converting a Land Rover to a TACR1 - looking for details

bootneck

The hubs definitely look to be the same diameter just with more wheel offset for the wider tyres.

The predecessor appliance to the TACR1 definitely is what the RNZAF version is based on.

34 minutes ago, dcrfan said:

The hubs definitely look to be the same diameter just with more wheel offset for the wider tyres.

Thanks dcr,  can you advise what you mean about offset please?

Also, I'm not sure which axis each dimension is.  Can someone please explain, for a 9 x 16 x 6.5 inch tyre, which is the height, width and depth.  It should be obvious but I just want to get my drawing correct.

cheers,
Mike

• bootneck changed the title to converting a Land Rover to a TACR1 - looking for details

I think that I am getting some progress with these larger 16 x 9 wheels.  Here is my rendition of the wheelhub with five hexagonal nuts.

spacer.png

and with the tyre attached.

spacer.png

Hopefully a test print will be successful.

cheers,
Mike

I used Pink Panther wheels on my TACR.  They look much the same as the tyres on the dayglo RAF one I posted.  Hussar do those in resin but a Tamiya or Italeri Pinkie kit is almost certainly cheaper as a donor and easier to get.

Offset is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the centreline of the wheel, measured in mm.  This diagram explains it better than I can.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, bootneck said:

I think that I am getting some progress with these larger 16 x 9 wheels.  Here is my rendition of the wheelhub with five hexagonal nuts.

spacer.png

and with the tyre attached.

spacer.png

Hopefully a test print will be successful.

cheers,
Mike

Email sent to you Mike hope it helps?

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

A bit slow at the moment, as we have been swapping over the bedroom and mancave [I need more room!].  A simple enough job, so I thought, of shifting bed and wardrobes from the bedroom, then the tables and shelving from the mancave.  Problem and delays were caused by swmbo wanting all the shelving screw holes in the 'new' bedroom to be filled and sanded down, then repainted; plus new curtains etc.  :poke:

I have most of the mancave sorted now, just a few tweeks here and there, so I should be able to have a good session on the TACR1 over the weekend.

spacer.png

I suppose that I should start a WIP on this.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tyre cheat for you to think about. Years ago I needed a larger wheel Land Rover so I carved off the tyres from Tamiya Land Rover, actually the SAS version then matched them with tyres from Tamiya Quad gun tractor with hubs carved out.  I'm not saying the resulting tread was correct but the additional diameter and tyre bulk looked much better and received numerous 'how did you do that queries'.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi DCR fan,

I got diverted onto Pete's new Land Rover Lightweight build; however, I shall get back to the TACR1 as soon as that WiP is complete.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1