'Top Gun' Tiger

Col.

My usual routine is to leave a "like" as a calling card,you poor soul this one really isn't playing nicely.

I have nothing practical to offer but you are welcome to all the moral support I can give.You'll get it there old chum,if you want to borrow a hammer just PM where you want it sent to.

Have a few of these,they're free of charge :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin::penguin:

• Haha 2

Blimey, Col, this one's testing you, isn't it? I really hope you can find a scheme that works after all the effort you've put into this one.

James

• Thanks 1

Remember stupid boy here forgot the Remove Before Flight tags he wanted to place in the cockpit?

20220814_084604

A pair of Flightpath's printed paper RBF tags went in there a lot easier than I expected. Fitted using a pair of tweezers and a cocktail stick and fixed with some tiny dots of Micro Krystal Klear.

Canopy on next

2022-08-14_02-34-21

The filler tells its own story. All the work done to ensure the bare canopy fitted well came to nothing as I forgot to account for the effects of constant manipulation and gluing all the extra parts in :doh:

• Like 7

Grrr!  What is it about Hobbyboss kits?  They're either great or shocking, and not much in between.  Still, you'll laugh about this little caper later on (maybe).  You're doing a grand job whipping it into shape.

• Thanks 1

Given that both aggressor decal options are for F-5N rather than the E model this kit represents I've spent a bit of time looking for alternatives. Sadly there's nothing currently available by way of aftermarket decal sheets in 72nd scale. I do have a set with the tail markings for a 'MiG-28' from the Top Gun film but a single overall satin black scheme won't do much to camouflage the issues I'm having with the canopy to fuselage join in the way a more complicated and visually interesting aggressor scheme would. A bit of digging around has, however, unearthed some schemes that make use, at least partially, of the kit decals.

160795 '23' featured on the page Craig linked would certainly be a challenge to paint the stripes but I'd also need to do the NAVY, VFC-13, star and bars etc.

Here's the other side of it

Adversaries of NAS Fallon page6 (modelingmadness.com)

The other option which makes better use of the kit decal option of '01' is this one...

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/f-5e_vfc-13/

I'd still need to source new numbers for the aircraft serial of 730865 but that has to be easier for black ones than the brown of 160795

That's two options but the search is ongoing.

• Like 4

One of the poorer parts of the HobbyBoss kit in comparison to its Italeri ancestor was the chunky intakes. What I didn't expect was for them to clean up and reshape so well as they did and as a result I'd made no effort to represent the intake trunking. Intakes covers to the rescue

20220820_093603

Plenty clean-up still to do once the glue has set but sure you get the idea.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat minor progress on this one during the week. Scribed in some missing panel lines

2022-09-07_12-53-39

I'm awaiting the arrival of some spare decals from a friend that will hopefully open out more marking options but in the meantime this one has all but stalled along with my enthusiasm for modelling. Putting it down to the darker evenings meaning I'm now faced with the prospect of modelling under artificial light and the need to find better lights for the workbench.

• Like 4

Made the two aerials that sit under the forward fuselage from some spare brass sheet and set them into grooves cut with a heated knife

2022-09-10_11-44-44

A little more cleaning up required but happy with how they look.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

The aerials look very good to me mate, good job fitting them too.

🇺🇦

Thank you Craig. The whole task too a lot less time than I envisioned so should have been done ages ago :lol: although it's proved the concept works and can be applied to other stalled projects. Now, however, I really should work on some auxiliary components to keep this project moving :hobbyhorse: 

• Like 2

This one has stalled but remains my current project while I dither and swither about which scheme to paint it so please ignore me while I post links to photos of potential subject choices. For a while I reconsidered remodelling the nose and LERX to better represent an N have drifted away from that idea once more and have been looking at USAF options.

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 021 (cybermodeler.com)

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 039 (cybermodeler.com)

Cutting and mixing various sheets I've been given from a friend would allow this one with its unusual representation of the Bort Numbers for some extra visual interest along with the chipping around the guns and weathering of the insignia all of which will no doubt attract comments from those who know better at shows. There's also two photos of it in the Detail & Scale book to allow getting the scheme correct.

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 008 (cybermodeler.com)

This one has a far simpler scheme that may serve to highlight the flaws in my fitting and filling but has caught my eye. Again I've a photo taken from the other side to show more details.

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 066 (cybermodeler.com)

While this one is a few shades of grey the fading, filth, and chipping adds plenty interest...

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 067 (cybermodeler.com)

..or can be done cleaner after somebody took the time to wash the poor thing.

F-5E/F-5F USAF Aggressor Photo 071 (cybermodeler.com)

A simpler scheme than the first and third options but still interesting.

Still awaiting one more promised sheet but in the meantime I should get on with ancillary components such as the undercarriage and airbrakes rather than doing nothing at all to progress this project.

• Like 1