My First Build, A revell chinook ch47d in 1/144

Hi Everyone,  just thought I would show you my first build:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1wvTMHi36P8NeQTHA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iKMNh5YPZn9y7ZoH8

It's not brilliant I know,  I'm very new to this,  I built it, painted it, gave it a coat of gloss varnish,  put decals on, then matt varnish. 

Is that how your supposed to it?

I used vallejo paints and varnish throughout. 

Jerry. 

Edited by OWL1975
Trying to get photos to show
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jerry,

for a first build, it is not bad at all.

Well done!

I personally think that 1/144 is too small for someone who is a complete novice. Too fiddly, tricky to build and paint, and possibly more prone to discourage  a beginner .

1/72 is arguably the better scale to start with. Try it on your next model and give us some feedback.

JR

• Thanks 1

Hi JR.

Thanks for your reply,  I mainly model in 1/144 scale due to space issues, I'm eventually going to build an airforce base model using them, need to collect some more for that😁.

I do like the 1/72 kits so I may give one a go.

Jerry

7 hours ago, OWL1975 said:

Hi JR.

Thanks for your reply,  I mainly model in 1/144 scale due to space issues, I'm eventually going to build an airforce base model using them, need to collect some more for that😁.

I do like the 1/72 kits so I may give one a go.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

if you think 1/144 is your poison and are comfortable with it, then who am I to try and interfere.

As long as you are enjoying your builds, you are in a win-win situation.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Hi Jerry, that's a fantastic result for a first effort. I also model in 1/144 scale because of limited space, if you would like to have a go at something larger and stay within the scale then perhaps try one of the many airliner kits. If your interest lies in military aircraft then maybe Revell's C-17 or one of the V-force aircraft would be suitable - though they are costlier and may not be within your budget at the moment. Choose wisely and you will soon have your airforce.

Good luck with your future builds, I look forward to seeing more. 

John

Here are a couple of photos of some of my 1/144 models there is the odd 1/72nd build in the background.

48963250232_c5817e34c8_z.jpg

48963251472_1a560466b8_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies.

John:  very impressive builds you have there, I especially like the plane on the grass ( don't know what kind it is ).

Troy: Thanks for the tip, most helpful.

Jerry. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OWL1975 said:

I especially like the plane on the grass ( don't know what kind it is ).

I think it's a DH Rapide? 

OH, forgot to say, very impressive work on the Chinook, especially for a first build.

:goodjob:

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I think it's a DH Rapide? 

You are correct Troy, it is the AA version of Aeroclub's DH.89. I bought this and the BEA boxing at Telford several years ago. The rigging is out of scale and why I decided to have passengers waiting to board remains a mystery, perhaps I should start calling them spectators. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love 1/144 scale, and you've done a terrific job of that chopper!  I'm actually halfway through the exact same kit right now, and I even found some Canadian decals for it to add that Canuck flavour.  Very well done for a first model.

• Thanks 1

A very neat and careful build, especially in the (for me) rather tricky scale of 1:144th. Difficult to believe it's your first…

And you've got that gloss/matt coat business right!

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thanks Everyone for your replies and kind words, i found the chopper tricky but perseverance paid off I guess, I watched some videos carefully on how to apply paint, varnish etc and tried my best to do the same, I wish I weathered it but for my first build I'm happy and thanks to everyone who has given me so much encouragement and confidence to tackle my next project which will be either a revell eurofighter j92 or a revell f14.

Thanks also for identifying the DH 89 rapide, I'm going to try and get one myself. 

Jerry. 

29 minutes ago, OWL1975 said:

Thanks Everyone for your replies and kind words, i found the chopper tricky but perseverance paid off I guess, I watched some videos carefully on how to apply paint, varnish etc and tried my best to do the same, I wish I weathered it but for my first build I'm happy and thanks to everyone who has given me so much encouragement and confidence to tackle my next project which will be either a revell eurofighter j92 or a revell f14.

Thanks also for identifying the DH 89 rapide, I'm going to try and get one myself. 

Jerry. 

If you are sticking with 1/144 scale i can definitely recommend the Revell F14 or F-15E Strike Eagle...both are great kits and still quite a nice size even in that scale.

• Thanks 1

Hi Binbrook87,

I'm sticking with 1/144 scale for now, I have 3 unbuilt kits I bought cheaply in that scale,  I do however like the ww2 planes in 1/72 so I may give one of those a try when I've built the others.

Jerry