Mosqutio PRXVI from the new airfix BXVI

PhantomBigStu

The most obvious one is that the PR.XVI didn't have a bulged bombay.  If I was starting with the Airfix kit, I'd look at x-kitting the standard bombay from either the Hasegawa or one of the Tamyia kits, plus modifying part C11 by replacing that bulged bit directly behind the crew door with a curved piece of flat styrene contoured to the fuselage.  Also part C2 would have to be replaced with another bit of styrene and contoured to the adjoining fuselage.  The kit's bomb doors (C16) should be discarder in favour of their counterparts from the Hasegawa or Tamyia kits.

While I don't have the kit (just looking at the downloaded instructions and Googled sprue shots), Airfix supply the proper PR canopy with the astrodome above the navigator's head. They also provide both the blown and blistered side panels.  Use parts H10 and H11.

An underside view of a PR.XVI (again, Google) will reveal the camera ports.  Scroll down to page 12 of this thread for a pretty good shot of a PR.XVI banking off to starboard and giving a good view of the camera ports....- 1 at the fwd end of each bomb door and 3  on the underside/side of the rear fuselage behind the bomb doors. 

1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released - Page 12 - The Rumourmonger - Britmodeller.com

They also frequently flew with the smaller capacity slipper tanks fitted (I think the kit has the larger capacity tanks, doesn't it?).   I believe that they can be sourced from one or both of the kits you used for the bomb doors.

Scott

• Thanks 1

Ah so I can't do it out of the box....shame whilst probably can the 2nd kit for a decent price, whole point was picking something high on my non Group build que that can go without buying anything, still good to have the info for the future. 

28 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ah so I can't do it out of the box....shame whilst probably can the 2nd kit for a decent price, whole point was picking something high on my non Group build que that can go without buying anything, still good to have the info for the future. 

Well hopefully it won't be too long before Airfix give us the PR boxing, though by then we might have the Special Hobby kit as well, which is why I'm not bothering till then to do my twin stage Mossie PR's.

• Like 1

Tbolt ... i agree with you.  I'm starting to think that by the time I can get my proposed PR.XVI conversion (Hasegawa and CMK) out of storage with the rest of my stash, we may well have a choice of PR's in 72nd.  Both Special Hobby and AZ have made such an announcement, some time back.  Question now is, will we even see a PR.XVI from either of them?   Priorities could change between then and now.  🙂

Scott

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Tbolt ... i agree with you.  I'm starting to think that by the time I can get my proposed PR.XVI conversion (Hasegawa and CMK) out of storage with the rest of my stash, we may well have a choice of PR's in 72nd.  Both Special Hobby and AZ have made such an announcement, some time back.  Question now is, will we even see a PR.XVI from either of them?   Priorities could change between then and now.  🙂

Scott

We will see the SH one, not sure about  the AZ one as that seems to have gone quite.

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If it’s any consolation fellows, I’m still waiting for the Albacore and the A-26’s they announced! :angry:

Mike

I think we'll probably see the Albacore before the Mossie. I don't mind waiting for my favourite subjects as the manufacturers improve the quality of their kits as they go along.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:49 AM, ben_m said:

Freightdog models does the non-bulged bomb bay doors in this set: https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product/freightdog-1-72-dh-mosquito-b-xvi-h2s-conversion-set-2/

Shame its out of stock....going back to the earlier comment, If I were to get a Tamiya BIV, I assume I can use the bulged bay on that to do something? 

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

If I were to get a Tamiya BIV, I assume I can use the bulged bay on that to do something? 

You could simply do a bulged bomb bay Mk.IV Series II

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

You could simply do a bulged bomb bay Mk.IV Series II

Ah ok, wasn't aware they were fitted with the bulged bay, but seems though there's no decal options out there, and can't get red/yellow code letters of the right size to do your own......stilll tempting to pick up a tamiya BIV anyway, then again, If I'm doing also interested in trying the airfix FBXVIII nose on an FBVI so I may end up getting an FBVI......see what happens...got an item no received case to open later so perhaps when that's settled Ill have the funds for another kit, or maybe I should just build the XVI bomber in the exoectation airfix will do the PR one next year....

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I know the Mosquito and Beaufighter by Kits at War, DDK7219 has 2 options for bulged bomb bay Mk.IVs if you can find that sheet.

Other sheets that have yellow outlined codes that may be of use (subject to finding them):

Mosquito PT. II, Eagle Strike Productions, 72076

Mosquito Mk.IV, Eagle Editions, 72167 (Hannants has some)

Mosquito Part 1, ADS Decals, 012-72

These are the sheets I know of, there could be more out there, or if you can get some custom printed decals.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

I know the Mosquito and Beaufighter by Kits at War, DDK7219 has 2 options for bulged bomb bay Mk.IVs if you can find that sheet.

Other sheets that have yellow outlined codes that may be of use (subject to finding them):

These are the sheets I know of, there could be more out there, or if you can get some custom printed decals.

Dan

As it happens that Eaglecal sheet has I'm option what google tells me has the same codes as one of the Series II BIV's so thats saved for future reference, hopefully will still be around when I decided to built the tamiya, assuming I got for that as I'm now really torn which route I got down, might just do the XVI bomber now as an easy build and hope the modelling gods give us the PR in a red box next year.....

edit: in facts I've decided, BXVI it is, nice simple build. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 4 months later...

Bumping this up, for a related question, I might get myself a Tamiya BIV and nick the bomb bay for my paused BXVI to become the PRXVI if Airfix don't annouce a PR boxing come tuesday, leaving me with a BIV kit sans bomb bay, my question is, I have an Airfix FBXVIII nose spare could I turn my BIV into one with plasticard and filler for the bomb bay? 

29 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

You would also need a fighter canopy. 

27 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Would a spare from the airfix FB suffice? 

The PR XVI used the standard bomber windscreen, except all had bulged side windows (not the teardrop bulges) and some had a navigator astrodome. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The PR XVI used the standard bomber windscreen, except all had bulged side windows (not the teardrop bulges) and some had a navigator astrodome. 

We were talking about the fbxviii, still thanks for confirming I don’t need a replacement canopy for the PR

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2022 at 15:00, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Dan

Perhaps can you help me

Alain