Hobbyboss 1/72 Alconbury Aggressor

Finally the F-101A Voodoo for Century fighters GB is completed so now I can get stuck into this.

I have always wanted to build one of the Alconbury Agressors.

Decided on the scheme for 74-1532 of the 527th.

Oh & the big edit is that I won't be using the Esci 1/72 kit as it's completely the wrong version of the F-5 as I had been a bit naive about the different versions

What we really need is a 1/72 sheet with the proper fonts for the aggressor numbers!

52245360825_3d69b40673_h.jpgAnyway here's the box top...

52302375970_f414b850b9_h.jpg

• Like 9

Forget the Microscale decals, going for the numerals from the Hobby Boss kit.

52245035408_69b12ef416_h.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bo hermansen said:

Your kit is an F-5A, the decals are for an F-5E

Bo

That's correct. 😉

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome to the build, @Lightningboy2000.

Sounds as though there is a hidden plan here?

All will become clear in the end.

I will be doing one of the Alconbury F-5E's 74-1532 of the 527th

Basically it's all about what available decal sheets are usable wether they are printed correctly or if the numbers match up with the serials that belonged to the 527th. It appears that there aren't any sheets dedicated to the 527th & if there are the design of the aggressor numbers is wrong or out of register.

• Like 1

Interested in what you're doing here Martin.

I'm a big fan of the 527th out of Alconbury and I also like the ESCI F-5A but I really don't think they marry up as there's too much work involved in turning an A into an E. Although a WHIF is allowed according to the rules of the GB.

🇺🇦

4 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

What we really need is a 1/72 sheet with the proper fonts for the aggressor numbers

Why not just by a sheet of generic Russian bort numbers in multiple colors. Ive seen stuff like that online and seems like it would be easier ? Or is the font that much different from what the Russian’s use ? 

OK, I was being a bit rash & naive about this. So there are quite a few, some major differences between this Esci A and what should be an E.

I've a couple of choices.

I've got this..

The Hobby Boss "E" which has been shelf bound for a few years.

52245546936_0cab60ce05_h.jpg

Or build this...which I'm reluctant to do as I think the kit is a load of 💩

52244595227_0ae4b71659_h.jpg

I'd prefer to carry on with the Hobby Boss kit if I'm allowed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Why not just by a sheet of generic Russian bort numbers in multiple colors. Ive seen stuff like that online and seems like it would be easier ? Or is the font that much different from what the Russian’s use ? 

I don’t think they are available in the correct size. IIRC the 527th used 18” codes. None of the attempts at doing their codes in 1/72 thus far (Airfix, Heller and Microscale) have got them right. It’s frustrating, as I really want to do one of each scheme used by the 527th. If only Two Bobs had delivered on their plan to release the Alconbury Gomers sheets in The Only Scale That Matters. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I don’t think they are available in the correct size. IIRC the 527th used 18” codes. None of the attempts at doing their codes in 1/72 thus far (Airfix, Heller and Microscale) have got them right. It’s frustrating, as I really want to do one of each scheme used by the 527th. If only Two Bobs had delivered on their plan to release the Alconbury Gomers sheets in The Only Scale That Matters. 

Heller on my sheet are completely out of register. Microscale sheet that I have doesn't have the correct bort numbers for the 527th & like you say they look too small anyway. I wondered about that Two Bobs sheet. I tried asking them about the retirement 493rd black tail F-15C in 1/72 but no, they'd rather keep to 1/48.

If I can't carry on with my Hobby Boss E kit then I might scrap my plans & go for an A in some random kit scheme.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Heller on my sheet are completely out of register. Microscale sheet that I have doesn't have the correct bort numbers for the 527th & like you say they look too small anyway. I wondered about that Two Bobs sheet. I tried asking them about the retirement 493rd black tail F-15C in 1/72 but no, they'd rather keep to 1/48.

If I can't carry on with my Hobby Boss E kit then I might scrap my plans & go for an A in some random kit scheme.

Annoyingly, they have done some sheets in 1/72. Just not the ones I want! I do find it baffling that no one else has seen fit to do any Alconbury decals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

I'd prefer to carry on with the Hobby Boss kit if I'm allowed.

Can't think why not.  Carry on with the HB kit.
You might want to update the title of this build to reflect your revised plans.  (Easy way, edit your opening post, change the title, and save the post.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Can't think why not.  Carry on with the HB kit.
You might want to update the title of this build to reflect your revised plans.  (Easy way, edit your opening post, change the title, and save the post.)

Will do that. Thanks Robert.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Ah, causing ructions already Martin:fight:. Whatever you get to build will be at your usual high standard.

Stuart

Causing ructions through my own confused naive ambitions! This might have confused me with a T-38 conversion as well!

• Haha 1

On with the build.

Today I have been correcting the nose gear as the scissor link faces forward. Hobbyboss doesn't provide the alternative nose leg. Esci/Italeri does but not extended, yes I just want to copy one taxying with the canopy up & a pilot figure in place.

52301851513_a6ca3e11ea_h.jpg

Drill through the whole thing. Get the razor saw out & seperate the parts. Then run brass rod through. Sounds simple but is anything ever?

Added the scissor links with plastic strip.

Drilled out the gun ports & added brass tubing.

52302111594_91d742e70e_h.jpg

52302336395_a170cc4fa3_h.jpg

52300859457_0b66a2c5d3_h.jpg

52302336335_5fbea7377e_h.jpg

That's progress so far.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, excellent scratch work on the nose gear!

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great work on the nose gear Martin, very effective.

🇺🇦

Thanks chaps!  😊

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Some lovely scratch building on your nose leg, especially with those scissors.

Thanks Robert. A bit of fiddly work, but seems quite strong enough with the brass rod through it.

• Like 1

Since last time, I added the forward part of the Rob Taurus vacform canopy & masked it up.

Just started to add some white marbling. Hope to give it some variation, & depth. Maybe in the vain hope that it can be seen through my layers of subsequent paint! Also scribed in the engine bleed air ports either side of the fuselage, as seen on the box art but not included in the moulding.

52317744211_d4b0899726_h.jpg

Undercarriage airbrushed white.

52317744171_97668472d6_h.jpg

I assume the inside of the gear bay doors is white as well.

• Like 9

That's coming along nicely, your marbling looks promising.

8 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Have you seen @Ol' Scrapiron's images of F-5E undercarriage bay in the reference section?  One of those images include an F-5E at Evergreen Aviation Museum.
F-5E-Tiger-II-Evergreen-2015-11-22-5953.

11 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

There's seems to be a choice of silver or white. Sometimes both on the same aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1