USAF Medium Green ANA612 (sometimes referred as Dull Dark Green, FS34092, or late WWII US interior colour)

Casey

I've been asked by one of fellow modellers to do some work on this color.

I have FS34092 samples from various times, but I've based my work on excellent Monogram US Navy and Marine corps Aircraft Colors 1940-1949 publication, where they provided a sample of Medium Green 612 color. I've did all the color matching to that parcitular paint chip.

Those are practice-verified samples, so here are the results:

TAMIYA MIX based on VOLUME

p?i=5d60aef2423cbaec5d7d4b72ad137cd5

Golden Fluid Acrylics based on MASS (I've added some Matt medium to that sample to bring it closer in perception to the matt level of the target. Tamiya XF paints are by definition having matt finish, but if you are a modeller that uses glossy varnish before decals, you may prefer to use paints without any finish additives)

p?i=5b83065e343009d74658304977393e68

FYI - if one of Medium Green above looks like it has blueish undertone to you, then it is the effect of different daylight time I had when making those photos. The source (bottom) are the same colors samples just photgraphed in two different condition. That's why relying on color photographs is not the best idea for judging color differences...

Anyway, here are the recipes:

TAMIYA (volume based)

OUSAC075 - Medium Green 612 - Flat
    Suggested using total of 4 parts (DE00: 0.84)    Expected: #4C594C, Simulated: #4C584C
        XF-5 - Flat Green: 1
        XF-2 - Flat White: 1
        XF-11 - J.N. Green: 2

GOLDEN FLUID ACRYLICS (mass based)

OUSAC075 - Medium Green 612 - Flat
    Suggested using total of 49 parts (DE00: 0.21)    Expected: #4C594C, Simulated: #4B594C
        Primary Cyan: 5
        Raw Sienna: 37
        Ultramarine Blue: 7

And here is spectrophotometer analysis of end results:

TAMIYA:

p?i=fcddec4c6ec891f16577b5c22bccf42e

GOLDEN:

p?i=52a0adf29553294160b21f84152ecf79

They both seem to be equally good match in practice for me.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Casey
Updated title to be more descriptive
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

• Casey changed the title to USAF Medium Green ANA612 (sometimes referred as Dull Dark Green, FS34092, or late WWII US interior colour)
  • 4 weeks later...

Hummm,I wasn't interested- then I read it all.

Wow! Fine work Casey.  Thanks for this. :clap2:

[aside to self:  wonder what "Sky" really looks like? 😆 -I crack myself up-sometimes]   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Surely Medium Green is something different to Dull Dark Green,  - a colour, I thought, restricted to interiors?

Yes, pretty sure that's true. The two colors are similar, but DDG is darker.

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Surely Medium Green is something different to Dull Dark Green,  - a colour, I thought, restricted to interiors?

I based a lot of my assumptions on data from here:

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

I have samples of Bronze Green #9 from same book and a multiple real FS 34092 samples + calculations of those if it is of any help.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1