Cross-kitting Avro Anson and Airspeed Oxford

Black Knight

In 1/72

I'm thinking of using the engines from an Airfix Avro Anson on a Frog Airspeed Oxford as part of the conversion to make the Oxford into an Envoy

If I use the engines from the Oxford on the Anson can I make any version of the Anson then? A later version than the Airfix kit?

I'm not looking 100% accuracy but a just a good conversion through cross kitting and scratch building

• Like 1

As I remember them, the engines on the Frog Oxford are not exactly a high point of the kit. Maybe not as bad as those on the Baltimore, but still the cylinders are just some slim tubes with a few rings around them.

Back in the 1970s, needing the Oxford engines for my early vacform Avro XIX conversion kit, I then used the surplus Anson engines on an Envoy conversion of the Oxford . I still have the much beat-up models in the loft. The job works a treat. Waste not, want not - get converting!

• Like 3

On 7/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, tempestfan said:

As I remember them, the engines on the Frog Oxford are not exactly a high point of the kit. Maybe not as bad as those on the Baltimore, but still the cylinders are just some slim tubes with a few rings around them.

I am afraid that it is true. So maybe only Frog cowlings are suitable for this kit bashing...

Regards

J-W

But then, the Airfix Anson engines are moulded in the cowlings. Very basic things

1. I must look and see if I have any Cheetah engines

2. I don't have the February 1971 Airfix magazine, which also has a conversion article  It got binned, it got destroyed by water

3. I have both an Anson and an Oxford spare. I have time to do the conversions, but I don't have spare ££££ to buy more kits

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, Black Knight said:

I have both an Anson and an Oxford spare. I have time to do the conversions, but I don't have spare ££££ to buy more kits

The Oxford cowlings are fine (separate engines) - just the trailing edge needs filed parallel with the rest. The Anson's have a prominent mould-join right round the outside, though dead easy to file off. I'll be restoring my old conversions - not spending money on new kits!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a Post-War RN Anson with smooth cowlings, along with some from other Air Forces,  on one of the forthcoming Xtradecal sheets https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48234?result-token=kJwpR

You will need to source a radome, but at least you don't need to modify the cabin roof like you do for the Mk XII (iirc) onwards.

I would suggest doing some additional research, though, as I do suspect Xtradecals' research in places.  On one of the forthcoming sheets there's a reference to an Anson of Central Flying School, "RAF Uphaven". :hmmm: Wonder if that's anywhere near RAF Upavon?

Edited by MikeC