Eiko has left the chat

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks really good Gerard, the colour looks very good to me and it also looks like a nice smooth coat of paint.

The picture you linked shows how effective this camo was against a blue sky.

🇺🇦

Cheers Craig, I do like the scheme and I think I got pretty close with the first colour. But all credit for the smooth coat goes to the AK Real lacquers, they always spray beautifully.

• Like 1

Aggressor blue on now. I am pretty happy with the colours, a little less so with my masking! There’s a few areas to tidy and some imperfections I’ve noticed too - that intake joins looks worse than I remember! But overall on track for a decent enough result I hope.

Aggressor blue

More painting

• Like 11

Thanks @Vultures1 @modelling minion The colours, if not spot on, are pretty close. I think with decals, maybe a wash and a matt coat it will look pretty decent.

Am in the process of cleaning up a few areas - an errant glue fingerprint I missed at primer stage and a few flecks of grit I had to sand back. 🙄 And a few areas where I wasn’t happy with my masking.

Which of course meant remixing the lighter blue colour, as I’d none left over from the first time. Rookie error. But got a good match in the end, and we move on. 😀

• Like 1

Thanks @RidgeRunner and @Ale85, something a little different for the gallery hopefully.

I feel like this week I’ve spent a lot of time on my Eiko with not much to show for it. But after a lot of remasking and respraying the two blues, I’ve now moved onto more masking, this time for spraying the details like the nose, intakes and little tan panels.

More masking

The black nose and intake edges and inlet splitters do add something to it I think.

A slow reveal

Just the aluminium canopy frame to do then on to gloss coating and decals this weekend hopefully.

This is proving a slow reveal (and the more I look at the more little imperfections I see!), but it’s getting there!

Gerard

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Do you want to know that your tan is a much larger patch than the real fibreglass panel?

Thanks Chris! I thought it looked to be big! I did follow the kit paint guide, but of course you’re right, as confirmed by that image and others! Appreciate you pointing it out. I didn’t wait too long in fixing it:

More masking and touch-ups

I’m on that merry-go-round of fixing mistakes leading to new areas that need touch-ups/clean-ups, but it’s just about there I think.

Gerard

• Like 5

No need to rush yet as there's plenty of time left in the GB mate.

You’re right of course Craig. I have to remind myself to be thankful for the time I do get making models, and not always wishing I had more! And stop lamenting that the Century, F-5 and F-15 GBs overlap! :giggle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thanks Chris! I thought it looked to be big! I did follow the kit paint guide, but of course you’re right, as confirmed by that image and others! Appreciate you pointing it out. I didn’t wait too long in fixing it:

I’m on that merry-go-round of fixing mistakes leading to new areas that need touch-ups/clean-ups, but it’s just about there I think.

Gerard

Very nice save Gerard, you can’t tell it’s overpainted. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two of my favourite things!

Decaling

Had a relaxing night with this lot. Somehow managed to get almost all the decals on, plus cook dinner and ferry my daughter to/from netball training.

Decals were standard Hasegawa fare, a little thick and occasionally a little unwieldy, but largely went on without any dramas. Largely! 

Decalled

Decalled 2

I nearly lost one of the intake warning decals - note for next time, trim excess carrier film before applying the decal. Don’t apply the decals, realise it has too much film to fit snuggly against the inlet cone, then remove the decal and try and trim it while wet and sticky. I had an inevitable tear, but managed to piece it back together.

There’s always one decal I manage to muck up! (And it had nothing to do with that beer of course…!)

On the home stretch now.

Gerard

• Like 7

On 8/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, Wings unlevel said:

I’m on that merry-go-round of fixing mistakes leading to new areas that need touch-ups/clean-ups, but it’s just about there I think

Hello Gerard!

looking great 👍🏽

I was about to point out a few spots 😂

you cleaned them all up, great job!

Patience and persistence are the key, and it’s well worth it. I need to improve in that area. 

Keep it up 👍🏽 Sam

edit: what a cool sharkmouth!!

Edited by Sam

37 minutes ago, Sam said:

I was about to point out a few spots 😂

you cleaned them all up, great job!

Cheers Sam! I’m always learning, and always making new mistakes to learn from! 🤣

39 minutes ago, Sam said:

Patience and persistence are the key

They are, but better eyesight would help me too! :giggle:

But thank you, I appreciate the kind comments. And yes I love that shark mouth!

Here’s another pic, now all the decals are done.

Decals done

Speaking of the shark mouth - the decal for it is a bit too big to properly fit/place the ejection seat warning/canopy release/rescue decals. I had to omit one of them (on the left side so not shown) and shuffle the placement of the others.  Not that you’d probably know by looking at it.

All told though I’m pretty happy.

Gerard

• Like 10

Very much looking forward to seeing this one finished, which should be very soon by the look of things.

Cheers Craig! I do enjoy this part of the build when it all comes together. Not long now before the Eiko exits the chat!

• Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 17:01, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking very nice!

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

its gonna be so rewarding removing those canopy masks.

Thanks! Hopefully this weekend we can land (in true Zipper fashion, at very high speed!) in the gallery!

Seeing this & having very much enjoyed my entry in this GB, I went looking for one or more of these, not a lot out there but the good news is it appears a re-release is imminent. The Canadian option is of considerable attraction too & then there are the Dirty Danes decals I'm waiting on so I can see a need for probably 3 of them. :) 

Steve.

• Like 3