Rareplanes/warbirds 1/72 Pfalz D.III

I purchased two cheap vacforms earlier this year shortly after swearing never to touch a biplane again:

490F392E-C4CF-4ACB-A534-DE1B2FC3EC30.jpg

And these have now both been completed; the D.XII has its own RFI but the WIP for both of them is here.

So the D.III is finished in the colours of Otto Kissberth, carrying an Edelweiss. The scheme is somewhat apocryphal (I’ve never seen a photo) but it’s so pretty I had to do it:

99-EF39-EB-62-F8-4-B11-B35-C-DFEA3648-BE

EE136-BD1-C634-490-F-B292-7-E2-AC62-E176

F2-CF2577-3-A3-D-42-EC-8311-D36-A6354601

FC1-A7-C0-C-B819-4-B2-F-8022-11-D588-C6-

57-A3-EFFC-BD2-F-4-B91-B52-A-C43-AB078-E

Here it is with the D.XII, making the pair of “Pfalz Friends” (last outing for the pun, I promise!):

BA9-BD969-9129-4718-829-C-206-C22299-D2-

7-C37698-E-F7-CC-4-DEC-8-ABB-85504840121

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 34

Very nice work. Detail on the motors and the carved props look good. Keep this up and you'll be able to stage your own Hell's Angels (1930).

And where I live, Blue Meanies are fungi.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding job on your Pfalz Friends Adrian. :goodjob:But I do have to question the sanity of squadron that uses a fried egg for a unit marking on the side of their aircraft.....:hmmm:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Following on from @TonyW's comment about Blue Meanies on one of my other builds, I can't help thinking that the centre of the Edelweiss reminds me of a cartoon of a fat Samurai trying to blow up a storm!

:coat:

Adrian

Driving back from Ely a few days ago, I passed a couple of drainage pumps on the side of a field. They looked for all the world like two Koreans fishing to me.

I'm going to cut out mushrooms for a while and then take another look.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, opus999 said:

Those are beautiful!  I am amazed that they are vacuform.  Vacuform models seem utterly impossible to me.  Nice work.

I'm with opus, vacuform kits are a bridge too far for me... so far. Superb results on both Pfalzes, Adrian! Your rigging and decal work with the printed fabric is impressive.

• Thanks 1

I’d like to say “from humble beginnings” but what you started with was far less than that. An absolute masterclass of modelling on all levels. Thanks for sharing, these two are fantastic!!! I’m in awe. 😍

Johnny

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

I am amazed that they are vacuform.

4 hours ago, Pyradus said:

vacuform kits are a bridge too far for me...

17 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

from humble beginnings

“Bumps on t’plastic? Eh, you were lucky! When I were a lad we had to make our own vacs wi’ a rusty spoon and a candle…”

Thanks chaps. Each to their own I guess. I’d rather be building a vac than wrestling with teeny tiny PE. Or looking for it on the floor… :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1