Whats your biggest error?

PhantomBigStu

The list is too long, no build without something wrong and some corrective action needed. I consider myself a "plastic scrambler". I do not know where those words come from. They seem appropriate.

A notable one was on a major rework project of Eduard's original Tempest Mk. V. Every part was reworked and I also decided to back date to a Series 1.  I made myself a rear fuselage extension plug and having glued it in place and, having achieved the desired effect, ran in liquid CA into the fuselage to strengthen the joint (unnecessarily). Put it aside and on return found the liquid CA had run out everywhere. I then had a major clean-up, file, sand and re-scribe project. I didn't give up. Too much of my life went into this one. The final result was still nice. This remains one of my favourite and most satisfying builds. 

Tempest_G_4high

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not making a left turn at Albuquerque! 

In modelling, I built a Hobbyboss 1/48 F/A-18A in VFA-201 markings complete with Texas flags on the tails, posted the pics online to find out ten seconds later from the first public comment  that the flags were upside down! 

• Haha 4

Putting my paintbrush full with Humbrol Enamel in a crystal glass with a dram of Balvenie 18 yrs instead of the paint cleaner.. :D 

I think that was last time I had a glass of whisky at the worktable. 

/Bosse

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Must have been a hell of a smell 😆

It could have been worse, I could have drank the paint cleaner instead of the Balvenie. :lol:

/Bosse

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Marlin said:

It could have been worse, I could have drank the paint cleaner instead of the Balvenie. :lol:

/Bosse

I was just going to say that! 

• Thanks 1

Buying an Amodel i-16, the only kit I've ever given up on and thrown in the bin. In theory it should have been a pretty easy kit but the flash was that so bad in places that I genuinely couldn't tell where the flash ended and the kit part started.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, -Ian- said:

Buying an Amodel i-16, the only kit I've ever given up on and thrown in the bin. In theory it should have been a pretty easy kit but the flash was that so bad in places that I genuinely couldn't tell where the flash ended and the kit part started.

I had to laugh - I've had a few like that! 

^^^^^^^^ Then you go to a club meeting and talk about the flashy new kit you have.

Dick

• Haha 1

When I left my P-47 upside down while a decal set up, right near the end of the build.  Turns out that the paint was melted by the decal solution, so I had to flat it off and hide it by painting a slightly different colour.  Someone even said that the slight colour change was a good technique.  Yep.  Totally meant to do that! :yes:  Turned out OK though, thankfully :phew:

complete9.jpg

• Like 5

On 26/07/2022 at 21:42, Pigpen said:

Wife getting scratched and bitten trying to get tablet into cat.

That’s not a mistake. You getting scratched etc. is :D

On that front as a stupid teenager thought I’d play with the family German Shepherd with a three dog toys he wanted. I rotated them and he was always short of one of them. It did go on a bit long and I hadn’t appreciated quite how p’eed off he was getting until he dropped his two. You know those little front teeth they have?  Well he pinched the front of my shirt with them and did that rabbit kill thing. My shirt fragmented and off he went, tail in air and with a swagger in his walk and a bit of shirt hanging from his mouth. I didn’t bother getting it back

• Haha 3

My biggest plastic model related error was selling my collection of unmade vintage Airfix kits, all in Type 3 and 4 boxes and blister packs. I've replaced some of my favourites, but prices are now much higher and not all are available very often. 

I really regret that but, hey ho..

• Sad 1

There was that time when, during a late night modelling session, the jeweller’s loupe that I put to my eye turned out to be the lid of a tub of Lifecolor paint. I’ll never forget the squishy feeling of the paint making contact with my eyelid. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 5

When me and the ex wife seperated a good few years back, I sorted out my stash and a load of it went to the charity shop. This included the Tamiya Dragon Wagon and Famo with Trailer! Clearly wasn't thinking straight that day! I still give myself a kick about it every so often 🤦‍♂️

Regards,

Steve

• Sad 2

On 7/26/2022 at 9:42 PM, Pigpen said:

Wife getting scratched and bitten trying to get tablet into cat.

Let me have a go. Retreat into kitchen with tablet, cat and large beach towel. Return from kitchen some time later bruised, bloodied but with tablet inside the cat which has high tailed it through the cat flap and over the fields. Do the normal bloke thing of making a big issue of my success.

That's your job from now on then....

When you say tablet, I guess you’re not talking about an iPad?

Biggest mistake is a toss up between buying an Airfix 1/72 Concorde and calling my ex boss a see you next Tuesday. Both are equally 💩

Graham

• Haha 3

Modeling-wise, Heller Dragon Rapide, freshly brush painted silver. Silver, of course, especially when fresh, is fairly delicate and can easily be damaged by fingers, solvents and various other hazards. So let's brush on a coat of Clear to protect it and job done. Clear is a clear liquid (the clue is in the name) which comes in a clear plastic bottle. The problem is that white spirit is a clear liquid which comes in a clear plastic bottle........

Paul

• Sad 6

8 hours ago, vildebeest said:

Modeling-wise, Heller Dragon Rapide, freshly brush painted silver. Silver, of course, especially when fresh, is fairly delicate and can easily be damaged by fingers, solvents and various other hazards. So let's brush on a coat of Clear to protect it and job done. Clear is a clear liquid (the clue is in the name) which comes in a clear plastic bottle. The problem is that white spirit is a clear liquid which comes in a clear plastic bottle........

Paul

OUCH!!!!

If we're allowing non-modelling regrated regrets. Binning 70 or 80 cassette albums around 10 years ago.

By that point I'd long since bought all the ones I was interested in on CD and didn't even own anything to play them on, I was 100% sure I'd never play them again. I quite literally couldn't give them away, no charity shops were interested and if I'd have sold them as a job lot on ebay I'd have barely covered postage and paypal fees so in the end I just binned them.

Fast forward to 2022 and cassettes are now the latest hipster fad, looking at sold listings on eBay I probably could have made around £500 if I'd held on to them and sold them now.

32 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

If we're allowing non-modelling regrated regrets. Binning 70 or 80 cassette albums around 10 years ago.

By that point I'd long since bought all the ones I was interested in on CD and didn't even own anything to play them on, I was 100% sure I'd never play them again. I quite literally couldn't give them away, no charity shops were interested and if I'd have sold them as a job lot on ebay I'd have barely covered postage and paypal fees so in the end I just binned them.

Fast forward to 2022 and cassettes are now the latest hipster fad, looking at sold listings on eBay I probably could have made around £500 if I'd held on to them and sold them now.

I did the same with my vinyl collection.  Bummer. 

I've got a couple;

I put the nose wheel bay on a 1/72 Me 262 in back to front.

I glued the prop on backwards on a 1/48 Seafire XVI

I painted a duel seat TP-51D dark blue, when it was in reality light powder blue. In my defence, I was following a profile at the time, it was only later I found a colour picture of the aircraft.