'Top Gun' Tiger

Col.

Pick up this kit last week

2022-07-17_08-44-46

to match with these references I've had for many years

2022-07-17_08-45-33

Sadly the HobbyBoss kit could have been better. A poor copy of the Italeri one at best with a few extra errors added for 'good' measure. I'll try to discuss these while working through them  but since it's a tradition let's start in the cockpit...

Here's what comes in the box

2022-07-18_06-33-21

Which is wrong and needed a bit of work to sort out

2022-07-21_08-04-33

As well as creating a rear bulkhead and shelf the cockpit tub has been trimmed to match, its floor extended forward, and the unit moved forward 1.5mm to put everything in a more accurate position.

I also felt the need to add some sidewall detail

2022-07-25_07-03-07

2022-07-25_07-01-20

Along with all this is the fact the seat is so undersized it would be better in the cockpit of a 100th scale model. Wolfpack Design comes to the rescue here with a 3D printed replacement

2022-07-25_06-52-04

While these are designed to fit the Italeri kit it slots perfectly into the HobbyBoss kit; perhaps lending some credence to the rumours the latter is a modified copy of the former. As you can see I've removed one from its support scaffolding already and test fitting shows it needs no further modification.

Still a few extras to scratch-build in the tub including throttles and rudder pedals but I've realised my plan to close the canopy has been spoilt by modelling the large canopy operating lever on the starboard sidewall in the open position :doh: This means I'll have to scratch-build the mechanism behind the seat. Or make a new lever in the closed position...

• Like 12

Nice to see you here, Col  Great work on the cockpit, much better than the kit offering. I've got the Italeri kit sat next to me and it looks neigh on identical to the Hobby Boss kit, with the exception of having raised panel lines. And yes, the kit seat is a bit rubbish

James

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the encouraging words lads :blush:

The cockpit tub is done for now and so the arrival of the Rob Taurus canopy set has given me something else requiring attention

2022-07-28_02-48-39

As you can see the windscreen is obviously too short and steeply raked but the main canopy also features too shallow sills and no angle of rake to the leading edge of its rear solid portion.

A few hours of careful trimming and test fitting has got it to a point I'm satisfied with so it's now time to detail the interior.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Those Rob Taurus canopies look good, and very clear - but sounds like you have a lot more work due on the 'pit?

There's several items attached to the canopy's interior framework that I want to add now Robert :)

• Like 1

Think I've stuck enough bits inside the canopy now

2022-07-31_07-43-11

Rather than create the HUD I'll model the fabric cover commonly seen fitted to aircraft sitting parked in the desert sun.

• Like 9

Excellent modelling Col! 

Just today I was looking at where to get a decent replacement ejection seat. Things like this are getting hard to find. Also that vacform canopy might look better than the Heller canopy that I was considering replacing the kit item with.

So where did you get that seat from?

I might just have to sit back & see how it's properly done before I cautiously get back into mine. 

Martin 

• Thanks 1

Great start Col,I'll be interested to see how your HUD cover look's there isn't even a HUD supplied with the Tiger Hobbies kit not sure if the "A" had one!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Excellent modelling Col! 

Just today I was looking at where to get a decent replacement ejection seat. Things like this are getting hard to find. Also that vacform canopy might look better than the Heller canopy that I was considering replacing the kit item with.

So where did you get that seat from?

I might just have to sit back & see how it's properly done before I cautiously get back into mine. 

Martin 

Thanks Martin. The seats were from eBay and the canopy from Hannants. So long as I don't make a mess of either I'll have one of each spare so if you're not in a hurry to get restarted with your project they're yours.

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great start Col,I'll be interested to see how your HUD cover look's there isn't even a HUD supplied with the Tiger Hobbies kit not sure if the "A" had one!

Thanks Steve. Not quite sure how I'll make the HUD cover yet but have a few ideas.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Thanks Martin. The seats were from eBay and the canopy from Hannants. So long as I don't make a mess of either I'll have one of each spare so if you're not in a hurry to get restarted with your project they're yours.

Thanks Steve. Not quite sure how I'll make the HUD cover yet but have a few ideas.

