Fiat 2000 Heavy Tank (M.34) 1/35

xebec

I've decided to start a new build of an original model. This time something with tracks. The Fiat 2000 was never mass produced, and in fact, only two were ever built. The one I'm making is #2-the one with the dome turret. Unlike most prototype tanks, however, this tank did see some service. These vehicles were sent to the colonies, where they served in a counter-insurgency role during the 1920s and 1930s. In 1934, vehicle #2 was refitted with two 37mm L.40 anti-tank guns which replaced the two foremost Fiat M.1914 6.5mm machineguns. #2 continued to serve in Italian North Africa at least up to the eve of the second World War,-the last accounting for this vehicle was in 1939, and it's ultimate fate is unknow, 

spacer.png

So, here is a beginning to this project: I modeled the hull parts, the turret, and the side skirts in Tinkercad, and the upper hull is on the FDM printer now. I'll know more about how this will progress in 16 hours or so......

spacer.png

• Like 8

A very interesting choice. I will be following along.

3D printers certainly add a new tool to scratchbuilding. I have given a lot of thought as to whether I should I embrace the technology knowing that the learning curve will be very steep. I am sitting on the fence as I don't know whether I would enjoy spending lots of time at the computer creating the necessary CAD files to be able to print my design or spending lots of time messing about with bits of plastic, resin, wood, and brass in order to build something up from basic materials - each has their merits and perhaps the better solution lies somewhere in between.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Model Mate said:

Nice choice of tank for a bit of printing - making that dome turret any other way would be quite a challenge. If this turns out anything like your armoured cars, we’re in for a real treat!

Lol, yes- the only easy option would be to adjust to ping-pong ball scale and go from there. I will try to build this at least to the same standards as the AB 611, so there's lots of rivet business in my future. 

3 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

It is a good choice, to build model of this interesting tank. I´ll follow your building.

Thanks Milan- I'll try to keep this regular and interesting if I can. 

Just now, xebec said:
24 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

A very interesting choice. I will be following along.

3D printers certainly add a new tool to scratchbuilding. I have given a lot of thought as to whether I should I embrace the technology knowing that the learning curve will be very steep. I am sitting on the fence as I don't know whether I would enjoy spending lots of time at the computer creating the necessary CAD files to be able to print my design or spending lots of time messing about with bits of plastic, resin, wood, and brass in order to build something up from basic materials - each has their merits and perhaps the better solution lies somewhere in between.

cheers, Graham

Yes Graham, these are very interesting times for modelers. We have lots more choices for sure, but time and money....probably the same old story-at least for me. I now find myself at the computer at least as much, when working on models, as at the workbench. I agree that 3d printing is at a stage where you must still have a diversity of manual fabrication skills to supplement the printed parts, if you want something truly scale. 

• Like 1

Ok. The Fiat 2000 is moving forward. I have the upper and lower hull printed and glued together. Sanded it a little bit, just to get some idea of what surfaces were going to need more filler than others. I also misaligned part of the rear lower hull, and had to correct it with styrene. All in all, a pretty good start, I think. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but I'm hoping it will start to shape up fairly quickly here. 

Edited by xebec
spelling...grrrr
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, xebec said:

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but I'm hoping it will start to shape up fairly quickly here. 

On the contrary, it is already starting to look like a Fiat 2000 heavy tank.

What are you planning for the tracks?  Individual 3D printed links or links and lengths or ???

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

For the tracks I'll be doing individually printed for all the readily visible links. On the upper run, between the idler and sprocket, a few simplified lengths, detailed on one side, will suffice- easier to print and work with, and and almost impossible to see at any rate. Those side skirts will make detailing almost anything on the suspension system, hull, or tracks underneath them a wasted effort, really. That kind of leaves me needing to really only model the tracks, idler, sprocket, and bogies/roadwheels in any real detail. Oh, and edited to add- those chain sprockets inboard of the drive sprocket-those are gonna take a little time in tinkercad for sure-lol   

Edited by xebec
  • Like 1

I finished modelling, and printed the turret. Now I have all the major hull parts (not sure at this point about how I will proceed with the skirts-thinking of just going with styrene sheet stock) that will be printed in FDM, and the process of filling and smoothing is on deck. Hopefully I'll have some of that done, and can post it here, by this evening. Wife is prowling the hallways now, though, and she has that look- chore assignment might be in my near future....

spacer.png

• Like 2

That's very impressive! You've two hull pieces... I'd always assumed that 3D printing created a 'solid' form, but I can see that both appear to be hollow inside. Must actually do some reading up on the process to try and get a better understanding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fittedkitchens said:

That's very impressive! You've two hull pieces... I'd always assumed that 3D printing created a 'solid' form, but I can see that both appear to be hollow inside. Must actually do some reading up on the process to try and get a better understanding.

