Source needed for custom decals

billn53

[Moderator - If this is in the wrong forum, please move]

Can anyone point me to a source (individual, or company) for custom decals.  I would like to finish up this project:

and had a supplier lined up to do the decals, but that fell through.

I can probably do the artwork, and I’ve printed custom decals before, but these would need to be printed in white (which my printer can’t do).

Thanks, 

Bill

I can suggest Drawdecal, he's in Florida and V1decals, in Alberta but he can't print white. Also vintage flyer decals. I don't know who you had problems with. Also real close to me is Precision Design https://www.pdc.ca/rr/custom_decals/

• Thanks 1

I would second Arctic Decals. Don't expect an overnight service, but he will get them right.

Greg at Drawdecals is also good, but it won't be cheap. At least being in CONUS the postage may be better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would second Arctic Decals. Don't expect an overnight service, but he will get them right.

Greg at Drawdecals is also good, but it won't be cheap. At least being in CONUS the postage may be better.

I’ll check with Drawdecals… I used their decals on my Wisconsin ANG F-102 and they worked great. 

1 hour ago, Des said:

Just bought some decals done here in the UK by Mark Medler at MAM Modelling printed on white and clear backgrounds respectively and his instructions mention doing bespoke orders , contact is [email protected]

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll email Mark & find out what he might be able to do. 

25 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

There’s a couple of projects I will need custom decals for. The one thing I have no idea about is costs. If it’s not considered rude to ask, I’d appreciate some hints as to what to expect.

I did not mention it in my first post in this thread, but I do custom decal artwork design from time to time. Recently I made a webpage explaining the process, with five examples that include hour estimates:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/customdecals.htm

To predict the cost without knowing the scope is impossible (of course). To take Bill's Cessna Bobcat as an example, with two cheat lines with text, wing and tail registrations, and possibly cowling stripes (or masks ?), I'm guessing 3 hours of work. Include the decal printing and you'll be spending ~100 euros. Yes, that is expensive! But that's the reality of custom decals. I often make the comparison that if you would have a resin parts manufacturer making and casting a custom part for you, do not expect to pay 15 euros like a regular series-production resin part.

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob de Bie said:

I did not mention it in my first post in this thread, but I do custom decal artwork design from time to time. Recently I made a webpage explaining the process, with five examples that include hour estimates:

To predict the cost without knowing the scope is impossible (of course). To take Bill's Cessna Bobcat as an example, with two cheat lines with text, wing and tail registrations, and possibly cowling stripes (or masks ?), I'm guessing 3 hours of work. Include the decal printing and you'll be spending ~100 euros. Yes, that is expensive! But that's the reality of custom decals. I often make the comparison that if you would have a resin parts manufacturer making and casting a custom part for you, do not expect to pay 15 euros like a regular series-production resin part.

Rob

I learned to draw them up myself on coreldraw, had to, couldn't wait for the decal printer to do it. I'm no expert and just make them for myself. It does take a few hours and not always fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Rob

Thanks Rob. I appreciate your candour. In my case, the projects in question are the registration letters for a Tiger Moth (G-EMSY) in 1/32 and 1/72 and involves white, Service Brown and pale blue. The other project is for the "bort" numbers as used by the 527th AS and will need yellow, red, black and pale blue grey. The artwork would be done by Mrs Lasermonkey using Adobe Illustrator, so it's just the printing I need.

10 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Thanks Rob. I appreciate your candour. In my case, the projects in question are the registration letters for a Tiger Moth (G-EMSY) in 1/32 and 1/72 and involves white, Service Brown and pale blue. The other project is for the "bort" numbers as used by the 527th AS and will need yellow, red, black and pale blue grey. The artwork would be done by Mrs Lasermonkey using Adobe Illustrator, so it's just the printing I need.

In that case another recommendation: SpotModel in Spain. You download the template, copy your artwork using the instructions, upload the file, and voila, a couple of weeks later you have your decals. 20 euros for an ~A5. Separate decal films over each decal. No hassle, no negotiations, simple.

Rob

• Thanks 2