Canadair Sabre F.4 - F-86E(M) times 2

Courageous

A little late to the party, so here goes.

I have a haul of Sabre kits, so this GB gives me the opportunity to reduce the stash a little, starting with an OOB build of an F.4 of the Yugoslav Air Force. Initially, Canadair supplied the RAF with the F.4 but it was soon replaced by the Hunter. Before passing on the ex-RAF Sabres to others, the Sabres were modified with the 6-3 wing to become F-86E(M) Sabres.

20220727-192137.jpg

The kit I'll be using.

20220727-192322.jpg

Sprues.

I have never built an Airfix Sabre, so this'll be new to me. I do like to display my Sabres with open cockpits and that is the plan here, depending what the ejection seat is like, I may use the Pavla resin seat instead. This was a second hand kit and somebody has had the RAF roundels away, so this will become a Yugoslav Sabre.

Stuart

• Like 9

Anyways, the ejection seat...

20220727-204616.jpg Absolute pants :thumbsdown:!

20220727-204714.jpg  Beautiful :wub: but it's slightly to big for Airfix's tub, so...

20220728-104410.jpg  Using the resin seat as a reference, I detailed the kit seat to produce this :yes:.

Stuart

• Like 5

• Courageous changed the title to Canadair Sabre F.4 - F-86E(M) times 2

My second F.4 Sabre also now starts.

20220728-145324.jpg

Another pre-owned kit with the RAF roundels missing but this time I will do an RAF scheme that will require no mods to the kit as the RAF were initially supplied without the 6-3 wing conversion.

20220728-145535.jpg

One seat all painted, the second is nearly built, it just needs some arm rests.

Stuart

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, zebra said:

Lovely work on those seats!

Cheers Zeb, they were quite fun.

While I wait for things to dry before closing the sides, I turned my attention to other parts...

20220729-105458.jpg

The wings. As we all know, there are always questions about Sabre wings like fence location, drop tank location, etc and it's no different here. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't built an Airfix Sabre, so it was back to the reference and out with the caliper's. Indeed, as predicted, the locations were both out, both the fence and drop tank locations should be 5mm further inboard. Fence location should be 51mm from CLG and the tank pylon should be 37mm from CLG (1/72). 

Stuart

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, Courageous said:

I have a haul of Sabre kits

That has to be the BM understatement of the year!

At last I've found the setting which alerts me to new work started by people I follow, so now I'm here!

Great start Stuart on two interesting subjects.

Terry

• Haha 1

Out and about over the weekend, so not much done.

20220731-111347.jpg

Tubs built up. Decals for front and side consoles were subdued with a layer of Citadel Nuln Oil. Now I've to find my lead for nose weight.

20220731-111751.jpg

Wing fences removed and slots cut into the upper wing at correct position. New holes drilled at correct locations and old holes filled with plastic rod. You may have noticed a little damage to the left flap (right in pic), it came out of the box like that, so a little remedial work will be needed there together with wing cleaning when the wings are joined. Fences will be added later as they'll be thin plasticard and will be easily damaged.

Stuart

• Like 5

Chip, chip, chipping...

20220804-151601.jpg

Tubs fitted into fuselage, weight added...don't want tail-sitters. Halves joined, nose fitted and wings added. When everything has set, I'll sort out the joins. Since the pic was taken, I have also fitted the wing fences. Have also readied the sticky-outie bits like doors, legs, wheels, etc to get primed.

Stuart 

• Like 5

Have been busy with other things, including a nice break away.

20220823-154850.jpg

Tamiya black applied at the sharp end and canopy, and grey added to the tail top.

20220823-154910.jpg

Wheel wells painted interior green with a wash applied when dried.

Time for a gloss coat and decals.

Stuart

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, Courageous said:

Calling the Yugoslav Sabre done.

Very smart indeed, and the second Sabre seems to have taken well to the paint. I would imagine your built Sabre collection is becoming quite numerous these days ....... 🤔 .......... bet your not half way through the stash yet though?

Terry

• Like 1