RAF in the Early 80s

When I started making 1/48 scale kits I started with a Canberra PR.9 and painted her in grey / green camo.  A Hunter and Lightning followed, also in grey/green.  This theme developed until I had a Tornado, Jaguar, Harrier, Hawk and a Phantom.  That only left a Buccaneer todo but they were difficult to get hold of and expensive.  Then I realised that Italeri did a Hercules - wrap around grey/green it had to be!  I couldn’t do the trainers in camo, so red and white for a second Hawk, Jet Provost and a scratch built Dominie.  Then this year produced the new Chipmunk kit which quickly got added.  Leaving just the Buccaneer to do which I finished a few weeks back.

Now I can’t think of any further regular kits of RAF aircraft from this period with the exception of the Tarangus Bulldog.  I could do with a Jet Provost T5 but that’s about it.  I could, with unlimited funds that I don’t have, get a 3D printed Vulcan, Victor and Andover. But that’s not likely.  I do, however, have a Sanger  a form Shackelton to build.

The quality of them is, er, variable!  I was learning along the way!  Some have bits of after market, most are out of the box.  Some have lights and two have motorised props.  Anyway, this is how they look

8lbh201.jpg

VvQLom7.jpg

DY71xlR.jpg

I couldn’t leave the non-grey/green ones out though.  So added in a Tornado F3, couple of grey Phantoms, a grey Jaguar and a green Harrier GR.5

scmxIHN.jpg

gKrLRoy.jpg

So there we have it.  I still have another FGR2 to build, plus the Shack.  And must get a Bulldog.  But that’s my 80s RAF

• Like 59

6 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Lovely collection.  All done to a pleasing standard.  Great work!    What kit is the HS.125?  I wasn't aware of a 1/48 kit ... or is that scratched?

Scott

Cheers.  That is scratch built.  I did it to see if I could, but have never got around to doing a Jetstream!

1 minute ago, Phantom Phixer said:

A 92 Sqn Phantom, awesome.  Where do you keep them all?, surely not hanging from the bedroom ceiling?

Phixer

In the loft mainly!  I had a 1/72 Vulcan, Victor and Herc on my bedroom ceiling as a kid though

1 minute ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

What a great collection- amazing in 1/48 scale- the hardest part no doubt is displaying it.🙂

Colin

They do need a little space!

3 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lovely work. I'm doing the same thing in 1/72 but I've figured out its possible to have each in a different scheme. So far I've done... 3 (Hunter, Hawk, Bucc). But lots more in the stash!

And lots more kits in 1/72 - all the best with them

3 hours ago, canberraman said:

A terrific and eye catching selection of the RAF's finest and from a time before 50 shades of grey became the norm ;)

Or some desert yellow, bit of pink but yes todays are a bit predictable.  Do need a grey Tornado GR.4 though….

1 hour ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

What a marvelous collection!! 

thank you!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Superb! That’s a brilliant collection from a great time to be an aviation enthusiast. So many different types, bases and unit markings. What a difference to these days when one is lucky to see a couple of grey, anonymous F-35s in a whole afternoon at Marham. 

I have a similar collection, though still need the huge Herc. 

How about some 80’s RAF choppers next? The 1/48 Italeri Wessex has just been reissued, and you could add a Gazelle and Chinook. Though good luck finding the 1/48 Hasegawa Sea King HAR.3 for under £80! 

Or some two seaters; Harrier, Jag and Lightning …

11 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Superb! That’s a brilliant collection from a great time to be an aviation enthusiast. So many different types, bases and unit markings. What a difference to these days when one is lucky to see a couple of grey, anonymous F-35s in a whole afternoon at Marham. 

I have a similar collection, though still need the huge Herc. 

How about some 80’s RAF choppers next? The 1/48 Italeri Wessex has just been reissued, and you could add a Gazelle and Chinook. Though good luck finding the 1/48 Hasegawa Sea King HAR.3 for under £80! 

Or some two seaters; Harrier, Jag and Lightning …

Cheers - yes thought you must have most of these too!

I tend to go to Lakenheath rather than Marham.  Very tempted to do the F-15C retirement special.

As to helicopters, I have a Lynx & do fancy a Wessex or Gazelle. A nice yellow Sea King would be good.  Always hope that Revell will do what they did with the Phantom and put a release out of the Hasegawa kit. Shame Kitty Hawk has gone for a 2 seat Jag.  And you can only get a 2 seat Hunter with a pricey conversion kit.  2 seat Harrier is a better option from Kinetic.

• Like 1

Awesome!  I'm planning on something similar though I don't have the skill or patience to scratchbuild the missing pieces of the jigsaw like you've done....I take my hat off you you.

The 80s was a great time to be in the mob I reckon.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

11 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

What a fabulous collection! 👍👍 Happy times and happy memories

Cheers!

11 hours ago, simonj said:

Great collection 

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

Awesome!  I'm planning on something similar though I don't have the skill or patience to scratchbuild the missing pieces of the jigsaw like you've done....I take my hat off you you.

The 80s was a great time to be in the mob I reckon.

Cheers

Gaz

Well I did start a scratch idea for a VC-10.  The fuselage is just a bit bigger than a Pringles tube as it turns out!  Just don’t get the time.  80s is just the way I remember them so that’s the way I like to see them.

2 minutes ago, bar side said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

Well I did start a scratch idea for a VC-10.  The fuselage is just a bit bigger than a Pringles tube as it turns out!  Just don’t get the time.  80s is just the way I remember them so that’s the way I like to see them.

Same here, good times. 

And I remember thinking that the VC10 tailplane was bigger than the mainplane of a Jaguar when I first encountered one......a bit on the large side you could say.

11 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Lovely 👍

As a longshot, can I ask if the Hawker Hunter is representing XF382 from 234 Squadron Tactical Weapons Unit (I'm currently building an F6A 1/48 Hunter)?

That’s a good question!  She has generally avoided the camera so will have to go in to the loft to see!  She was an early build before I started posting on here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

Same here, good times. 

And I remember thinking that the VC10 tailplane was bigger than the mainplane of a Jaguar when I first encountered one......a bit on the large side you could say.

Yes, I tried a mock-up for scale.  I started trying to shape up a nose but the shape looked a bit wrong.  Might get back to it one day

t0bdMZI.jpg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, bar side said:

Yes, I tried a mock-up for scale.  I started trying to shape up a nose but the shape looked a bit wrong.  Might get back to it one day

t0bdMZI.jpg

That would be brilliant to see built, and a great achievement.

Go on...you know you want to :winkgrin:

17 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

That would be brilliant to see built, and a great achievement.

Go on...you know you want to :winkgrin:

Very back burner plan at the moment.  Really want to get on with the Sanger Shackelton this year.  Two Phantoms (not UK ones) on the go at the moment

• Like 1