Whats your biggest error?

PhantomBigStu

Having discovered a major error on previous build this morning, got me wondering about this as a topic. EDIT: Turns out I was looking at the wrong kit so my error may not be one, still topic stands 

edit: whilst the error wasn't real, still counts as an example, thought I'd painted a superhornet up that should only have coloured fins as a legacy hornet which had the coloured spine to match, but as I said was looking at a different kit with different unit 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Building the Revell 1/32 P-51 closed all the cockpit up. Photographed and put on Britmodeller.  Then put away in the display cabinet.  Went into my modelling room only to see the joystick of said P-51 standing proud on a peg on the workbench.😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jenko said:

Building the Revell 1/32 P-51 closed all the cockpit up. Photographed and put on Britmodeller.  Then put away in the display cabinet.  Went into my modelling room only to see the joystick of said P-51 standing proud on a peg on the workbench.😡

Ouch i bet that hurt....

Spraying Humbrol rattle can matt varnish on a 1/48 Huey.  It frosted on me, so I went reading t'interwebz and came to the conclusion that the way to fix it was to put cooking oil over the model...

That was back in 2015ish (maybe even as early as 2013) when I picked up scale modelling again, having only really ever built aircraft kits as a kid back in the very late 80s or very early 90s.

Edited by RobL

I've build loads of M4 Shermans, but recently, I still managed to glue the air cleaners at the rear, upside down! Fortunately, I discovered my mistake before the glue had set.

John.

• Like 1

Spilling Tamiya Extra Thin was a specialty for a while. Lost the painted and buttoned-up interior of a 1/48 PZL.23 Karas. :wall:Next was a Williams Bros 1/53 Electra. I was able to salvage that as it was just on the fuselage exterior, as a bonus, the event eradicated many of those gawd-awful rivets. Two other events since then, but leaving the glue to dry and primer made the event a non-event. Of course, now that I know how to deal with such events means they are less likely to occur.

I've had a handful of backward parts and 'oh, was I supposed to install that' parts.

I've learned to strip aircraft when the colors were just wrong--because I thought the kit instructions were valid--or the decals disappeared on a low visibility finish or just dissatisfied with the NMF.

Like others I took a break from modelling from my late teens to my mid forties.  When I started again I bought a few starter kits.  I must have built 3 or 4 before I realised the paint are acrylic! To be fair enamel paint was the only option when I stopped and white spirit seemed to thin the paint and clean the brushes alright.

Becoming a pilot instead of sticking to  making models of aeroplanes. 

Then getting married instead of  making models.

OK that one is not  a mistake. It was the  best thing that ever happened to me, it does impinge on the  modelling though. 

But my biggest modelling mistake was buying the Echelon 1/32 vacuform Hunter. Spending ages working on it but  never  finishing it. It was a great kit. I  botched it.

Wasting £200 on a pair of Accurate Armour 1/35 K2/Y Ambulances.

Opened the boxes - parts were - bent / snapped / full of holes / smashed / devoid of detail...

...oh & the instructions re the decal sheet were a joke.

I couldn't get one good model out of the pair - oh well - never mind eh.

Roll on the new releases from Airfix & Gecko :clap2:

I can get 5 for £200 :lol:

• Sad 2

Spilling the bottle of plastic weld glue into the kit box once.

Starting serious fuselage surgery on an old 1/32 Revell Mirage to backdate it it to a “C” and making 2 sides into 4 parts just in time to read the Italeri announcement of a new mould  state of the art kit 

Oh and always expecting an Aries cockpits etc to fit 

• Haha 1

Pretty much my first kit when I returned to modelling, a Revell Mustang III in 1/72. I put the U/C legs on the wrong side so the wheels were on the inside ala Hurricane. Didn't pick it till I made the Airfix P-51D/Mustang IV some years later. :) Still the same today. :D 

Steve

Wife getting scratched and bitten trying to get tablet into cat.

Let me have a go. Retreat into kitchen with tablet, cat and large beach towel. Return from kitchen some time later bruised, bloodied but with tablet inside the cat which has high tailed it through the cat flap and over the fields. Do the normal bloke thing of making a big issue of my success.

That's your job from now on then....

• Haha 7

Getting married

and similar to Jenko, buttoning up the fuselage halves of a P36 Hawk, nicely(?) sanded and primed only to realise I hadnt put the instrument panel in.......airgun time!!!!

• Haha 2