1/144 pilots

Wouter1981

When building some 1/144 aircraft, I bought some 1/144 pilots from Heroesmodels. They are very nicely modelled and higly detailed but when installing them into the cockpits I noticed they are to big. I had to cut off the lower body to fit them and the heads "fill out" a big part of the canopy. This can clearly be seen in the cockpit of the 1/144 Zvezda Mi24 in the picture below. So I did some measurements and compared them to the Hasegawa 1/48 Navy pilots and found out the body is closer to 1/125 but the helmets are almost 1/100. I have a Trumpeter 1/144 F117 that has a pilot included and altough it's way less detailed than the Heroesmodels pilots, the body is closer to 1/144 but still the head is to big.  The helmet should be about 1.8mm wide, the Trumpeter is 2.2mm and Heroesmodel is 2.5mm. That doesn't look like much, but when building 1/144 models, 0.7mm is a lot.

So what do 1/144 builders use for pilots that aren't big headed? I know about the OZmods and some people use Nscale figures, but it would be nice If somebody could measure some heads 😉

y4m0HHMpVWkzpI_dRISLCVWDdTntPGdKyn1GFmjVy4mBp5PiwKZUQPXa3QtdlTbf3V4Ihllw78JequPV

• Like 1

I use buckshot, which comes in various sizes that can approximate both big modern helmet sizes and smaller 'leather' styles. I put them on blobs of plastic and add small lead wires for arms. Also use blobs of glue for oxygen masks, etc. Yeah, kind of tedious, but I haven't found any other options!

• Like 1

Years ago I got a scrap 1/144 jet aircraft. It had a basic figure in a very basic looking ej. seat

I made a heat-proof rubber mould of it.

I can cast him in resin or white-metal

Trimming off the top of the ej seat and painting the head appropriately I can make him into a WW2 type pilot

These are him

Revell%201-144%20Hurricane,%2009s-S.jpg

In a 1/144 JU87

Revell%201-144%20Hurricane,%2010s-S.jpg

and an Me 262

Revell%201-144%20Hurricane,%2011s-S.jpg

and, if you can make him out, in a Hurricane

Revell%201-144%20Hurricane,%2012s-M.jpg

Which reminds me - I must dig all those out and finish them!

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

You can try Heroes Models from Italy. They have a bunch of seated and standing pilots in 1/144 scale

I have those from heroes Models. That is what i used in the Mi-24 and mig21. Those figures are closer to 1/100...

• 1 month later...

I finaly found some good 1/144 scale pilots. They are sold by ozmods-kits.com

In the pictures are the 3 brands I have, on the left the Heroes Models from Italy, in the middle the pilot of the trumpeter F117 and on the right the OZmods pilots. The OZmods pilots have by far the best dimensions. They do have the least amount of detail of the 3 pilots, but with some wires and clever painting you can easily detail them up. In this scale it's more important to have right dimensions than having detailed giants in the cockpit 😉

y4mgGJ51Pw56WIuXElTO8YtBf6pfpNjAQnQFOwAM

y4mNWrh2iB_bGmMMzry6DTeYEZklP5uo6X0vmv9_

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 00:52, charlie_c67 said:

I think there are some available from Shapeways. I managed to get some before their pricings screwed people over....

Yeah I've been looking at them too but I couldn't figure out how big they were excatly. But still, no need for them anymore, the OZmods pilots are all I need.