Thank you fittedkitchens. You could print either way- I could have done it solid on an FDM printer like this, and you would choose how dense the "infill" would be. That tends to be less prone to distortions on a model like this with large, flat surfaces. I usually model them hollow, in case I ever want to include any interior detail. This one I will model all buttoned-up though. 

I did most of the initial filling and sanding on the hull, and printed the turret gun mantlet on the SLA printer:

spacer.pngspacer.png

You can see that there will be more filler needed, but I'll do that tomorrow, and do some of the filler work on the turret. 

• Like 2

Well, the filling and initial sanding are about complete. Just need to fill a few little blemishes with single part filler, and move on to the final surface finishing. The rivet work will begin soon. Here's the dusty little beast as she sits now:

spacer.pngspacer.png

After I finished sanding yesterday, I started working on the 3d models for the suspension, particularly the bogies, since those are the most complicated parts, and I wanted them out of the way:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Today I'll continue modelling the suspension, and start working on a riveting template....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, xebec said:

I started working on the 3d models for the suspension, particularly the bogies, since those are the most complicated parts

Moving along nicely.

I have made a conscious choice that I would work out the details for any wheels or bogies or tracks for any scratch builds or complicated kit bashing - in other words get the difficult done and mostly out of the way. After all, any vehicle without wheels or tracks is just a lump in the middle of the field and a nice set of wheels or tracks really sets the tone for the rest of the build.  Too many times I started out with the easy bits just to stall out on the wheels or tracks .

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Moving along nicely.

I have made a conscious choice that I would work out the details for any wheels or bogies or tracks for any scratch builds or complicated kit bashing - in other words get the difficult done and mostly out of the way. After all, any vehicle without wheels or tracks is just a lump in the middle of the field and a nice set of wheels or tracks really sets the tone for the rest of the build.  Too many times I started out with the easy bits just to stall out on the wheels or tracks .

cheers, Graham

I completely agree- I usually work out the basic shapes first, and then go straight to the chassis, steering, axles, wheels and tires, whatever, and get that all modelled and fitted. Trying to model the suspension and drive last has caused problems for me....

With that in mind, here's a little more of this business:

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Proof of life.....

Started on the riveting, or at least drilling for the rivets:

spacer.png

Modelled and printed the engine louvres: 

spacer.png

Most of the suspension is modeled now and ready for printing-that's what has consumed most of my spare time this week:

spacer.pngspacer.png

I test printed a spring set, a bogie, and some tracks, just to make sure everything was working together so far:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next up is to print the sprocket and idler to make sure this is going to go together as planned, and continue the riveting. 

• Like 4

that's some lovely detailed modelling work on the tracks and bogies.

I'll be interested to see what you use for your rivets - a few of us here on BM have adopted "nail caviar" or solder-balls - both available on ebay for peanuts. 0.8mm balls fitted into 0.7mm holes work pretty well for me to represent fairly large rivets. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Model Mate said:

that's some lovely detailed modelling work on the tracks and bogies.

I'll be interested to see what you use for your rivets - a few of us here on BM have adopted "nail caviar" or solder-balls - both available on ebay for peanuts. 0.8mm balls fitted into 0.7mm holes work pretty well for me to represent fairly large rivets. 

Thank you. I've seen you guys work with that. Very interesting, but my concern has been finding a suitable adhesive that doesn't require a ton of cleanup, and doesn't allow for all those tiny balls to get brushed off- I guess I'll need to look into it a little more. My go-to is Tichy Train rivets- they're just too easy, and relative to typical aftermarket detail parts, they are cheap. SO- you probably won't learn anything very revelatory from my riveting here....lol. Edited to add- that outstanding MK1 Gun Carrier you are building is a true inspiration- I guess you can tell me how those rivets hold up....

40 minutes ago, The 3rd Placer said:

This is wonderful, fantastic work sir.

Ryan

Thank you very much Ryan- I appreciate that. 

14 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

It is really excellent work.

Thanks Milan. I'll be posting a little more this evening- hopefully I'll have a lot of the rivets done. 

Edited by xebec

Have most of the riveting on the hull and turret done now. This took a little longer than I anticipated, but this represents about 90% of the riveting on this particular model. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I have also been running the printer in preparation for putting the suspension together:

spacer.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The 3rd Placer said:

Someone has to do it....so very RIVETING! :)

Perfect work sir.

Thank you sir. I was thinking of a Vickers Mk. III for my next project, but...... maybe something without rivets lol