The dirtiest Russian Juggernaut. KV2

So, after a day of reflection on my muddy mistake, i took my mistake and decided to push it to the extreme. I wanted mud? I'll make mud!

I took sand and dirt from my garden and let it dry for a day. 

And then i went to work with some enamel thinners and various washes.

20220901-200401.jpg

i build up the dirt behind the roadweels and returnrollers as i remembered from my days as a tank gunner in muddy terrain.

I also made shure the the back and front lower hull got big deposits of mud since that's, in my expirience, the location where large clumps of dirt and mud stick.

The initial result is like i imagined. 

20220901-202559.jpg

20220901-202607.jpg

20220901-202638.jpg

20220901-202656.jpg

Now i'm going to let it dry and then i'll ( carfully ) work with some dark panelliner to add a bit more contrast. Then some specling in various earth tones and it's done! 

I'm still disappointed with my descision to go this route because alot of the details are lost. So i have to approach all the detail work as a good excercise for future projects ( Tiger 1 anyone???? ) At the same time, this is also a part of the hobby we all love so much. Making mistakes and fix them as best we can. 

Spending time on this forum with you guys is a great help. All the kind words and feedback, the tips and tricks. It all makes me want to build more while feeling confident that i don't have to be affraid to show my mistakes. Because i know i'm talking with fellow modelbuilders who've been were i'm at, learning, trying to get better with each model i build. 

So a big thank you to all of you!!!! 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

i don't have to be affraid to show my mistakes

Mistakes are my trade-mark - but they generate lots of helpful tips ready for the next one....................

Great build btw. Final result looks just as a heavily used and abused KV2 might be expected to look.

Can't see any mistakes here.

Edited by echen
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, echen said:

Mistakes are my trade-mark - but they generate lots of helpful tips ready for the next one....................

Great build btw. Final result looks just as a heavily used and abused KV2 might be expected to look.

Can't see any mistakes here.

🙏🙏🙏 we are all our own biggest critics.

• Maddoxx77 changed the title to The dirtiest Russian Juggernaut. KV2

For a used muddy tank it looks right, no idea what colour the mud would have been in the area of operation but as far as the clumps and consistency go looks good to me.

I like the chips and scrapes on the turret too, looks really good.

I think that's one of the reasons I avoid heavy mud deposits,  tends to take away from the detail and work already done.

Great work :like:

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

A bit of a workbench update. I was a bit sick the last couple of days so i got very little done. Today i was feeling a bit better so i did the last detail painting on the model and i gave it a coat of flat varnish.

20220907-112610.jpg

I'll park it there for now so i can start working on the figures. 

I gave them a first glaze coat of russian pale green. I'll try to build up the layers slowly so the pre-shading will do it's work. It's a whole different ballgame i can tell you that.

But so far i'm happy.

20220907-112601.jpg

20220907-112546.jpg

cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 5

Last update for today. 

I made progress on the figure front. I'm really proud so far, this beeing my first serious attempt at figure painting. ( tnx uncle nightshift 😁 )

20220907-220419.jpg

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 3

I hope you guys don't mind me spamming pics of figure painting in this topic. I know it's not armour but in the end these figures go with the tank so i hope you will forgive me.

I'm sooo happy of what i achieved tonight with one of the figures. It took about 3 hours and it's not done but i managed to pull of some fine detail painting witch i never tought i could.... 

It went from this:

20220907-112546.jpg

To this:

20220908-222655.jpg

20220908-222705.jpg

20220908-222711.jpg

20220908-222734.jpg

i know it's not the best work ( compared to some of the guys/girls here ) but for me it's by far some of the best detail painting i have ever done! 

Cheers! 👍👍👍 ( this time i'm pouring myself a little celebration Dram 😋😋😋 )

• Like 7

Like you, I thought that you'd made a big mistake when you slopped a load of mud on it, especially as you covered up some excellent work. But your perseverance has paid off, and the KV-2 looks great now (my favourite piece is still that tarp). But the piece de resistance is that figure. Even in it's headless state, it is brilliant. Keep up the good work.

John.

• Thanks 1

No harm in posting figures here as far as I'm concerned - a lot of us wouldn't see them if they were elsewhere, and we all (well, most) are at least interested in doing figures to sit (or stand) with our metal monsters.

I'm really keen to give this preshade/glaze technique another go. I tried it previously, but found that brush painting on top of the shading pretty much obliterated it. I really need to master the thinned paint/multiple coats method.

I've also now got some retarder to go with my vallejo collection, so I'm hoping that will help with secondary highlight blending.

You've achieved a fantastic result - I'd be delighted if I could get close to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To echo what's been said, absolutely no problem with figures featuring here, it's part of the project. 

Your figure is looking brilliant,  the finish on the coat and gloves is tremendous, super envious!

As has been said,  really should try this brush painting approach to figures myself. 

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I'm really keen to give this preshade/glaze technique another go. I tried it previously, but found that brush painting on top of the shading pretty much obliterated it. I really need to master the thinned paint/multiple coats method.

I've also now got some retarder to go with my vallejo collection, so I'm hoping that will help with secondary highlight blending.

At first i was struggeling with the thinning of the paint. I use a wet pallet and i replaced the paper that came with it for baking paper. I found that it works much nicer when blending and thinning the paint. Also the use of water to thin down paint is a bit tricky because of the surface tension of water. A tiny drop of retarder helps soo much! Also i try to use a somewhat bigger brush and use little paint. When you stroke the brush on white paper the colour should be transparant. 

Here's the link of the video i used:

Of course it's from nightshift. His showing of the techniques and his explaination is just the best i could find.

• Like 4

And here is the first finished figure. So proud! 

20220909-225200.jpg

20220909-225115.jpg

i redid the face about 6 times 🤣🤣🤣

tomorow i'll do some minor touchups but overall i'm so happy with this result. 

on to the next one 😁👍

20220909-225545.jpg

Cheers!!! 👍👍👍

Btw, i want to say thank you so much for all your kind words! They really mean alot! 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

So long as you don't now decide to cover it all in mud.:giggle:. Yes, you should be very proud of the finish. It's first class.

John.

Well... i need to "mud" him up a bit. Otherwise he would look odd on the tank but i promise i'll be very carefull 😁

• Haha 1

Today i finished the KV2 project. I'll start a topic in the RFI topic. 

I want to thank each and every one of you guys who tagged along, gave tips, words of wisdom and encouragement. It is all much appriciated!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Here is a little sneak preview....

20220910-221237.jpg

• Like 6