The Deputy Walks On Hard Nails And The Preacher Rides A Mount - Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I

Never having built an Airfix Hurricane before and needing to go with something simple as I need to get going with the Eduard Spitfires and strip and respray the Sunderland.

I thought I would have a go at an Aldi Special.

rIv5Mxy.jpg

rSeLisA.jpg

wyvyXLd.jpg

NLGVQIl.jpg

vDEjvHO.jpg

4Y1aAI4.jpg

I'll get going with it after my Night Shifts this week.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to this, I have built a couple ofvthese and really enjoyed them.  Good luck with the night shifts Alistair 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm hoping it'll be straight forward.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I'm hoping it'll be straight forward.

overall it is, but pay attention to fit, and I suggest using the upper/lower wing halves taped together as jig for the front of the wheel bay, as it's easy to misalign and can cause fit  problems later.  Dry fit the front between taped wing parts, get alignedm,  add a little liquid glue for capillary action.  Let set, repeat with rest of  wheel well. 

see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

overall it is, but pay attention to fit, and I suggest using the upper/lower wing halves taped together as jig for the front of the wheel bay, as it's easy to misalign and can cause fit  problems later.  Dry fit the front between taped wing parts, get alignedm,  add a little liquid glue for capillary action.  Let set, repeat with rest of  wheel well. 

see here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

HTH

Thanks very much Troy,

I'm certain that will be a huge help.

Cheers,

Alistair

25 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Super excited to watch this one, @AliGauld!

Thanks very much and pull up a comfy seat.

4 minutes ago, RET said:

Make sure you don't leave any Blood on the Tracks with this one.

😄

It'll all be fine as long as we keep The Jack of Heart away from the thread. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RET said:

Anyone with any sense has already left town.

I have this kit - unbuilt - so I'm looking forward to your progress,

Cheers - RET

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Alistair

Looks like an interesting subject Ali. I see you got the paints too! I'm sure you'll fill the thread with anecdotes and reference. I still need to add a Sea Hurricane to my meagre FAA collection. I'll pull up a seat and follow with interest.

Colin

• Thanks 1

A nice easy build - sheltering from the storm indeed! The Airfix Hurricane has a couple of gotchas (thick trailing edge, metal behind gun covers) so make sure you don't take "too much for granted"...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Looks like an interesting subject Ali. I see you got the paints too! I'm sure you'll fill the thread with anecdotes and reference. I still need to add a Sea Hurricane to my meagre FAA collection. I'll pull up a seat and follow with interest.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

This is just a bit of fun, I hope, but I will be doing the Arma in Navy Colours soon.

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

A nice easy build - sheltering from the storm indeed! The Airfix Hurricane has a couple of gotchas (thick trailing edge, metal behind gun covers) so make sure you don't take "too much for granted"...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

I'll make sure I don't just try to stroll this one and keep an eye out for gotchas.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Ali, I haven't seen the ARMA kit, we don't get such luxury at the bottom of Africa. My good friend Tony O'Toole, 9now elsewhere0 has built a couple. So I think on my summer sojourn to the UK, I may have to indulge.

Colin

• Like 2

Ali, this is a nice kit (provided you follow what @Troy Smith says about the wheel well!) and it looks superb when built.  I've done one and have another four (?) in my stash which I must get around to building soon.

• Like 2

Alistair,

Look forward to this - look forward to a stripped Sunderland even more!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Ali, I haven't seen the ARMA kit, we don't get such luxury at the bottom of Africa. My good friend Tony O'Toole, 9now elsewhere0 has built a couple. So I think on my summer sojourn to the UK, I may have to indulge.

Colin

If you can get hold of one when you're here they are great kits.

14 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Ali, this is a nice kit (provided you follow what @Troy Smith says about the wheel well!) and it looks superb when built.  I've done one and have another four (?) in my stash which I must get around to building soon.

Thanks for that. I'll certainly listen to all the advice that I'm given.

Whether I can live up to it is a different story.

12 hours ago, mark.au said:

That’s not how you spell Swordfish!

Aw shucks you caught me out.:blush:

I was going to start the Trumpy kit but @bigbadbadge made me go and order some aftermarket goodies for it and I will need to await thier arrival.