Definitely take you up on that thanks Col! 

Thank you for the encouraging comments gang. Much appreciated.

It's been a busy weekend so please excuse the extensive update...

Guess who forgot to take a photo of the finished cockpit before installing it

20220807_072350

Worse than that is the fact stupid boy here forgot to fit a couple of Remove Before Flight tags and trying to get them in there is going to be a significantly more difficult task now :doh:

The tailplanes had to be thinned down a lot before I was happy with installing them and getting the fuselage parts together for the filler-fest to begin

20220807_072301

Most of that has now been smoothed off and the next fun task is fitting the intake parts. Let's just say they're another opportunity to use some modelling skills <_<

• Like 3

Having gone at the intakes with a proper workshop-grade file to force them into a proper shape it was time to fit the wings. They don't. In fact not only do they not fit they also do not fit in the correct place

2022-08-07_06-27-40

Roughly 4mm too far forward when seen from above thus putting the LERX tip in line with the intake opening. On the underside the wing wheelbay is about 2 and 1/2 mm too far forward in relation to the fuselage Bay.

2022-08-07_06-29-08

I may have called the people at HobbyBoss names I should apologise for. Let's be clear, I said should apologise, I'd didn't say I'm going to.

A sort of solution was to trim the rear of the mounting tabs by 3mm

20220807_185223

Ooh, look at all those lovely ejection pin marks and sockets for the unrequited wing pylons, more filler required 

Then another issue became apparent 

2022-08-07_06-59-33

It looks like a bloody bird caught mid flap. The source of this issue was a ridge of flash on the edge of the lower fuselage part.

Sorted now

2022-08-07_08-40-42

Well, apart from the gaps along the wing root...

2022-08-07_08-41-17
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Remember I confessed to calling the people at HobbyBoss horrible names? The above issues were not the only reason for my outburst. A clubmate also likes aggressor aircraft and took a look for photos of the two machines covered decal options supplied with this kit. Guess what? Take a guess. They're wrong. Surprise!  Both options are for ex-Swiss Air Force machines and as such should have the later 'shark' nose and extended LERX.

We could simply ignore that and carry one. Nah. There's a few errors and omissions in the provided decals anyway.

We could remodel the nose and extend the LERX. Although that would be easier to achieve by using the most recent retooling of Italeri's kit and still leaves us with the decal issues to sort out.

We could go with an aftermarket decal option appropriate for the earlier configuration. Except what has been done for that was done a long time ago and isn't available now.

Bugger.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh dear Col. Hobbyboss really are out to test you with this one aren't they mate.

Your cockpit looks fantastic, and the fuselage halves do look like they went together quite well.

And then it goes downhill a bit doesn't it, I don't think I have ever seen wings that attached at that angle before and as you show very well with the plans it doesn't even fit in the right place. And then the decals are for the wrong version!! You might be able to find an aircraft that fits the bill with the bort numbers supplied in the kit, but I will see if I can find any available online although as you say there haven't been any around for a while for aggressors/adversaries.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh dear Col. Hobbyboss really are out to test you with this one aren't they mate.

Your cockpit looks fantastic, and the fuselage halves do look like they went together quite well.

And then it goes downhill a bit doesn't it, I don't think I have ever seen wings that attached at that angle before and as you show very well with the plans it doesn't even fit in the right place. And then the decals are for the wrong version!! You might be able to find an aircraft that fits the bill with the bort numbers supplied in the kit, but I will see if I can find any available online although as you say there haven't been any around for a while for aggressors/adversaries.

🇺🇦

At least the kit was cheap Craig :lol:

I've an ancient Microscale catalogue which shows a few sheets they did for the F-5E/F with various aggressor options but even a search for the particular sheet numbers is finding me nothing in the usual places :( The other option is a MiG-28 from Top Gun but the overall satin black paintwork will be great for showing up any surface flaws and I'm sure there'll be plenty of those.

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Cockpit looks busy, hope you can attach the Remove Before Flight tags.
After all that work on the wings, hope somebody (you? Craig?) can find suitable decals.  GL

Thanks Robert. That's a task I really must get to before going much further.

• Like 2