Not been feeling great over the past couple of days,:ill: If I'm not well I just rest up, I tend not to have much get up and go when I feel like that, (felt more like it got up and went!😂) but I have made a start on painting.

Its all primed and rubbed down, and it got its first coat of Colourcoats Insignia White this evening; doesn't look too pretty but its a start! I normally do the undersides first, I then mask for the upper sides and start painting. This will be the first time I've painted white with thinning! Gonna try something new on this one! All will be revealed if it works out!:o

IMG-1025.jpg Like i said; its doesn't look too pretty just now but give it time!

I was thinking about white/ intermediate blue and non specular sea blue but its a rather involved scheme for such a small model, so it'll be white undies and blue/grey everywhere else, as on the box.:nod:

• Like 4

I’m painting the model blue/grey so the spinner is now black, it’s been painted and I need to put the yellow tips on. It’s just a patience building exercise while I paint it (especially the white, lol).

I quite like the patience building in thinning the paint and obviously some colours are easier to colour fill than others, but the patience part also helps me in many other areas of my life; I’m a lot calmer than I ever was and this really helps me and the people around me.🙂

Modelling is very beneficial for me.👍

• Like 5

Gave the underside another coat this morning, looking good but needs a rub back here and there before I put anymore paint on it; it does need another coat but I think this time I'll put a little more paint than thinners, its a good paint, plenty smooth and easy to paint on but I think it needs a tad less thinning.

IMG-1030.jpg

• Like 4

Here we are with another coat on! (warm in here innit?)😂

IMG-1032.jpg

IMG-1033.jpg

This time I reduced the amount of thinners and allowed the paint to go on a little thicker, better coverage, one more coat like that I think, and when its dry I can start masking for the upper 'arf!:clap:

• Like 3

Decided not to mask it, I have lightly pencilled in the curves and I'll just paint to those, to mask the wing floats would be risky as its just that one leg/spar holding it on, dont want to risk a breakage (the more a thing is handled, the more chance there is of it being damaged). There are really no straight paint lines on this so masking is out. Will be back onto this very soon. There is no hurry really.🙂

• Like 2

Thanks Chris and Ali, (and indeed everyone) it WILL be finished, you can look forward to that. Low levels of concentration mean I cannot do what I would normally have 'just got done', I need to be 'in the groove', I still struggle a bit with tiredness, but enthusiasm is always sure to return and always does. I really enjoy modelling but I also know my limitations, when I can and cannot, and I dont try to force it because I will just make mistakes, and then next time have to spend time undoing them to put it right. I thus do it in stages and when I'm ready, I get back to do more, but it gives me time to think it through rather than just battering on. I know its only plastic but I like my plastic to look as best as I can get it, so its done in stages. Its taken time to learn my limits and work to them but its good that I do, avoids frustration and burn-out; an important lesson for me; just takes a little longer but I learned that there really is no hurry coz its a hobby.:nodding:😀

• Like 3

Looking good! After that many coats of white you are ready for modelling something in trainer yellow…

On the topic of offset fins - it is a common way for an aircraft designer to offset the torque produced by the rotating propeller. The airflow going around the offset fin provides a twisting moment that counteracts the twisting moment produced by the propeller.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! After that many coats of white you are ready for modelling something in trainer yellow…

On the topic of offset fins - it is a common way for an aircraft designer to offset the torque produced by the rotating propeller. The airflow going around the offset fin provides a twisting moment that counteracts the twisting moment produced by the propeller.

Regards,

Adrian

You never know! I do have two propellers to paint tips in!😂😂

Thank you for your insight into the offset tail-fin! I hadn’t thought of that!
I can always rely on the excellent knowledge and insight from my friends and fellow modellers in Britmodeller!👍

Thank you, I knew there would be a sensible reason why they did that but I hadn’t found it, even online but maybe I’d entered the wrong keyword!:huh:

Cheers Adrian.👍

I felt like doing something today; painting tyres and propellers etc and I gave the Seamew its first coat atop!:clap::penguin::wow::party:

IMG-1059.jpg In the plans, the line of the upper and lower paint on the sides of the engine cowling reaches just above the engine exhaust stubs; the picture on't box shows the line to be half way up the cowling! Hmm!

