F-15 Lakenheath Hasegawa 1/48

Hi All,

After 50 years of modelling I have to confess to having never built an F-15. How can I sleep at night?

Well I mainly build British stuff so obviously the F-15 was not British nor did they use it but I am a fan as you can see on my car. The plate was an Xmas present from my wife back in 2009. A combination of my interests....... Here she is at Brooklands in April 2022 at the 100th Anniversary of Jaguar.

IMG_9407

So here is my first F-15 kit. I'll do a Lakenheath bird as it is more British and in deference to all the great airshows over the years.

IMG_20220722_212304160

A few goodies to help the progress.

IMG_20220722_212405442

The Aries burner cans are superb so I'm looking forward to using them.

Progress might be slow to start as Im making the most of the dry weather for my other hobbies but I'm sure I'll hit the deadline.

Colin

• Like 7

For those who have never seen a decent display, this is the F-15 at the Avalon Airshow in Australia in 2003. After waiting all day while the lesser aircraft taxied to the down wind end of the runway for their takeoffs, this F-15 just headed to the nearest end and took off down wind with a vertical climb out. Even I was taken aback so no pics or video as I was so suprised. Stunning stuff.

F1000035

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been almost a month since my last post so as the heat wave and drought in the UK start to fade its time to get back to some modelling.

I have assembed the cockpit and painted the first batch of sub assembies so I should see some quick progress now.

IMG_20220824_171541699

• Like 2

Well its been almost a month since my last post so as the heat wave and drought in the UK start to fade its time to get back to some modelling.

I have assembed the cockpit and painted the first batch of sub assembies so I should see some quick progress now.

IMG_20220824_171541699

• Like 1

Now this is what I call small PE. Even if I could cut parts 2, 3 and 4 off without loosing them and thread them onto parts 1, then I woud be working as a brain surgeon not building model aeroplanes!

IMG_20220825_173555475

Of course none will be visible on the finished model anyway!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The nose went together well. Top and bottom of the main fuselage was a bit tricky at the front by the intakes.

I think the real issue is the joint between the 2 parts. They don't align particularly well and with just a butt join getting a strong accurate join will be a challenge. Reading the forum it seems to be the same issue as the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.

Oh we have been spoilt by Tamiya with their Tomcat nose clicking into place.....

IMG_20220903_161936415

• Like 5

On 9/4/2022 at 7:53 AM, Colin W said:

The real issue is the joint between the 2 parts. They don't align particularly well and with just a butt join getting a strong accurate join will be a challenge. 

The Academy kit has exactly the same issue.  Some scrap plasticard tabs inside the rear section help to locate the cockpit section and give something to glue against but the cross sections don't align perfectly.

Mike

• Like 1

Had a weeks Holiday and now back to the action.

Nose on and now in the jig for the wings to dry.

IMG_20220912_065111897_HDR

This kit is definately an F-15A with extra parts for the E. The FAST packs really 'fit where they touch' so very poor for a Hasegawa it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wings now on and dried.

IMG_20220912_151755695_HDR

Not quite seamless. There is quite a bit of fettling and some filling required. Fortunaty appart from the upper wing roots it is all well hidden with panel lines.

Back in the jig to fix the tail fins. I have closed the airbrake as it needs a lot more detail and like the main gear doors, they are not normally open anyway.

IMG_20220919_210251325

Starting to look the part now.

My next project starting to appear in the pictures. A fighter prototype from an earlier era.

• Like 5

I just realised that the bomb carriers on the conformal tanks are completely wrong. Pictures in the walk round section show single pylons along the length but the kit just has a multi ejection rack fitted to a single point. Some scratch building may be required.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

I just realised that the bomb carriers on the conformal tanks are completely wrong. Pictures in the walk round section show single pylons along the length but the kit just has a multi ejection rack fitted to a single point. Some scratch building may be required.

I wonder if thats how the Prototype was built, then it was changed for production models ? 

Edit: looks like Im right ? 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:McDonnell_Douglas_F-15E_Prototype_060905-F-1234S-025.jpg

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

34 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I wonder if thats how the Prototype was built, then it was changed for production models

It seems that you are indeed correct. The picture shows the same load out as the kit. 

Thanks 👍

6 hours ago, Boman said:

The pylon on the prototype seems to be a hybrid between the kit short pylon and the production version?

I agree Bowman but I am not building the prototype.

Here is my build of the production pylons.

The scoops on the sides were resin ones in my spares box. I have no idea what they were meant for but are perfect for this.

IMG_20220929_131703413

A quick coat of Halfords grey primer and we're back on track. I will add some bomb shackles once the under carriage is on

IMG_20220929_133639102

I've also done the burner cans in the background.

• Like 3

I have put quite a bit if time into the resin exhausts. The detail inside and outside is amazing but most wont be seen when assembed so here is a picture before the fans are stuck on. I opted to leave the burner rings in brass to make them a bit visible!

IMG_20221001_100540281

• Like 1