converting a Land Rover to a TACR1 - looking for details

bootneck

I am in the process of scratchbuilding the fire-fighting section for a Land Rover TACR1, using the Revell 1:35 kit as a basis. 

spacer.png

I have the main details for the side and rear, with the help from Mick Bell plans, but I am having difficulty working out how the top looks. 

spacer.png

I've done searches on dozens of images but they are mainly quarter-angled side views.  Does anyone have top down photos and details of how the roof area looks please?

cheers,

Mike

I built one of these far more years ago than I care to remember.  But I only had 35mm slides of this and a whole host of other Land Rover conversions and I'm damned if I can find them now.  I do have some old photo prints of TACR1 (and TACR2) which show the top and some other details of the side compartments, cab etc.  I'll need to scan them in.

• Thanks 1

I've just dug out an unmade BW Models TACR1 and according to that there is an exposed water/foam tank behind the rear crewmans seat.  I wouldn't like to vouch for the accuracy in this area of the kit so would like to see some photos of the real thing myself. 

Edited by Evalman

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I built one of these far more years ago than I care to remember.  But I only had 35mm slides of this and a whole host of other Land Rover conversions and I'm damned if I can find them now.  I do have some old photo prints of TACR1 (and TACR2) which show the top and some other details of the side compartments, cab etc.  I'll need to scan them in.

Thanks DA, I would appreciate that.

2 hours ago, Evalman said:

There are some images of a 1/48 kit that was / maybe still is available that may help you.  

http://album.sixappealwheel.org/index.php/Froukos-Models/album72/ARFF-Models-England/RAF_Landrover_groen_voor

Cheers Peter, it looks as if it's just an open bathtub.  That will be much easier to produce.

Thanks again,

Mike

The in-service TACR 1 used bigger tyres than a standard Landrover if I recall correctly (?)

In the second post I've included a couple of images of how I solved the brushguard construction (for an RAF Landrover Ambulance).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by John Tapsell
  • Thanks 1

Yes there is an open box in the centre of the body roof with a pull-over soft cover containing another hose branch and nozzle.  I cheated with my brushguards on this and an ambulance by not including the flange at the back of the outer frame.........

• Like 1

Thanks John,

those images are great and well worth the wait.  One photo has answered a query that I was going to ask:  whether there were two seats or three.   Your grill looks very good also,  I have already produced the grill for mine as a 3D print.

spacer.png

I recently saw a photo showing the rear of two green TACR1's; each had a different lower rear cross bar.  One was the typical straight across with the tow hook in the centre; the other looked like the angled  V shape versions seen on early civilian Land Rovers.  Any information on why the differences?

cheers,
Mike

Hey great minds almost thinking alike.  Two nights ago I started conversion of an Italeri Land Rover into the RNZAF equivalent crash fire engine.  First I have to backdate it into a series 2A version which requires a new radiator grill then I will also break out the plastic card 😀  I did find some much nicer resin wheels now I just need to remember where I found them. 

52247694342_4c1e936180_c.jpgF0E1479F-F90B-4478-A458-C7062F248B89 by tankienz, on Flickr

P.S. Note a Land Rover only has 5 wheel nuts, not the six on the Revell/Italeri kit.

Paul the wheel nut counter 

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

I found the resin wheels.  They appear to have the correct tread, right number of nuts but possibly not the recessed hub characteristic of the TACR 1 wheels.

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-minor-m-w35009-1-35-land-rover-7.50-nato-wheels-for-italeri-kits

I've just ordered a set and can report on their suitability when I receive them in about 15 days.

Edited by dcrfan

I don't know if these will help now but here they are anyway now I've scanned them.  The black and white tube in some photos is graduated in 1 inch sections.  I have some TACR2 pictures too if you ever look in that direction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those are excellent photos, thank you for posting them!  There's so much extra detail there.  Is that Yeovilton's fire station in the background?  I remember that from one of my postings there.

spacer.png

TACR2 would also be very welcome please, as I intend to build/convert all of the Land Rover series to 1:35 scale.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Yes it is Yeovilton.  Well recognised.  I had a trip down there very, very, very many years ago to photograph TACR 1 and 2.  Certainly in the 80's.  I was intending to do both of them in 1/24 using Esci kits, but didn't - although I did do the TACR1 in 1/35.  I'd better get scanning the TACR2 pics.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Another query, what did the predecessor to the TACR1 look like?

Good question.  TACR1 was a military special design in service from 1972 using AFFF as the extinguishing agent.  The direct Land Rover predecessor was the dry powder ACRT.

You might find these sites useful.  http://vehicles.firemuseum.uk/  https://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk/vehicles.html

spacer.png  spacer.png

TACT

• Like 1

Ah!  that's the next one that I want to build, not the TACR2 as I don't have any Range Rover kit but I do have Land Rovers.  Thanks for the links. :thumbsup:

Mike

A TACR2 would have to be 1/43 or 1/24 as there are no Range Rovers in 1/35.  Although Oxford Diecasts do quite a nice ready-built one in 1/76 in several schemes, along with some other airfield-appropriate vehicles.  But where's the fun in that?

There was once a 1/48 TACR1 from HartSmith Models in resin, and an LR ambulance too.  But I have no idea where you would find one these days.

Don't forget the Navy ones were painted  fluorescent orange up until the early 1980s and I believe the yellow cab roof was standard.

This photo at Culdrose  is from 1987 and you can see the orange showing through in places. 

8220511844_c69fb81731_c.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

that's interesting to know.  I was based at Culdrose from 1970 to 1972 but never picked up on that. 

Cheers,
Mike

I've had a go at drawing and printing the larger tyre.  I'm not entirely sure what all the dimensions are for a 16 x 9 tyre [h x w x d] .   How high would the tyre be, from ground to top,, without weighting?

spacer.png

I need to identify the hub size now, whether it was a standard size or larger.  Can anyone advise please?

cheers,
Mike