Blame him as always I am completely innocent in this matter. :whistle:.:poke::tumbleweed:

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Look forward to this - look forward to a stripped Sunderland even more!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'll make a start on the Sunderland possibly on Saturday.

Will I be able to show such revealing pictures on a family platform though. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Alistair,

Glad to see you're finally buckling down to some tricky stuff. It's a nice kit which I expect you'll have finished by the weekend. If you want to know how really not to do it, may I recommend my build of the same kit which may be found here. If you make one improvement to the kit, I'd recommend breaking out your belt sander and thinning down the trailing edges of the wing.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Craig.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

If you make one improvement to the kit, I'd recommend breaking out your belt sander and thinning down the trailing edges of the wing.

Actually, thinking further on this, what I'd really do in break into one of the numerous Arma  Hurricanes in your stash and replace the mighty chunk of plastic Airfix use to (incorrectly) depict the cockpit canopy with an Arma version (I think they come with open and closed versions?).

Craig.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hi Alistair,

Glad to see you're finally buckling down to some tricky stuff. It's a nice kit which I expect you'll have finished by the weekend. If you want to know how really not to do it, may I recommend my build of the same kit which may be found here. If you make one improvement to the kit, I'd recommend breaking out your belt sander and thinning down the trailing edges of the wing.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

I've had a quick run through of your thread and bookmarked it.

It will be a massive help.

8 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Actually, thinking further on this, what I'd really do in break into one of the numerous Arma  Hurricanes in your stash and replace the mighty chunk of plastic Airfix use to (incorrectly) depict the cockpit canopy with an Arma version (I think they come with open and closed versions?).

Craig.

That thought had occurred to me as I've got a couple of Arma ones and the Eduard Hurristory boxing, so, should have some to spare.

Cheers,

Alistair

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Aw shucks you caught me out.:blush:

I was going to start the Trumpy kit but @bigbadbadge made me go and order some aftermarket goodies for it and I will need to await thier arrival.

Blame him as always I am completely innocent in this matter. :whistle:.:poke::tumbleweed:

😄 Sorry Alistair,  I'll take one for the team there, just tell SWMBO that I also live in Australia like the others and she won't be after my hyde😉:whistle:

Chris

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I'd recommend breaking out your belt sander and thinning down the trailing edges of the wing.

I know this is light hearted about the thickness but a really useful tool for this is a gooseneck cabinet scraper

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283580248580

no connection seller, just the cheapest on ebay.   You can get smaller scrapers, this is 180mm/4.5 in

I find it really good for doing substantial  thinning, work inside the trailing edge at first, where you remove a fair amount of material, and the go carefully up to the edge, you can use a curved knife blade, but the scraper will do the main work, and it's fast.   Also less messy, as you get plastic shavings rather than dust,  the shaving are handy, as you can add to glue to make sprue goop, or  just glue onto to small dings/dents to fill them.

7 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

what I'd really do in break into one of the numerous Arma  Hurricanes in your stash and replace the mighty chunk of plastic Airfix use to (incorrectly) depict the cockpit canopy with an Arma version (I think they come with open and closed versions?).

correct, they also made them thinner than their first issue.  You would need to reduce the airfix spine a little, the problem with the Airfix canopy is the spine is too scale, and the canopy fits the spine, but due to plastic thickness, the canopy is thus too high... as is the windscreen..

Also, what Airfix provide is the very early canopy,  mostly used on the L**** series, (first batch) while there are plenty of fabric wing Mk.I's with the later standard canopy.

Mk.I Hurricanes are very complex in the fine details, far more than is usually understood....

@AliGauld, do you have a scheme in mind, or  just the kit decals?  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

@AliGauld, do you have a scheme in mind, or  just the kit decals?  

Hi Troy,

I was intending to use a scraper to thin the trailing edges but thanks for the link I could use a proper Gooseneck one.

I'm just going with the kit decals. It's just going to be a straight fun build. 

Cheers,

Alistair

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

😄 Sorry Alistair,  I'll take one for the team there, just tell SWMBO that I also live in Australia like the others and she won't be after my hyde😉:whistle:

Chris

You're fine Chris.

I just get that look followed by a slight shake of the head. :unsure: and know there will be a reckoning later. :D.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1