STRV-103C, 1/25 scale, scratchbuild

Kalor

Hi,

This is one hell of a project, vehicle is far more complicated than I estimated, I aimed to make crew compartment, working suspension and as many moving parts as possible but I wasn't prepared how complicated this was.

Materials I'm using are HIPS and prespan parer(brown color), tracks and jerrycans are casted from resin.

All photos are in this gallery: https://imgur.com/a/Ab9TBZc Enjoy!

It started in 2018 with collecting data and preparations, 8 months of procrastination later first hull was completed. More than year later, in September 2020 I realized that all available plans and trumpeter model that I had for reference are incorrect.

There are two issues: one present upper frontal plate as flat, where in reality front of it is on the same level as engine doors.

fL68nUx.jpgoURrRMh.jpg

Second issue is with overall hull proportions, what is funny only War Thunder's model is correct. I decided to make it again, cheap price for

Second hull was made and crew compartment fit correctly.

X6EvPqv.jpg

pJCATgb.jpg

Most significant photos from the journey:

Working suspension, first and last arms are connected by rod inside of hull, middle ones are moving freely, it is important feature of strv

p1nahfy.jpg

eRq0069.jpg

rvjMn0I.jpg

ZRj3ZB5.jpg

husqoUc.jpg

DPualJ5.jpg

SB8vdwv.jpg

rhSSVZy.jpg

w36MoWu.jpg

weLmvNs.jpg

7Kz0n43.jpg

Two years later and I'm still not ready for paint, there is a lot of important details that has to be attached, casted tracks need to be cleaned, a lot of screws is missing.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Are the seats for the commander and radio operator correct?

I though the commander's cupola had 360 degree traverse so the seat would have to be hung from it and not floor mounted. In addition the radio operator could drive the tank backwards at full speed, so would need to face aft.

Mate!

That is one seriously impressive bit of model-building, and a favourite subject of mine too.

Congratulations on this excellent work and thanks for sharing it here. 👍👍👍

1 hour ago, Niall said:

Are the seats for the commander and radio operator correct?

I though the commander's cupola had 360 degree traverse so the seat would have to be hung from it and not floor mounted. In addition the radio operator could drive the tank backwards at full speed, so would need to face aft.

Radio operator has plenty of space, look at Chieftain: https://youtu.be/qvI6tqj6obA?t=415 how happy he is : )

He has this small steering quarter-wheel and periscope; throttle control are two levers behind silver electric pot, I omitted them in the model otherwise I would never finish it.

Interior in these photos is a little bit different than that I used as references, but layout is the same:

strv103RSRFLuk.jpg 

H6PaL3U.jpg

As for commander, his seat is mounted on the floor:

strv103RFaufKom.JPG

Credits to http://www.rommelkiste.de/Fahrzeuge/strv103/strv103.html

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I starting to paint, lower part and wheels for now as they are already finished. First is base for chipping, it a minium, I think. Contrary to the rest of vehicle where minuim was overcoated with a layer of gray primer, lower part was painted directly with green.

As a reference I will be using photos from Axvall museum.

LYkvhBG.jpg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Zgubiony Turysta said:

Scratchbuilders, no matter what material they use or topic they build, invoke my utmost respect. Chapeau bas!

I'll second that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally manged to put some paint, it was honestly tiring as model is too big for my hands and maneuvering was hard. Also I couldn't get dark green hue right, well as long as it's darker than light green I'm happy, it will be covered by dust anyway.

Chips and scratches in progress, some of them will be covered as I don't want to overdo them.

qqqlMGB.jpg

sN9VBzN.jpg

0ja9U9J.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Something nice for beginning, I made Karl Gustaf, whole 4cm of fun.

80iHgnk.jpg

And less funny thing, I started painting Swedish splinter camo, moment I dreaded for long time. First I started with black and with scheme from Trumpeter but Trumpeter's scheme isn't fully correct, it seems they merged some patches for simplicity. So I'm doing my own, masking will be equally hard, for references I'm using mostly vehicle 202273.

It looks like that:

K5xVKph.jpg

And first layer of black, still with what trumpeter proposes, 4k resolution:

jMtS9HB.jpg

Bottom, I think it's enough of scratches.

mz0DSbl.jpg

It's tiring, each time I look at some picture I'm finding new thing that is missing, finally I decided to paint it and whatever left will be added later, dust and weathering will mask color differences.

I plan to lay colors more or less flat without excess modulation, that if needed will be done in postprocessing phase, considering how colorful scheme is I don't wanna risk failure, simple marbling with distressing should be enough. This vehicle attracts so much dirt anyway that I could avoid painting camo and go straight for dirtying phase.

Next few days will be hell.

Edited by Kalor
  • Like 9

Yup, it was painful.

One mistake I think, was staring from black, brown an then greens, I think starting with greens would be easier as patches of black and brown are smaller so working with tape would be easier. Lesson learnt, it was my first time painting with masks.

Second one was using yellow tape, yellow color severely changed perception of colors, and wasn't holding well especially to itself.

Third one was even thinking about this model, i 1/25 is as big as A4 sheet, that's a lot of surface to paint with 0.2mm nozzle.

Airbrushing part for hull is done, in future there will be also side skirts from jerrycans, but now it's time to finish little details, fix mistakes and work this paint a bit.

All photos here, I don't want to spam too much: https://imgur.com/a/i695MWN

Masking was crazy, there probably is better method:

bktvb4Z.jpg

Finished paintjob, no matter what I tried I couldn't get right shade of green, so I mixed my own.

QHXKPQM.jpg

z2zvbZy.jpg

G0MchnI.jpg

• Like 18

Saw this earlier today, but didn’t have time to comment. Now I’m sat in the hozzy waiting room, I’ve got time to say “that’s incredibly impressive. Keep up the good work :yes:”.

10 hours ago, Model Mate said:

I can't think of an easy way to paint that scheme, and your final results are excellent, so well done! Great model-making all round

Agreed. I don’t think there are any shortcuts with that scheme.

• 6 months later...