Ferrari 328 GTS

On 05/08/2022 at 21:14, galaxyg said:

I'll be adding some more details.

Further construction of the engine. The exhausts look very clean, but a coat of Tamiya Smoke makes for a lot better finish.  I've used the supplied red leads on the engine. I've seen people have wired this in their builds, but I've also seen real engines where the wires are held in something approaching this level of tidiness. So I'm going for tidy.

+++

I have a faint memory of adding an (improvised) oil filter to the engine.

(Wonder if this was really with the Hasegawa 328 or if they supplied one and my memory is playing tricks on me).

21 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

I have a faint memory of adding an (improvised) oil filter to the engine.

(Wonder if this was really with the Hasegawa 328 or if they supplied one and my memory is playing tricks on me).

There's no oil filter in the kit, but I have improvised one, as seen further below.

But first, more on the interior. Masking the doors.

spacer.png

Seat belt retainers

spacer.png

There are no speakers and no handbrake in this kit, so I've raided the parts box. These light covers will make OK enough speakers in the doors. They're not concave but are at least 3 dimensional.

spacer.png

Only later did I realise that although I've put the handbrake in what is the ergonomically logical place... of course Ferrari did not, and the real one is much more forward. Ah well. 

spacer.png

Speakers on the doors.

spacer.png

The oil filter will be made from an electrical resistor, which comes complete with mounting wires :)  At this point you can see also some more details added to the engine, including the piece of solder wire that runs between both cylinder heads.

spacer.png

The completed engine again, this time with Hasegawa detail + Extra detail.

spacer.png

• Like 15

It's been a while since I painted a non-metallic road car and I'd forgotten how easy it was to polish right through the paint. So this entire body has ben painted and polished - twice!.   These are the results of the second go, with many more layers of paint so I don't reveal the primer/plastic as I'd done right down the sides, especially the doors.  It's a nice shine now but like all solid-coloured model cars, a nice shine's appearance is equal to shiny injection moulded plastic's appearance.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

Looks good, but I know exactly what you meant about solid colours sometimes looking plasticky when polished up. It appears that red is the worst for this, but I do feel that there is something about the 2-D nature of the camera which really adds to the plasticness - for some reason I see that effect in photos all the time but never notice it when I see a painted model in the flesh.

• Like 2

With the addition of panel lines and some of the bodywork black, it stats to look more car-like and less toy-like. The black waist wraparound strip is neat as it's trimmed electrical tape.

spacer.png

Back at the front of the chassis, I've had to "weld" a girder in place in order to hold this vertical suspension mount in place, as it didn't want to stay there, not even with the encouragement of some electrical tape.

spacer.png

The exhaust system is fiddly to fit, as is the suspension. It's like a 3D puzzle.

spacer.png

Another shot of everything that's going on back here. Some superglue has been involved in the suspension area. I can only imagine the real car is somehow a bugger to service.

spacer.png

• Like 12

I have been watching a YouTube video by a guy (Number 27) who bought a 308 during lock-down and has been journaling his odyssey getting the car to run properly.

In the latest episode, he had to remove the front bank cylinder head and that was a right night-mare.

So, a right bugger to service' sounds about right!

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

A semi-rolling chassis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The glass is moulded with the side windows as part of it - certainly as it's the same sprue from the GTB.  The glass is comically thick if left in place, so that calls for some cutting.

spacer.png

Fortunately the cutting went well with no breakages. Hasegawa provide a nice raised "rubber" which is then easily outlined with a magic marker.

spacer.png

Kit inexplicably comes with German number plates. I've taken an Italian one from the parts box.

spacer.png

Another frequent bugbear of mine with kits - along with poor seat mounting -  is bad windscreen wipers. This kit is no different, the passenger wiper is an entirely straight item, seen here sitting on the bonnet. If used, it sits high up off the curved glass. The driver wiper fits OK. So I raid the parts box for something that fits better and fortunately - since I build so many cars as Right Hand Drive, I have a lot of spare Left Hand Drive wipers. The new passenger wiper is from a Fujimi Daihatsu Move CX, a car that could not be any more different to a Ferrari.

spacer.png

A first good look at something approaching the end result:

spacer.png

The black piece of trim here below the rear bodywork was twisted on the sprue. After gluing it and holding in place for about 5 minutes, it held.

spacer.png

The final details, the supplied PE fret.

spacer.png

• Like 12

I'm with you on the issue of bad wipers. Fortunately not had too many to date, but it is annoying to have to virtually burn you fingers trying to get them bent into shape to fit the windscreen of the car that they are supposedly made for. This one is really starting to come together well now. 👍

• Like 3

Seat mounting points GRRRR ! Why they can't have proper secure mounting holes and pins is beyond me . And it's not just the odd kit , it's every one I ve ever built  ! 

Right , rant over . The Ferrari is looking good . 

Gary . 

• Like 3

The PE Grille on the left and also in the kit, a plastic one (right) - I guess just in case you don't get along with the PE one - the PE is part of every issue of this kit anyhow.  The PE one is so much nicer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The are no side-shield decals in the kit, as this car did not appear to have them out-of-the-factory, but I have seen many examples online that've had them fitted. I like the look, so I have 3rd party ones.

spacer.png

That slightly scruffy number plate was bothering me, and I've found another suitable one in the spares box.

spacer.png

in place along with PE badges.

spacer.png

The front of the car annoyingly won't sit quite on the black lip of the chassis. I don't want to glue it as it'll almost certainly make a mess or I'll need to open it. I have no lead in the garage but I did have washers, so 4 washers and some double sided tape (and of course some electrical tape) later, the front is suitably weighted. And on that ignoble fix, here ends the WIP of this car, it's done!

spacer.png

• Like 10

Very nice. 

Just FYI, to this day fender badges are optional on Ferraris. For a hefty additional price of course. I am not sure for Euro cars, but on a US spec car it would cost about an extra $6500 for the fender shields. In the not too distant past, side mirrors were dealer installed options on Ferraris. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Very nice. 

Just FYI, to this day fender badges are optional on Ferraris. For a hefty additional price of course. I am not sure for Euro cars, but on a US spec car it would cost about an extra $6500 for the fender shields. In the not too distant past, side mirrors were dealer installed options on Ferraris. 

On current Ferraris I think the wing badges are separate, enamel items that have a wing pressing with a matched indent.  Which goes some way to explain the high cost of the option (but the price of the option will outstrip the cost to the factory).

On old Ferraris, the shields were stickers and the factory only applied them to works racing cars, but lots of owners applied them because they liked the look.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Very nice. 

Regarding the optional mirrors…

@galaxyg, beautiful work!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 1