Fiat 2000 Heavy Tank (M.34) 1/35

xebec

State of the build.....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Getting close to having the hull and turret finished and ready for paint. Suspension is ready to go together- just need to make the side skirts, and this will wrap up pretty quickly.

• Like 7

Really starting to look like it should.

Do you drill a hole for each Tichy Train rivet or do you slice the head off and glue in place?

If you wanted to give the nail caviar a try I would suggest that you get a small round burr of about 0.6mm or 0.7mm to make a half hole and use a very tiny applicator to but a wee tiny bit of medium viscosity CA in the depression before dropping the nail caviar in place.  Any excess can be cleaned up with a cotton bud and a bit of CA debonder.

I use a lot of the Tichy Train rivets but my supply is not endless. There is a local store which caters to the train crowd but they don't always have stock and I usually buy all that they have ;) hence my interest in the nail caviar.  Ordering from the US is costly - not so much the rivets but the shipping is.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Really starting to look like it should.

Do you drill a hole for each Tichy Train rivet or do you slice the head off and glue in place?

If you wanted to give the nail caviar a try I would suggest that you get a small round burr of about 0.6mm or 0.7mm to make a half hole and use a very tiny applicator to but a wee tiny bit of medium viscosity CA in the depression before dropping the nail caviar in place.  Any excess can be cleaned up with a cotton bud and a bit of CA debonder.

I use a lot of the Tichy Train rivets but my supply is not endless. There is a local store which caters to the train crowd but they don't always have stock and I usually buy all that they have ;) hence my interest in the nail caviar.  Ordering from the US is costly - not so much the rivets but the shipping is.

cheers, Graham

Thanks Graham,

I drill a hole for each according to the drill size recommended by Tichy, then just cut off the sprue and insert the neck of the rivet-it's easy and precise as long as your drilling is accurate. Then I just run a little liquid styrene cement across the heads, and it's enough. No real glue to clean up. I can see why it would be unattractive if it were expensive, but for me it's just a very easy and precise method. I always order direct from Tichy-they are always very fast and efficient. You might email them and ask about shipping.... just $5 US, but what Would be added for Canada, I can't say. I might try the caviar or solder ball method just out of interest, but it seems like it would be much more fiddly than the Tichy rivets. I'll have to give it a go on something and see, I suppose. 

9 hours ago, xebec said:

I might try the caviar or solder ball method just out of interest, but it seems like it would be much more fiddly than the Tichy rivets.

It is a bit but mostly just different.  When I use the Tichy Train rivets I do just as you.  In either case you need to drill a hole or make a shallow hole and then put the rivet in place and glue.  Perhaps I should look at ordering direct from Tichy again.

Incidentally, if you do look at the nail caviar option, they are often advertised as being acrylic nail caviar - the nail caviar or wee tiny balls themselves are not acrylic they are glass; they are being advertised for use on acrylic nails.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Overall it is great and those tracks and wheels are superb. Very crisp and detailed. Top work.👍

Thank you Stef. A little cleaning up the prints, and this stuff is about ready for priming, I think. 

Really starting to come together nicely.

I have been doing some research on 3D printers - what a broad and confusing subject ;) 

What 3D printer are you using and what software is being used to create your files for printing?  You may have already mentioned in one of your posting but I can't put my finger on the answer.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Really starting to come together nicely.

I have been doing some research on 3D printers - what a broad and confusing subject ;) 

What 3D printer are you using and what software is being used to create your files for printing?  You may have already mentioned in one of your posting but I can't put my finger on the answer.

cheers, Graham

Thanks Graham- moving toward completion shortly.

I got into the printing stuff maybe 4 years ago, so my printers aren't really state of the art. I got a resin printer to start- an Elegoo Mars (1), which really isn't available anymore. You can pick up an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro for under $200 US through Amazon right now. For a little more scratch (~$ 270 US) You can get a Mars 3 with 4K resolution (higher print resolution, thus finer detail) which has a little bit larger print area. For printing detail parts, wheels, tracks, guns, grab handles, hatches and copulas- anything like that, the resin printer is the one to use.   

I picked up an FDM (filament printer) shortly after- a Creality Ender 3, which has been a fantastic printer. You can still get the more modern version of this one for under $300 US, but there are several incarnations. For scale model stuff, a basic version is fine, since you won't need to print with exotic filaments- you probably just use basic PLA filament- this is for hulls, skirts, turrets, or anything which is large, with flat planar surfaces, and can print larger parts.

As far as software for model creation, I use Tinkercad whenever I can- I'm very comfortable with it, and it's easy to learn, at least compared to other 3D CAD programs. I sometimes need to work in Fusion as well, but this is less comfortable for me- much steeper learning curve. Tinkercad is free, web-based, and, despite what many think, is incredible powerful in terms of making complex scale parts. 

I'll be happy to discuss whatever other questions you might have about this topic. 

• Thanks 1

Graham, One other thing I might add, that many don't realize, is how incredibly useful the FDM (filament) printer is in making tools, templates, jigs, and like that. Here's a pic of some of the things I made on the FDM printer for modelling that I have used in the last few days- I have many more that I haven't gotten out for the picture, but you get the idea:

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

thank you for all that.

I am going to go and spend some time reading through the https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/697-modelling-using-3d-printing/  section here on Britmodeller. I always knew it was there but sometimes a quick question in the right place and the right time gets good answers.

I like your tools and jigs - seems to be a common use for 3D printers.

I think my interest in 3D printers is driven more by the desire to create small detail parts - wheels, fittings, and what not rather than big pieces like the hull of your Fiat. 

Never say never - Ancora Imparo

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKrypton said:

thank you for all that.

I am going to go and spend some time reading through the https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/697-modelling-using-3d-printing/  section here on Britmodeller. I always knew it was there but sometimes a quick question in the right place and the right time gets good answers.

I like your tools and jigs - seems to be a common use for 3D printers.

I think my interest in 3D printers is driven more by the desire to create small detail parts - wheels, fittings, and what not rather than big pieces like the hull of your Fiat. 

Never say never - Ancora Imparo

cheers, Graham

The printing part is easy, the CAD part is a little harder. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The 3rd Placer said:

The printing part is easy, the CAD part is a little harder. :)

Indeed and I have said the same thing.  I am going to go and play around with TinkerCAD and see where leads.

cheers, Graham 

16 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Indeed and I have said the same thing.  I am going to go and play around with TinkerCAD and see where leads.

cheers, Graham 

Fusion 360 is free for the hobbyist, I  like it but I never have used TinkerCAD.

• Thanks 1

Ok, here's an update....know it's been awhile. 

Have the suspension initially painted and weathered and in-place- I had to do it this way, because the massive side skirts are going to make it impossible to access the suspension. Next I'll be on to doing the final cleanup and finishing on the hull, turret and side skirts- just waiting for a few materials to show up this week from Amazon....

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Bear in mind, while it may seem relatively unfinished, almost all of this is going to be completely invisible once the side skirts are in place, so I didn't really want to spend a lot of time working on something nobody would ever see. 

Edited by xebec
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, xebec said:

I didn't really want to spend a lot of time working on something nobody would ever see. 

Yes but you know it's there. That is why we sometimes spend so much time doing such things ;)

Moving along nicely and looking good.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Yes but you know it's there. That is why we sometimes spend so much time doing such things ;)

Moving along nicely and looking good.

cheers, Graham

Yeah, I struggle with that particular issue sometimes. Thanks for the kind words Graham. 

• Like 1

Everything is onboard now...just need to finish a few details, a little final finishing, and then on to paint. Included a 1/35 Italian Crew figure, just to demonstrate what a behemoth this thing actually was. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5