superb collection of models from the days when the RAF had a diverse range of aircraft in attractive colour schemes.

gazza l

Yes a good old mix.  Wittering, Binbrook, Wattisham, Lossiemouth, Lyneham, and the rest.  Names that go with the jets that were there

18 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Oh what an amazing line up!

I have yet to find an aircraft that doesn't look good in Grey/Green wrap around, it is the 80's RAF in a nutshell.

Superb!

Matt

yes always looked right to me!

14 hours ago, SirDrinksalot said:

What a great collection and as others said, a great time for the RAF fleet, how about a BAe146 from the Queens flight!

Well I was thinking of a Jetstream before a 146, but they look nice.  I was looking at the Duxford one the other day.  Would love a vacform 1/48 of either.  3D print is great but rather pricey

12 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Superb flightline of some of the RAFs finest. Your pictures look like an British airshow from the early 80’s 

I have a bunch of US & Euro 80s aircraft too - Soesterberg Eagle, Dutch Starfighter, German Gina and Recon Phantom, Bentwaters A-10, several Euro F-16s, Upper Heyford Spark Vark, TR-1, Blackbird, etc so could do a decent early 80s Mildenhall show line up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, Winded Penguin said:

Lovely 👍

As a longshot, can I ask if the Hawker Hunter is representing XF382 from 234 Squadron Tactical Weapons Unit (I'm currently building an F6A 1/48 Hunter)?

I got her out & checked today.  She is XG130 of 45 Sqn RAF Wittering.  She shouldn’t really be in the line up as she crashed (pilot survived) in Jun 1974 so can’t make an 80s line up.  Really need a 1/48 wrap around camo twin seat Hunter.  They did look very cool

xNbAtKb.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bar side said:

I got her out & checked today.  She is XG130 of 45 Sqn RAF Wittering.  She shouldn’t really be in the line up as she crashed (pilot survived) in Jun 1974 so can’t make an 80s line up.  Really need a 1/48 wrap around camo twin seat Hunter.  They did look very cool

She's a beauty, especially in that paint scheme 👍, Thank you.

I am hoping to finish mine soon. She's an F6A in 1976, so quite similar looking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winded Penguin said:

She's a beauty, especially in that paint scheme 👍, Thank you.

I am hoping to finish mine soon. She's an F6A in 1976, so quite similar looking. 

Cheers.  Hunters always just look right.  I used to love watching G-HUNT back in the day.  Hope to build a model of her to go with my Airfix G-FIRE.  I messed up by painting the back of the canopy, but didn’t know any better when I built her

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Superb collection you've built there, I've taken a trip back to childhood looking at them :)

Thanks Woody

1 minute ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It's all very impressive work!  I loved seeing the Dominie come together and couldn't believe the boldness of the project.  Great job and lovely display!

Don't know about boldness with the Dominie, I guess no one said it couldn’t be done so I kept going.  Just don’t seem to get the time for a scratch build now though.  He says sitting here feeding leds in to the wing tip of a Phantom…

• Like 1