My Airfix 1/72 Westland Sea King HC-4 ‘Junglie’

Well, that’s another one finished!

I bought this model as I’d always wanted a Sea King, but I doubt if I’d got away with building the earlier RAF Rescue Sea King in yellow livery - my wife hates the yellow as it affects her eyes. I was swayed by the camouflage pattern in the box - although I wouldn’t have minded building a grey Sea King either.

It was a great build, everything went here it should with almost no problems and very little filler needed.

the WIP is here

To paint the camouflage, started by painting the fuselage white. I did try to use Tamiya 2mm tape for curves but it wouldn’t conform to the tight curves and it started peeling away from the fuselage anyway. 
So I improvised a light source and resizes the colour call-out and printed them off. I then used the image, between two pieces of glass to trace and cut the white camouflage shapes and then stick the newly made mask to the fuselage. It took me the best part of a week - doing 2 hours a night - to complete. 
I then airbrushed lightened Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green onto the fuselage. 
The masking was removed to reveal the striking camouflage scheme and I was over the moon with it.

I had an issue with the rotor blades being bent from the way they were packed. I’d like, once again to thank Charlie @Johnson for his tip on straightening them with hot water on a flat surface and then cooling them with cold water to set them.
I painted them and while trying to remove some sticky residue, I broke one, but managed to rescue it by clamping it to a short lolly stick with small pegs and using MR Cement S to repair it. Once it was sanded, it was good as new.

Once the rotors were finished, and the smaller parts were fitted, the Sea King was done,

I hope you like it - I do!

fcBYMVG.jpg
tx12s3Y.jpg

9renElB.jpg
qy9w7bp.jpg

yOg1v8G.jpg

And with my Westland Lynx

fSbs4O0.jpg

vdyP7BS.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 44

13 minutes ago, junglierating said:

BZ  to you 👍

Now paint the fuel cap  rear of cabin door ....red ...splash of colour 😍 

Will do.

I forgot to thank you again for the info on the MAWS pods.

• Like 1