The Deputy Walks On Hard Nails And The Preacher Rides A Mount - Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I

19 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I'm just going with the kit decals. It's just going to be a straight fun build.

I'm a bit surprised by this. Given your predilection for captured German aircraft in RAF markings, I was convinced this was going to be sporting a swastika or two.  

I'm sure it'll look great anyway.

Craig.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I'm a bit surprised by this. Given your predilection for captured German aircraft in RAF markings, I was convinced this was going to be sporting a swastika or two.  

I'm sure it'll look great anyway.

Craig.

Sorry Craig,

A straight OOB build as something simple I can do in between the trickier stuff.;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

You're fine Chris.

I just get that look followed by a slight shake of the head. :unsure: and know there will be a reckoning later. :D.

Cheers,

Alistair

Ahh yes Alistair, phew!!!  The look that is familiar to us all!!!

• Haha 1

Here we are two pages in and I've only just cut some plastic.

All the cockpit bits, the fuselage and wings were cut off the sprues this morning.

I used Troy's taped wing jig to build the wheel well and then did some thinning of the trailing edges.

Bits were primed, and then when that was dry painted with Flat Aluminium and Interior Grey Green.

I let that dry and went in with a brush for some black, then some grey dry brushing, the decals were placed and everything was given a wash.

bknNsXZ.jpg

rO5482g.jpg

bfQNSuo.jpg

K2eOmuH.jpg

2DzzF1y.jpg

WZeojOI.jpg

y4TyBDk.jpg

6Bnh6a7.jpg

1zRFj15.jpg

WcbM6Eq.jpg

There just may be some glue in the near future.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

Very nice Alistair. I may become used to more modelling in this scale,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely progress Alistair,  the cockpit details and U/C bays look great and this will soon be together.   

Cracking work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Very kind.

37 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Crazy talk!

I cannot deny that I may have been accused of that in the past. :wacko::lol:

37 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Very nice Alistair. I may become used to more modelling in this scale,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger.

It's more what I'm used to. 

There weren't many other scales available in the Highlands when I was growing up.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

MT34BrR.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

Ooh. nice fit of the wing under the nose. How did you do that?
My attempts at this kit have required a fair bit of scraping in that area to get it all to fit without ridges.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Ooh. nice fit of the wing under the nose. How did you do that?
My attempts at this kit have required a fair bit of scraping in that area to get it all to fit without ridges.

Can't take any credit for that I'm afraid.

@Troy Smith gave me the method of using the wing pieces taped together as a jig for building the wheel well and it has made things a lot easier getting the fit of fuselage to wing.

There was a little clamping required to help it into position but that was it. I got lucky.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Can't take any credit for that I'm afraid.

@Troy Smith gave me the method of using the wing pieces taped together as a jig for building the wheel well and it has made things a lot easier getting the fit of fuselage to wing.

There was a little clamping required to help it into position but that was it. I got lucky.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

Aha! I always attached the keel part (the underside after the wing) first as a backstop for the wing assembly, and wondered if that pushed the assembly a touch too far forward, requiring some scraping of the fuselage at the nose joint.

I never got round to it, but I wanted to experiment by following the instructions (heresy!) and trimming the mating edge of the keel as required for a good fit.

• Like 1

I like this clamps you used for the fuselage, tool for the job!  Excellent progress Alistair, all the more exciting because it brings you closer to the Swordfish 😉

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, mark.au said:

I like this clamps you used for the fuselage, tool for the job!  Excellent progress Alistair, all the more exciting because it brings you closer to the Swordfish 😉

Glad it's not just me then 🤣

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Blimey Alistair I turn my back for a short while and it's nearly all together, looking good fella.

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

It's starting to look like a Hurricane now.

20 hours ago, mark.au said:

Thanks Mark,

It will be up next I promise. :whistle:

20 hours ago, Dunny said:

Glad it's not just me then 🤣

Nope me as well.:D

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

..and as if by magic, a Hurricane appeared. Are you building a Swordfish Alistair? That'll be worth seeing.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

This lot have cajoled me into building one.:wink:

I'll have a crack at the Trumpy 1/32. God help that poor kit.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

On 29/07/2022 at 12:06, AliGauld said:

I'm just going with the kit decals.

One of the few tweaks I made was to repaint the red bits, as they are pillar box red, not brick red. I used vallejo light rust.  (see pic), over varnish, so you can just wipe off an overpaint.  

47324893582_d4345b4452_b.jpg

it also has the advantage that you can touch in the leading edge if the fin without having to match the decals. 

Glad the wheel well hint worked, I noticed a couple 'how did you get that fit' ..... if you get the main spar wrong, the wing is then too thick, and you get the step that they talk about.  

I think that's the only real potential 'gotcha' with the kit.    I should be getting some spare Arma canopies , and plan/hope to do a couple of the later BoB fabric wing planes.

neat work so far

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1