Airfix 1/72 F4 Corsair

Here's another one I finished a while back.  I've always loved the Corsair, but it took a little while to get the colour right.  I tried a few new techniques, some of which worked, and others not so much.  Overall I like how it turned out, and I'm thinking of building a bigger one in the future, maybe with folded wings.  I painted it up with Tamiya acrylics and weathered it with Abteilung oils.  Enjoy!

5rDCRcf.jpg

wTQYkeW.jpg

rH3ihSz.jpg

YkLQ6Ux.jpg

aIFgEsB.jpg

14BAXJ1.jpg

wbaVizn.jpg

XHcK4Sf.jpg

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure that's an Airfix kit?  Looks just like a model I built out of a Tamiya box, one of the five (!) F4U-1s Ken Walsh used up between March and August 1943.

Your model is very nicely painted and weathered, your oil weathering technique is to be envied.  

Two criticisms: 1) even a single centreline drop tank wasn't an available option for the 1943 model year F4U-1; the dual tanks that came in with the F4U-1D are right out.   2)  The wheel bays would've been the underside colour (white light grey* in this case) and the quarterlight cutouts behind the canopy would've been the colour of the fuselage-- I doubt very much whether "Interior Green" (vice Bronze Green or Dull Dark Green) would've been present at all on an early F4U.  I'll give you full marks for following the kit paint callouts, however.  🙂

Edited by Jackson Duvalier
* It's humbling to realise I mis-corrected, nobody likes a Very Smart Boy who doesn't get his "well, actuallys" right.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Are you sure that's an Airfix kit?  Looks just like a model I built out of a Tamiya box, one of the five (!) F4U-1s Ken Walsh used up between March and August 1943.

Your model is very nicely painted and weathered, your oil weathering technique is to be envied.  

I was wondering about that, too. I'd built the Airfix kit way back in the late 60's and Erik's kit isn't close to that old piece of :poop:.

Chris

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 23:29, ErikT said:

Here's another one I finished a while back.  I've always loved the Corsair, but it took a little while to get the colour right.  I tried a few new techniques, some of which worked, and others not so much.  Overall I like how it turned out, and I'm thinking of building a bigger one in the future, maybe with folded wings.  I painted it up with Tamiya acrylics and weathered it with Abteilung oils.  Enjoy!

5rDCRcf.jpg

wTQYkeW.jpg

rH3ihSz.jpg

YkLQ6Ux.jpg

aIFgEsB.jpg

14BAXJ1.jpg

wbaVizn.jpg

XHcK4Sf.jpg

Nice, well done.

Alain