WOLFPACK MEETING

Good Day everyone,

Here is another WIP that has been challenging me.

It is a meeting of two german submarines in northern atlantic.

Wolfpack was a convoy attack tactic employed in the Second World War. It was used principally by the U-boats of the Kriegsmarine during the Battle of the Atlantic. In the Atlantic during the Second World War the Germans had considerable successes with their wolfpack attacks but were ultimately defeated by the Allies (thanks Wikipedia!!)

So, I got two german submarines, TYPE II B and TYPE VII C/41

WOLFPACK%201.jpg

and put them side by side on a small base

WOLFPACK%202.jpg WOLFPACK%203.jpg

The base is made by a plastic part upon which I applied coloured cotton.

I have made a water solution of blue color, on which I baptized cotton, which then I spread on the plastic surface and formed it by hand to have the wave effect. I let dry for 3 days, then coloyred white the wave peaks and finally applied clear acrylic lacquer on top.

I made a wooden frame, painted it black and after it dried I rubbed it a bit with sandpaper, to get a somehow worn-out look.

To fill the gaps, I will use cotton

WOLFPACK%206.jpg  WOLFPACK%207.jpg

and then cover it with a plexiglass cover, which I made by cutting and glueing 3mm thick plexiglass parts

WOLFPACK%208.jpg

Unfortunately during the process some U-boats parts broke, so they have to be made from scratch.

I started working on other projects too, so I left this one behind  for almost 2years!!! (can't say when I start something I finish it! Always behind schedule.....Hahaha)

Any comments welcome.

Be Well

Igkor

• Like 10

They do look very good, nice idea to put two together. The seascape looks good, but for me the cotton wool is one step too far, I don’t think it needs it.

Jon

22 minutes ago, Faraway said:

They do look very good, nice idea to put two together. The seascape looks good, but for me the cotton wool is one step too far, I don’t think it needs it.

Jon

Thank you Jon,

Maybe u are right, should consider a lighter way to fill the gaps

Be Well!

Igkor

• Like 1

It looks good Igkor, only criticism would be that they are too high in the water, the line between the dark and light grey at front and rear is approximately the waterline.

Also the second u-boat is a VIID not a type IIB (which was a coastal boat not an ocean going U-boat). 

All the best Chris

1 hour ago, whitestar12chris said:

It looks good Igkor, only criticism would be that they are too high in the water, the line between the dark and light grey at front and rear is approximately the waterline.

Also the second u-boat is a VIID not a type IIB (which was a coastal boat not an ocean going U-boat). 

All the best Chris

Τhanks for the remarks Chris.

Guess I should get back in literature about the U-boat types to improve my knowledge!

I will go on "sinking" them a bit.

Thanks again!

Be Welk!

Igkor

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IGKOR said:

I will go on "sinking" them a bit.

Gidday Igkor, I'll send over a couple of RN destroyers to help! 😁  Seriously, it's an interesting way of depicting your U-boats. Regards, Jeff.

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Igkor, I'll send over a couple of RN destroyers to help! 😁  Seriously, it's an interesting way of depicting your U-boats. Regards, Jeff.

👍👍