Shameless! The J-35 knock off.

Alan P

The best photo yet of the new 'J-35' carrier capable F-35 clone.

2022-07-25_05-51-13

They're not even pretending anymore. Nose shape, forward-hinged canopy (why?!) IRST shape and placement, intake shape, planform, heck even the ejection seat is virtually identical. Then the serial number.

Maybe the only reason to fit two engines was to make some difference to the source design!

I'm sure it was a perfectly original design, honest, Guv 🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Looks familiar indeed.....

And there was definitely  talk of successful styling on the F-35 program.

But then why make it different?

- Would it matter on the market if it did?

Who is going to sue them anyways?

Isn't it the internals that count ;)

Does it have to look different  in order to be successful actually?

To me it looks much longer  proportionally, a bit more pleasing to the eye...

Look at the current Tempest design...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

I think it was said by another member here why almost all new aircraft look the same it has nothing to do with copying but with the limitation of stealth aircraft design.

Yes, I hope that knowledgeable member was able to explain the forward hinging canopy, which was designed to achieve commonality across the F-35 variants  caused entirely by the location of the lift fan on the B model 🤔

The whole cockpit area is a bit of a puzzle to me. I understand why the F-35 has that humped back look (due to there being a lift fan right behind the cockpit on the puddle jumper version) so why does the J-35 need the hump? Is it to shield the cockpit from radar from the rear hemisphere? If so I'd have thought the 2 jet pipes sticking out the back would negate any advantage of that idea and it will reduce the view the pilot has of Maverick on his tail. As someone else has said it's what's under the skin along with the operational doctrine that'll really make the difference.

The J-35 is arguably easier on the eye than the "Pigeon" but it's not going to be battling it out in a beauty contest. It is interesting to see how it's transformed during development from looking like an F-22 to looking more like a twin engine F-35 (or F-22 rear end with an F-35 front end grafted on. Is there a single engined F-22 lookalike using up the left over front and rear fuselages hiding in a hangar somewhere in China?).

I suppose the irony of it being the J-35 isn't lost on it's designers or future operators either.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Nobody  seems to be noting the most obvious... it is already  called  J-35 😉 the Chinese F-35...  :devil:

Of course it needs to look similar....

They would surely go for single engine, but obviously they could not copy that enormous beast as of yet

Wonder why all others also go for twin engine 😉 

BritishTempest, Korean Boromae, French/ German SCAF, Japanese X-3?, Turkish/BAe efforts...

Only thing, the J-35 seems the most ready design! And it is carrier based !

13 minutes ago, exdraken said:

They would surely go for single engine, but obviously they could not comply that enormous beast as of yet

Wonder why all others also go for twin engine 😉 

BritishTempest, Korean Boromae, French/ German SCAF, Japanese X-3?, Turkish/BAe efforts...

Only thing, the J-35 seems the most ready design! And it is carrier based !

I'm not entirely sure it's fair to compare what is (let's not kid ourselves here) a knock-off of a fighter that first flew almost 16 years ago to a selection of sixth generation projects or much more recent fifth generation aircraft from smaller countries. 

The F-35 has the monster that is the F-135 which gives it plenty of power while not needing the added weight and complexity of a twin engine design - it also makes maintenance easier for those NATO countries with smaller infrastructure. Also easier at sea. The others, notably Tempest, have none of these as constraints being designed as minally exported, land based and with engines with significantly more power. The J-35 simply wouldn't have enough power to operate with one engine effectively. 

• Like 2

I believe that Hollywood would describe that as a "re-imagining" of the US design. 

To my eye, it looks much closer to the F-22 Raptor than the F-35 "Big Yawn-Inducer 4000".

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Worth noting the J-35 is targeted to use the WS-19 engines, its (supposedly) fitted with the WS-13E in the recent images.

Likewise the J-20 is using the WS-10C engines currently, with the WS-15 engines being flight tested a few months back.

So both the J-20 and J-35 are currently "underpowered" in their current iterations and expecting more powerful engines in the future.

But I think regardless of these aircrafts being "knockoffs" its worth remembering that 25 years ago the PLAAF's frontline fighters were J-8's and J-7's which are both essentially MiG-21's (though extensively modified) and now they're on the cusp of 4++/5th generation fighters- with an economy and aerospace industry which can support significant numbers unlike Russia and its Su-57. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cerperal said:

The J-35 simply wouldn't have enough power to operate with one engine effectively. 

Consider also this is supposed to become the PLANAF's future carrier-based aircraft, so overwater flight with 2 engines might add a failsafe just like the F-14 & F-18 offered.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Des said:

J-35 Knock off?     Looks nothing like a Draken.

J35 Draken is totally different,  because it is written without a dash.... :D I think...

Apart from that it does a bit... has a pointy nose, a pair of wings, tricyle landing gear, single seat cockpit, ...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

Yes, I hope that knowledgeable member was able to explain the forward hinging canopy, which was designed to achieve commonality across the F-35 variants  caused entirely by the location of the lift fan on the B model 🤔

Maybe they got inspired by the MiG-21F13 /J-7 aircraft  :devil:

Ir they simply found it easy to copy its mechanism....

Modern jets are like modern cars - they all look increasingly alike regardless of country of origin. I do have to wonder, though, how much of the criticism is down to Western cultural snobbery? Disparaging another culture for whatever reason is dangerous - see what happened with Japan in 1941. Best not to fall into the same trap with China.

Mike.

• Like 4

The Soviets suffered from the same bias before the war - the I-16 was a glorified Gee Bee racer, the I-15 was a glorified Curtiss Hawk, The Tupolev SB was I'm sure a glorified something or other (wasn't it called the 'Martin' bomber during the Spanish Civil War, after the B-10?). All original designs, and better than their 'inspirations'.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor change.
  • Like 2

Although certainly no fan of the F-35, it is immeasurably better-looking than the monstrosity that was the X-32. That was meant to blind the enemy or turn them to stone like the Medusa.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I-15 was a glorified Curtiss Hawk

Albeit washed at a too high temperature

And don't get me started on that F5/34 copy called 'null'

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeR said:

Modern jets are like modern cars - they all look increasingly alike regardless of country of origin. I do have to wonder, though, how much of the criticism is down to Western cultural snobbery? Disparaging another culture for whatever reason is dangerous - see what happened with Japan in 1941. Best not to fall into the same trap with China.

Mike.

Not long ago a German historian talked about the western arrogance and the results of it in a programme on a German Television channel.

Saluti

Giampiero

Edited by GiampieroSilvestri
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, exdraken said:

J35 Draken is totally different,  because it is written without a dash.... :D I think...

Yes , I took a bit of poetic licence with the dash although the export version for Denmark was the original F-35 with a dash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My sarcastic answer:

It's the highest possible praise for the American designers.

Because only if something is really good will it be copied.

It is a honor. You have to earn envy and attention!

Happy modelling

• Like 1