The dirtiest Russian Juggernaut. KV2

26 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Looking very good now... Very nice old school traditional tatts. there too ! 👍

I'm a oldschool addict 😉💪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work on the paint. Very much like the look.

As for the welds, don't get overly critical of yourself, especially on matters of Russian tanks, their welds can be very nasty and rough. Possibly the worst I've seen are those on an ISU 152 where the engine deck welds to the crew compartment. I think they got a half blind, demented gibbon, passed it the arc welder and said go for it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crayons said:

Nice work on the paint. Very much like the look.

As for the welds, don't get overly critical of yourself, especially on matters of Russian tanks, their welds can be very nasty and rough. Possibly the worst I've seen are those on an ISU 152 where the engine deck welds to the crew compartment. I think they got a half blind, demented gibbon, passed it the arc welder and said go for it.

Tnx for the comment. I know the welds on Russian tanks were very crude. It was all about function and not asteatics. 

That beeing said, i still have to learn to work with this technique because i want to apply ot in my next project, a Tiger 1. 

2 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That beeing said, i still have to learn to work with this technique because i want to apply ot in my next project, a Tiger 1. 

Totally understand.

A word of advice if you are going to use Tamiya quick type epoxy as per Uncle Nightshift, let it half cure before starting to form the welds, it wont smoosh (yes, it's a word auto correct) around or deform as much.

1 hour ago, Crayons said:

Totally understand.

A word of advice if you are going to use Tamiya quick type epoxy as per Uncle Nightshift, let it half cure before starting to form the welds, it wont smoosh (yes, it's a word auto correct) around or deform as much.

Tnx that's very helpfull

So, today i went to chipping town on the turret. It took me about two hours of sponge and detail chipping. 

This tank will become a chip and rust bucket.

I still have to do the steel chips and the rust tones. This will be my roadmap for the rest of the tank. 

I know it's heavy right now but it will be toned down with oils.

20220811-163107.jpg

20220811-163115.jpg

20220811-163124.jpg

20220811-163228.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've been rather quiet the last weeks. I've been on holiday to Luxemburg and now that i'm back it's a bit to hot to sit at the workbench. 

In the comming days i'll continue with the KV2 so updates coming soon......

• Like 1

Time for a lengthy update. Did a lot today since the temperatures finally dropped below 30C° 

First i finished the chipping of the turret and the hull. Did most of it with a 000 brush. 

20220826_201111.jpg

20220826_201143.jpg

the centre of the chips was done with a panzer grey to add depth. 

i gave it a coat of semi gloss. And while that was set aside to dry i started with the tracks. I rusted them up and asembled everything.

20220826_201204.jpg

They will get more treatment like dust and bare steel.

The top half of the model was dry so i glued everything together. Finally, it's a tank!

20220826_215047.jpg

20220826_205632.jpg

I painted the inside of the headlight with natural steel and then i busted up the glass and placed the parts in the casing.

After that i took a break. 

Tonight i continued with rusting up the kit. It turned out as a real rustbucket. 

20220826_215052.jpg

20220826_215115.jpg

20220826_215146.jpg

i did all the panellines with AK dark brown panelliner for green vehicles. And after that was done, i put together 2 figures to add scale to this juggernaut. 

20220826_225419.jpg

20220826_225426.jpg

20220826_225437.jpg

so, for today i'm done. But i'm far from finished!. Tomorow i'll work on the details, clean up some mistakes, work on the tracks a bit more, make some tarp, work on the exhausts, solve the towingcable problem ( too long ) etc. 

So far i'm a happy modeler. The time away from the workbench was really good for me to regain some mojo. 

Now i'm eager to try new things and techniques. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 7

On 24/08/2022 at 20:41, Maddoxx77 said:

I've been rather quiet the last weeks. I've been on holiday

Yes, me too. So now I'm catching up with some of the builds. I really like what you've done with this one Maddoxx. I know that there are lots of debates about whether it should be chipped and scratched, but with a lot of Soviet equipment, they served for a long time without much maintenance, and would likely end up looking as you have depicted it. I also like the way that you've done the tracks.

Great work.

John.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, me too. So now I'm catching up with some of the builds. I really like what you've done with this one Maddoxx. I know that there are lots of debates about whether it should be chipped and scratched, but with a lot of Soviet equipment, they served for a long time without much maintenance, and would likely end up looking as you have depicted it. I also like the way that you've done the tracks.

