Revell 1/72 Sopwith Camel

I’m in for another!   While waiting for bits to dry on my HH-3F Pelican, I found the 2009 boxing of the old 1963 release of the Camel.  Kit is classic “old Revell” —  I built a lot of these 1/72 WW1 kits as a boy in the early ‘70s.

I had started this kit around 2011 or so - a little parts cleanup, (brush) painting a few bits.  Then I noticed I had lost the rudder, so I put it away - thinking sooner or later I’d find another kit cheap at a show.   I never found another kit, but several months ago I found the rudder in the bottom of a storage bin!   (It had only been adrift for about 10 years - I blame those end-opening boxes!)

I have read about  several builds of this old kit - and the lengths people went through to fix all the kit’s shortcomings.  That won’t be me, not here!   I’ll do this more or less OOB, with maybe a few minor fixes.  The real reason I’m going to build this now is because the decals are for a Canadian pilot, and our club’s theme build this year is “Oh, Canada”.   

I know this would also qualify for the Canadian group build that is underway here on BM, but I’m going to post it here for two key reasons:

1. If the decals turn out to be rubbish, and I need to use (non-Canadian) markings from the stash, the kit will still qualify for this GB.

2. This GB ends 3 weeks after the end of the Canadian one, so I have a better chance of finishing it in time!

I actually started working on it again the other night, filling some ejector pin holes and  cutting the ailerons free.   Then I remembered tonight I needed a “before” picture, so here is one that’s only a little tardy….

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 13

It may not be totally accurate I suppose, but I have always thought it looks better than the earlier Airfix one which was for some reason a 2F1 "Ship's Camel". I still have my original 1960's build though it needs a little TLC by now

Pete

I think the reason that Airfix did the 2F1 is that Culley's real Ship's Camel was in the Imperial War Museum, and Lambeth wasn't that far to go from Wandsworth to do the research. The Bristol Fighter and R.E.8 were in the IWM as well in the 1950s, I believe (I didn't visit it back then as it was before I was born 😀).

18 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I think the reason that Airfix did the 2F1 is that Culley's real Ship's Camel was in the Imperial War Museum, and Lambeth wasn't that far to go from Wandsworth to do the research. The Bristol Fighter and R.E.8 were in the IWM as well in the 1950s, I believe (I didn't visit it back then as it was before I was born 😀).

Makes sense Richard. Don't remember the Camel and RE but the Brisfit was still there in the late 1960's.

IWM Bristol Fighter

Pete