The mighty Zonda - the one that started it all.

Hello,

I was going to start my participation in the forum with my build of the Huayra, but decided against it, because the WIP has been going for a bit on a different forum. So I am building my other Pagani on here, which nowhere else is even mentioned that I am working on. I wasn't going to start it before I finished the Huayra, but I can't help it. 

I am starting with the Aoshima kit 

alcttR.jpg

And just yesterday, I received the Detail Up Parts.

JCcHST.jpg

• Like 9

So, every time I start a model, I study the instructions really well. Then I look at the parts threes really careful and I determine if I am going to follow the instructions or I'm going to go my own way. 

My goal always is to assemble as many parts before painting a certain assembly as possible. 

So the engine block was all glued together.

tn1B9X.jpg
4BpBDx.jpg

The instructions called for a little cover to be glued to the block assembly. On the intake there is even a stub designed for the part to be mounted on. However, it is a part of the engine cover and it should be glued to it, because i gets painted body color as the rest of the engine cover. So I cut out the mounting stub and glued the part to the engine cover. 

K8ypcl.jpg

And made sure that everything fits properly.

xx5Dyq.jpg

Next I looked at the frame and determined that it could be assembled in two parts before painting. Upper and lower. 

The lower part is just two pieces. 

girSkQ.jpg

While the upper is considerably more elaborate. 

02sX9E.jpg

Now both can be properly cleaned up, sanded and filled if necessary, before painting so all the seams become invisible.

fRxZEN.jpg

The two piece radiator assembly was put together.

WdcFMw.jpg

And all four pieces of the rear bodywork were glued together.

f7geZo.jpg

The side bodywork was also glued to the chassis plate, using the interior tub for proper aligning during curing time. 

rO7C2U.jpg

That's it for now. Next I'm goign to start adding color and detail to all the subassemblies, where the fun begins. 

Cheers

Mozzi

• Like 9

So, funny thing….. I’ve been doing some research on the Zondas. And it prooves to be far more difficult than expected. The Aoshima kit says on its box that is a Pagani  C12. This however is inaccurate, as this is most definitely a Zonda S. I was trying to get different pictures of interiors and engine compartments to get ideas. This got me reading and what I found out is that most of these cars are constantly morphing from one look/spec to another. A lot of them have been crashed and then repaired with updated bodywork, engine, transmission, interior, wheels, colors. Any of these elements changed over time with accidents, change of ownership or simply with time. 
   I was mainly interested in getting accurate color schemes for the interior. I have desided that I am going to build and display the model fully opened and focus on displaying its interior and engine detail instead of design lines. Therefore I will be painting the car some kind of silver/grey shade and wanted appropriate interior in colors that would showcase the interior design. What I have found is that most silver Zonda S cars had either black or blue interiors and I’m not interested in those. I know one of the original Top Gear guys had one of those cars and if I remember correctly, his had some sort of two tone beige interior, which is what I am more after. 
   It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has pictures of that car and most importantly it’s interior and engine compartment. 
Thanks in advance.

Mozzy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, Lucky13 said:

So, funny thing….. I’ve been doing some research on the Zondas. And it prooves to be far more difficult than expected. The Aoshima kit says on its box that is a Pagani  C12. This however is inaccurate, as this is most definitely a Zonda S. I was trying to get different pictures of interiors and engine compartments to get ideas. This got me reading and what I found out is that most of these cars are constantly morphing from one look/spec to another. A lot of them have been crashed and then repaired with updated bodywork, engine, transmission, interior, wheels, colors. Any of these elements changed over time with accidents, change of ownership or simply with time. 
   I was mainly interested in getting accurate color schemes for the interior. I have desided that I am going to build and display the model fully opened and focus on displaying its interior and engine detail instead of design lines. Therefore I will be painting the car some kind of silver/grey shade and wanted appropriate interior in colors that would showcase the interior design. What I have found is that most silver Zonda S cars had either black or blue interiors and I’m not interested in those. I know one of the original Top Gear guys had one of those cars and if I remember correctly, his had some sort of two tone beige interior, which is what I am more after. 
   It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has pictures of that car and most importantly it’s interior and engine compartment. 
Thanks in advance.

Mozzy

Officially, up until the F, all Pagani Zondas are referred to as Pagani Zonda C12, with Zonda C12 6.0, C12 S 7.0, C12 S 7.3, C12 F and C12 F Clubsport. After that we just referred to them as Zonda 6.0, Zonda S 7.0 & 7.3, and Zonda F & F Clubsport. Confused? Me too.

Also, the C12 S on the first episode of revamped 2002 TopGear was owned by Harry Metcalfe, the guy behind EVO Magazine and close friend of Jeremy and James. Sold it a few years ago. I think you can still see his old Zonda on his YouTube channel Harry's Garage.

Another added info: Several Zonda C12 S got the upgraded wheels from C12 F too.