Great work.

John.

Muchos gracias!!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Time for a small update. I fixed the towcable issue. I cut the cables and attached the loose ends on the tighteners in the side. Then i made a tarp of tamiya epoxy putty to cover up the cable. On the other side the cable is covered with spare tracks. 

20220828-202904.jpg

20220828-200440.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how the tarp turned out.

Then i assembled some more figures ( and also made the mistake of glueing the heads before painting 😝😝😝😝 luckily i also have two figures were i used my head and left them off 😁 ) i gave them a coat of black primer and tomorow i'll spray them with wite for some natural shading. 

20220828-210202.jpg

20220828-210217.jpg

Lot's to do before this one is finished so we'll crack on tomorow. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 4

Good morning. 

I continued working on the details. Since it requires a lot of detail painting i work in short stints so i can keep my focus and not overdo things. 

First i gave the figures some highlights with a coat of creme white.

20220829-110250.jpg

the details on the figures really pop and i can't wait to start painting them with the glaze method. 

20220829-110304.jpg

After that i worked on the details on the upper hull. Highlighting rivets and straps. Correcting some little mistakes and work on some chips that needed attention. As said, i work in small stints doing 1 or 2 sections at a time.

20220829-114936.jpg

20220829-114939.jpg

I gave the tarp a basecoat of german grey and some highlights with white. Then a thin brown glaze. Still need some work though. 

20220829-110212.jpg

for now, i'll leave the model be. Maybe this afternoon i'll start working on the tracks, doing the detail painting of the return rollers and work on chipping the roadweels and drive sprockets. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 7

Working on the lower hull 

20220829_193935.jpg

Altough most will be covered with dirt i wanted the chipping and rust match the rest of the tank. Still a lot to learn when it comes to chipping with a tiny paintbrush so this is ideal for me. 

I also did the front armour plate. Still need to do the lower front and the back.

20220829_201517.jpg

slowly but shurely i'm getting there.

20220829_211529.jpg

still not happy with the look of the spare tracks so they will get some more attention tomorow. 

i'll keep you guys posted.

cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I like that chipping style. It's subtle and understated but also heavy where it needs to be. Another thing I need to learn. A lot of patience needed by the looks of it.👍

Of and on ( working in segments ) it took me a couple of hours. 

• Like 1

So workbench update. I started with the tracks and lower hull.

20220830_134717.jpg

I'm using various enamels and pigments from AK. First i gave the model a dust coat with Kursk summer earth. 

Really happy with the sand on the tracks.

20220830_141000.jpg

it tones down the heavy rust effect and gives a realistic worn look. Also the sand gattered in all the nooks and cranies was a small personal victory for me since i always seem to struggle with applying dust and mud in a realistic manner.

20220830_141008.jpg

20220830_153742.jpg

i was so happy with what i did. I just needed to adress some minor spots. And then i could just use the specling method to add some sand and mud staines.....

However....... i decided to destroy hours of tedious work with chips and rust and dust..... 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I thought it was a good idea to try and give the tank a wet muddy look. Oh was i wrong!!

I applied a coat of kurk damp earth thickened with some pigment and some thickening powder.... i added some small dry gras, twigs etc. And then i left it to dry.....

This is what i found:

20220830_200223.jpg

20220830_200303.jpg

it's a thick, ugly, plastered on blob of brown..... all the previous work went out the window within a split second of me making a stupid descission..... 

I'm done for today. Tomorow i will come up with a way to try and fix this mess. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

A light spray over with one of your thinned down enamel colours, one of the lighter matt ones, make the area uniform while keeping some of the texture and then try again.

I hada good night sleep over it and i think i will try and add more texture to the mud with some sand from my backyard. And then work it over with some diluted washes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stef N. said:

Nice one. It's a pain in the backside but definitely fixable. All the best.👍

Absolutly. It's just that i was so gutted when i saw all my previous work got destroyed. It is definetly fixable and i will get it right. It's a good lesson for the next build. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, everything looks not bad.

You can try to re-do a light wash to make dirty details more relieved and noticeable, and add more shades of heavily diluted paint in a small spot manner to become an optical bigger relief and richest color. 

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

In my opinion, everything looks not bad.

You can try to re-do a light wash to make dirty details more relieved and noticeable, and add more shades of heavily diluted paint in a small spot manner to become an optical bigger relief and richest color. 

Vytautas

Tnx for the advice!