Bore-sighting and Zeroing of WWII Aircraft Guns, and Dioramic Possibilities

Jackson Duvalier

First, let me state that I am aware of the late, great Shep Paine's warning on this topic and I understand that modelling the full length of 200-400 yard aircraft target butts is impracticable, even in 1/72.

However, I was recently reminded of this magnificent and incredibly model-genic colourised photograph of a weather-beaten F4U-1 Corsair undergoing a gun zeroing on some sun-blasted coral island.  The empennage has been hoisted via chain lift under a makeshift gantry fashioned from palm logs and scrap lumber.  An impressive number of boffins are swarming about doing Important Things.  Loads of details are on display, from the opened-up port-side gun bays (the starboard bays are probably open too, but are hidden) to the deflected control surfaces to the improvised stands and jacks; the canopy is even back (in accordance with accepted modern modelling practice) and the left shoulder strap of the harness is dangling over the edge of the cockpit.  It would be ever so handy if there were five or six more photos of this operation from various angles but I've never seen them.

The thing of it is that I don't really know much about how the actual zeroing of WWII aircraft guns was accomplished beyond basic theory. Obviously much effort by many men was involved, but who did what where is an important thing to get right on any maintenance diorama, IMHO.  Modelling the hardware alone won't tell the story.

The Wikipedia article on gun harmonisation indicates this may be quite the rabbit hole, but if anyone has been down this path before or considered it, I'd appreciate any input you can share.

Imagine that scene above modeled with a 1/32 Tamiya Corsair and all the garnishes done right-- it'd be a show stopper.  

• Like 1

As I see it, you don't need to know how the actual adjustment was done. Creating the gantry and placing the Corsair will tell the viewer enough. 

Go ahead, it's a great idea. 

/Finn

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

You could always do it in 1/350. There is scope for a whole line of Corsairs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000906512045.html

As above, you don't need the technicalites.

Aye, but in 1/350 nobody would notice the jauntily draped shoulder harness, and it'd be a real chore to model the deflected control stick and rudder pedals.  

(Also the totally extravagant superfluous Corsair superkit that followed me home yesterday is considerably larger than 1/350.  🙄)

17 hours ago, BS_w said:

The F4u boresighting was made with targets at 30 or 50  yards and no need to fire the guns,

so at 1/72 or 48 scale, the stand is not large.

This is good information, and I thank you for it.  In the photo I linked to, there's an object that could be a target stand, some distance forward of the starboard wing.

Now, where did you learn this and what else do you know about it?  Can you direct me to further references?  Don't make me get the comfy chair.  😄

Not a Corsair but this may help a little:

MzwR8Rml.jpg

This is a photo taken in April 1944 at RAF Lashenden (today Headcorn aerodrome) in Kent. The Lancaster had made an emergency landing a few hours earlier. 

Lashenden was then home to the 354th Fighter Group.

I believe the P-51B in the foreground is having its' guns sighted using the rig by the Lanc. I love some of the detail with the P-51 having the tail raised up and weighed down.

Mark

• Like 1

Very interesting thread! In the linked articles it's interesting to note that sometimes guns were sighted to a "box" at a certain distance, obviating the need to have a range long enough to converge to a point.

That may be what the Mustang above is doing. It would be an advantage for fitting a diorama to a reasonable-sized base!

5 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

Not a Corsair but this may help a little:

MzwR8Rml.jpg

Interesting!

the pattern is visible in front of the Lanc, we can see the target circles for each gun on panels.

the pattern was at 1000".

spacer.png

• Thanks 2