FROG Swordfish

Now that I'm more or less done with some builds that took far longer than they ever should've, and appear to be on the near edge of done trying to figure out whether or not I owe my school or am owed for a term I'm already 90% of the way through, I broke into the old FROG Swordfish I had thrown in with a Blenheim and Firefly a while back. I've got the new Airfix Floatfish, but I don't dare tear into that just yet before I end up with another 4 month project. @bigbadbadge gets the credit for inspiring the topic.

First, the boxart -

Swordfish Start

It's quite honestly one of my favorite box tops, though I don't think much will ever pass the Matchbox Siskin or Fury. 

So far I've gotten most of the interior together and painted. By that, I mean I added both interior parts -

Swordfish Start

Ok yes, there is still a gun mount and gun to attach, but otherwise it's a fairly plain. I may just have to paint up a few figures for once.

The lower wing has also been assembled, though this was notably difficult as the tabs were somewhat smaller than necessary. With any luck the fuselage will be joined to it tomorrow morning.

More soon,
Tweener

• Like 9

- Something to remind us our young years. In those days, even AIRFIX was pleague with missing parts from time to time. With Marcel, my pal both beginners in modelling, having previously  suffered this horrible and incomprehensible trouble, something coming from England could only be perfect, each time we bought a kit, we turn the first corner of the street, opened the box and made a scrupoulous inventory of the parts, if ever one was missing,  immediatly back to the shop for an exchange of the box, dewly checked this time in front of the poor puzzled "dealer"...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tweener   

Thanks for the mention, great to see you starting this.  I hope you really enjoy this one. Great start, looking forward to watching progress.

Chris

So far it's been a treat bar the wing connection I mentioned, but I figured out why it was made the way it is - the little gap I thought was an issue is actually an attachment point for the struts. Once those are in it should be quite durable.

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Brave man. I remember building this kit as a kid more than once but never managing to finish it.

Something about it seems deceptively easy; I'm waiting for the strut attachment points to be out of alignment or the struts themselves to be the wrong size, but if not I think I'll have it all built by the end of Sunday!

7 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Something to remind us our young years. In those days, even AIRFIX was pleague with missing parts from time to time. With Marcel, my pal both beginners in modelling, having previously  suffered this horrible and incomprehensible trouble, something coming from England could only be perfect, each time we bought a kit, we turn the first corner of the street, opened the box and made a scrupoulous inventory of the parts, if ever one was missing,  immediatly back to the shop for an exchange of the box, dewly checked this time in front of the poor puzzled "dealer"...

Funny you should mention it - the only times I've had issues with missing parts was an old Rareplanes Vac I never built anyways, and the new Airfix Gladiator. I'm still trying to get a canopy for that one...

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chair pulled up to watch this.

I've got a couple of those FROG Swordfish in the stash.

Chris

If not for the surprisingly large size, I'd probably pick up a few more. Of course, I also have the Airfix kit, and still need space for a Shark, Roc, Skua, Fulmar, and Sea Hurricane... Perhaps I'm best to hold off!

Progress, as promised. Next will be the struts under the tail, the arrestor hook plate, and painting the engine. For it's time, it isn't so bad. Pic from the top of my bed as the dark plastic and my desk blend together rather well on camera.

Swordfish

With any luck, more after work and paint by Monday.

Best,

Tweener

• Like 8

Crikey this is going together very quickly now,

I see the gaps you mentioned for the struts on the wing join.  Frog kits mainly go together well in my experience and detail wise are of their time.   They build up very nice and with some extra work can turn into fantastic models.

Great work so far.

Chris

• Like 1

If one remembers correctly,the Frog Stringbag was generally regarded to be pretty accurate all round,only improved upon

by swapping the wings for the set in the Matchbox kit released in the mid 1970's,not because they were more accurate,

merely a little less "ribby".

As I expected, construction was finished late Saturday night. 

Swordfish

I can't figure out why the photo looks so horribly rough on a computer screen when it looks fine on my phone and tablet, but here we are...

Now I just need to decide a scheme - pre war and silver, without having to buy decals. Given I've never really approached an FAA topic before, that could be difficult. I'll just begin painting and hope I find something along the way, I think.

Edited by Tweener
Fingers dont work
  • Like 5