Fw190 in Memory of Jerry Crandall

Kit             Tamiya.

Paint         Tamiya & Mr Color lacquers, Xtracolour enamels.

Decals       Eagle Cal 48-173.

Extras        None.

Fw190A-3

Stab IV / JG5

Herdla, Norway

Late 1942.

akzDwMK.jpg

YolOjmP.jpg

sW3KV2J.jpg

HhGjj2z.jpg

m3lsM9O.jpg

9KY9yw0.jpg

MKcku1j.jpg

Ym5ybfs.jpg

GVa5xr6.jpg

ggLBFVA.jpg

On another forum there is a group build in memory of Jerry Crandall (of Eagle Productions) who recently died of complications arising from Covid-19. This is my entry for that GB.

This is the 1994 Tamiya kit, built without any modifications or AM other than the decals from Eagle-Cal sheet 48-173. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and Mr. Color lacquers (and Xtracolor enamels for the fabric control surfaces). My third ‘old’ Tamiya kit in three months and sixth WWII build in a row.

The build is entirely predictable – in a good way – absolutely no surprises, what did surprise me was just how co-operative (if smelly) Mr Color and Tamiya lacquer paints are. I’m a recent convert and am finding them an absolute joy to work with. Lots of pre-shading, perhaps a little too much and careful weathering with W & N oils – no pre-mixed washes here. The decals behaved perfectly, but then Jerry Crandall prioritised accuracy & quality above all so not surprised by that.

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments/criticism. All the best from a wet’n windy New Zealand.

Ian.

• Like 37

Absolutely beautiful. You did Jerry proud. Why did you block the swastikas on the model but not the profile. I understand the necessity to block it in some areas but I don't understand the inconsistency. The model would look nicer (IMO) with swastikas.

Great job. 

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mycapt65 said:

Absolutely beautiful. You did Jerry proud. Why did you block the swastikas on the model but not the profile. I understand the necessity to block it in some areas but I don't understand the inconsistency. The model would look nicer (IMO) with swastikas.

Great job. 

Yep it's a good point, I've only shown the profile here at Britmodeller to illustrate the Eagle-Cals decal sheet. I've posted the completed build pics on a number of FB modelling pages and because of the inconsistency of Facebooks' modding bots, I decided to self-censor those photos. So yes inconsistent, but with a purpose.

Best from NZ.

12 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Spot on perfect Ian.  Well done my friend. :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you Mike, good to see you're still around matey. 

Cheers everyone really appreciate the responses - Six WWII builds in four months including the three similar vintage Tamiya ones, just one more 'prop' to finish over the next few days then I'm going to take a break and let my (so-called) skills/enthusiasm regroup. Never built so many projects in such a short time period, maybe semi-retirement does have some advantages afterall.

Thanks again folks.

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darknark said:

Wow. Amazing skies on display. One of the best 190's I have seen.

Care to share how you did the exhaust stains? Airbrush?

Oil paints.... dry brushed three tones starting with an Ochre, then an Umber lastly an 'off-black' called Paynes Grey. I use oils a lot, but this is the first time attempting an exhaust plume using this method.

HTH.

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3