IMG-1061.jpg

IMG-1062.jpg

• Like 6

The colour is building now! Tomorrow I'll give it a rub back where its needed and a wipe before its 3rd coat. Any blue I get on the underside of the sponsons I wipe off right away and then later on I'll rub it with fine paper and repaint it back in with insignia white.

IMG-1066.jpg

IMG-1067.jpg 

I also started painting the lines on the clear parts; I gave them a few hours and then used a cuticle pusher (wooden stick fer yer fingernails!) to carefully scrape away the excess paint on the glass areas. I'll let it dry a bit longer and later today I'll give it another coat of paint; tomorrow I'll do the same again with the stick and see how it looks. If its fine it can be fitted when ready to. The wooden sticks I sharpen just by rubbing the end on a sharpening stone; the wood will not scratch the window areas and is great for removing the excess; makes a smart job.

IMG-1070.jpg

• Like 8

That is looking smart! The Seamew has a strange appeal for me (actually both do - I also like the British Short Seamew). I suppose I like odd, little-known types.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That is really looking very nice.

Nice paintwork.

Cheers,

Alistair

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That is looking smart! The Seamew has a strange appeal for me (actually both do - I also like the British Short Seamew). I suppose I like odd, little-known types.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Ali; the paint thinning definitely works! Much nicer finish, but then its Colourcoats! Its always gonna look great!

Yes, Jason there was a strange appeal to this one for me too, just its looks, its outline and because its a seaplane! Its starting to come around now!

• Like 2

I do like your work on this very maligned aircraft (although justified).  It looks like it should work, it just doesn't.  One of the corrections made to make it more stable was a larger tail that was curved slightly.  That may be why you are having so much trouble with the look of the tail plane.    I have the 1/48 version from Czech Model that is awaiting me to build.  You are manhandling a kit of an aircraft that had to be manhandled to fly.  Sorta full circle.  Excellent work and you are almost finished.  Keep it up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I do like your work on this very maligned aircraft (although justified).  It looks like it should work, it just doesn't.  One of the corrections made to make it more stable was a larger tail that was curved slightly.  That may be why you are having so much trouble with the look of the tail plane.    I have the 1/48 version from Czech Model that is awaiting me to build.  You are manhandling a kit of an aircraft that had to be manhandled to fly.  Sorta full circle.  Excellent work and you are almost finished.  Keep it up.

Thank you for that; yes I have read about this aircraft; in fact the Navy decided to go back to using the aircraft it was supposed to replace, the Seagull, its engine was part of the issue as it was underpowered and the aircraft flew slow, stability was an issue too hence the large tail (like a Helldivers tail, great big thing for the size of the aircraft). I like your Manhandling statement! Its actually quite true. I bought it because the picture on the box didnt really emphasise the tail but more the side profile, I guess I liked its unusualness; and because its a seaplane!😀

For a model I had little hopes of ever completing, at least not in the near future it has fought me a bit, but I've won the battle! Just needs one more coat of blue/grey and then I'll freshen up the white on the sponsons before adding other details.

The clear parts are painted and looking good but I think they could use another coat, and only slightly thicker so that it will cover just nicely. Here are the clear parts, I meant to add the picture in my post so I'll add it now.:surprised:

IMG-1084.jpg

• Like 5

Wasnt able to do much to this until later in the day and i have made a mistake; the undersides should be light grey, NOT white! I reckon two coats of thinned grey will cover the white well enough.

I gave the clear parts a final coat, touched in a few little bits in the front and rear cockpits, did some dry fitting and adjustments before fitting the canopies front and back.

IMG-1090.jpg

IMG-1091.jpg

Theyre glued with PVA and I'll leave it over night before I do anything else. I'll use PVA tomorrow when I remove the tape and elastic band to fill any crevices.  I wont fit the beaching gear until its all painted.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I had no idea the canopies were so square.

Regards,

Adrian

They’re actually a bit thin too, had to be careful when painting and cleaning, felt like they could break at any time!

• Sad 1