Hansa Kogge 1/72 by Zvezda

I have to say I kind of enjoyed building this, it was so nice to work on something I could see WITHOUT a magnifying lens.

It was a sort of practise for my forthcoming build, but that's a story for another day.

There were a few part to part fit problems but I think they've disappeared under the paint, which sort of gives the impression of wood, I hope. And the sail looks a bit like canvas.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these few photos.

Jon

p?i=fb56b5795f483b114edbc0b8c48be66f

p?i=69914c0a898003cfc762180b1f8d7dd0

p?i=5fcd48a40125b4b49f448bfeaf6c8c2e

p?i=b1f4a0aaa3a2dcecaccd35d5f5caae65

p?i=1afd2d8c246eef2cc42bf20c21d503a2

p?i=e2050455e533eabec89e6a81dc58ae74

p?i=8ea90422d4b3b4f746db11e195a6e7a4

p?i=13300f2dee0e3a226c0178b0f8145d9c

p?i=b411dc2e7441be371ed5dcc4e7091f7c

p?i=b504d234e2be9b3c5fab7968deae873f

• Like 25

Just now, Bertie McBoatface said:

The sail came out blooming marvellous. The only way to tell that it's not cloth is that there's a wind blowing. It's better than the wood and the wood is brilliant!

I've just got to find somewhere to put the ######## thing.:shrug:

Jon

• Like 1

What a cracking result Jon. The 'wood' is spot on and the sail is fantastic too. Great work, and all the best with your next project.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Gidday Jon, she looks great. It's nice to do a simple model from time to time that goes together without any problems. Your ship here still looks very authentic though, as I remember them anyway. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Well done Sir - you have delivered a superb piece of work.  I echo everything that has been said about your paint skills on the woodwork and the sail. 

Maybe you'd be willing to share your method for each?  I am sure we would all find it very helpful for our own efforts.

Thank you

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Norseman 3:16 said:

Maybe you'd be willing to share your method for each?  I am sure we would all find it very helpful for our own efforts.

I’ll try to explain, but I sort of made it up as I went along.

Luckily the moulding of the wood grain and texture on the sail were good and quite deep.

For the wood.

I first washed the parts well to remove any release agent the applied a very light coat of grey rattle can primer, not too much or the wood grain would fill up.

Once dry, I brushed on AK Interactive AK5032 'Wooden Deck', it didn’t matter how well or not it went on, as wood is not uniform in colour. 
After that had dried completely, over night, I used some Vallejo Model Air Burnt Umber thinned with water, about 50/50. I dipped a flat wide brush into this mixture, then got the brush nearly dry on absorbent kitchen roll and then painted this on to the wood, across the grain, dry brushing in other words. Kept doing this until I was happy with the result.

For the Sail.

Much the same start as the wood, but I used a darker base coat, this time Tamiya Acrylic XF60 Dark Yellow. As before allowed to dry, then used the same colour with added white XF2, thinned the mixture with water and did the same as with the wood, slowly adding more white to highlight the top of the texture.

The main thing is knowing when to stop, it’s always tempting to add ‘just one more coat’ and the next thing you know you’ve lost the impression of any texture.

I hope this is of help.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jon, thank you so much for this. You explained your method really well.

It is so helpful to get an understanding of how results are delivered - everyone will now have a confident position from which they can ‘experiment’ and make their own changes.
It’s advice like this that helps the hobby grow. 
Thanks again

Wilson

• Like 1