1/43 Brabham BT8, Denny Hulme, 1965

Completed a couple of days ago, this is my model of the 2.0 Coventry-Climax powered Brabham BT8 entered by Sid Taylor for Denny Hulme in the 1965 Guards Trophy race at Brands Hatch, which was the first race meeting I went to.

spacer.png

Hulme easily won the 2 litre class in both heats, and finished fourth in the overall standings, beaten only by John Surtees (6 litre Lola T70), Bruce McLaren (4.5 litre McLaren M1A), and Jackie Stewart (6 litre Lola T70).

The base kit is by Automodelli Studio and is, I think, based on the old Kaiser kit.  I had to make a few changes - the alloy scoops on the nose section and lower sides were not very well defined, so I made replacements.  The tops of the doors were not the correct, curved, shape so I corrected these with sections of plastic card.  This, in turn, meant that I needed to vac-form a new screen to match the new door profiles.  In addition, the "holes" in the top and rear of the engine cover weren't very well formed, so I constructed replacements from sections of plastic tube and strip, ground away the resin, and fixed the new items in place.  Finally, I scratch built the spoiler as the photo-etched kit item wasn't to my liking.

spacer.png

I also added a bit of extra detail to the cockpit by way of chassis tubes, etc.  The rear view mirror was also scratch built.  There were quite a few air bubbles on the underside of the body, but no more than I would expect from a resin casting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made the name stickers from Letraset on sections of white decal stripe and I sourced the race numbers from my spare decal stock.  Yes, the 3 and 6 are meant to be of different styles and sizes.  Here's a picture from the Autosport race report.  (I couldn't find an exact match for the sixes.)

spacer.png

I'm quite pleased with the end result, and it's a nice memento of my first race meeting.  (A model of John Surtees' winning Lola T70 is in the stash!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 20

Very nice model Trevor,the  body mods are quite impressive! You beat me for your first race visit,mine was the Boxing Day meeting at Brands Hatch in 1966,and I still go there now. Support your local racetrack…Chris.

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice one Trevor. It is a great pleasure to see a piece of the Bears less well known history given life. 👍

Steve.

Future F1 and double Can-Am champion - Denny Hulme was a bit underated IMHO.

Trevor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Lovely job! I never liked the look of the BT8 (give me a Lotus 19 any day), but let's face it - those sports racers all looked good!

Thanks very much.  Can't say the BT8 is particularly attractive, but it was effective.  Personal choice, Lotus 23.

Trevor

On 26/07/2022 at 08:26, Kitkent said:

Very nice model Trevor,the  body mods are quite impressive! You beat me for your first race visit,mine was the Boxing Day meeting at Brands Hatch in 1966,and I still go there now. Support your local racetrack…Chris.

Cheers Chris, thanks very much.

Never got to a Boxing Day meeting for some reason or other.   And that's despite living only five miles away until I joined the RAF in 1977.  Went to plenty of races though, all the way from humble club meetings to F1 and BOAC 1000.  

Trevor

On 26/07/2022 at 08:33, Bengalensis said:

Another little master piece. Lovely detail corrections, and things such as the quirky race number adds a lot!

Thanks very much.

Trevor

Edited by klubman01
additional info
  • Like 1

That's another cracking little gem Trevor with more of your signature additions and corrections that make such a difference to the finished model!

Do you have all (or most) of your finished builds on display? It would be great to see a pic of them all together :)

Top job again!

Keith 

36 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's another cracking little gem Trevor with more of your signature additions and corrections that make such a difference to the finished model!

Do you have all (or most) of your finished builds on display? It would be great to see a pic of them all together :)

Top job again!

Keith 

Thanks Keith.

I have some on display, typically six or seven, on the bookshelf unit in the dining room.  Each is mounted in a BBR display case.  Keeps them dust free, which keeps "senior management" happy.  The remainder go back in the boxes they came in, but get cycled around as the mood takes me.

Trevor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

A lovely car Trevor from a bygone era 👍 

Thanks very much.  Definitely "old school" technology!

Trevor

• Like 1