Tasca Sherman II, El Alamein

Eventually I'm calling this done!

Built and 90% completed for the M4 GB earlier this year I've eventually got around to finishing it.

Unfortunately very little modelling time these days, (even for BM!) however with the odd 10-15min I've been able to finish the Sherman and assemble and paint some Miniart figures, along with the kit provided commander, whom looks a little undernourished in comparison. 

I'd thought of a base but frankly I'm sick of seeing this thing on the bench so time to move onto another shelf queen!

Enough woffle and the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all folks!

Until next time, thanks for taking the time to have a look, any questions or queries feel free!

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

Good to see you about Darryl and thanks for showing us your cracking Sherman. Excellently painted and lovely, subtle weathering. It has a warmness to it which really suits its theatre of war. Nice one.👍👏

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Autle said:

Really nice especially the painting, well done.

Thanks, really appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Good to see you about Darryl and thanks for showing us your cracking Sherman. Excellently painted and lovely, subtle weathering. It has a warmness to it which really suits its theatre of war. Nice one.👍👏

Thanks Stef, all about time mate, 15min modelling or 15min on BM....

Just glad to put this to bed, just no more figures, ever....:whistle:

The GB WIP illustrated the self inflicted "tribulations" I had with it thankfully it dodged the Sledgehammer and worked out ok!

Really appreciate your generous comments 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Superb. You've achieved a really effective faded, sun-baked paint effect. The rest of the weathering is nicely restrained too.

The commander figure is excellent, but I'm not sure about the Miniart infantry - you've done a great job on them but they seem to be more like 1/32 scale. And as for their faces - I've heard them described as Morlocks from HG Wells' Time Machine😄

• Haha 1

I agree with other comments here about the convincing desert patina/ weathering and I also think you did a great job on the figures. It’s also amazing how good that “sawed log wood plaque” base works with this tank without the hassle of adding any scenery or paint. If/when I ever attempt a N. Africa AFV subject, I will used your Sherman build as visual guide on the paint and weathering to try to aim for. Bravo!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Yg Models said:

nice sand Sherman 😊

Thank you, most kind!

15 hours ago, SimonL said:

Thats a great desert Sherman.  The figures look great, although I note the blokes sitting on the back look a tad lugubrious (as well they might!)

Thanks Simon :like:, as for the figures, they dont look overly chuffed do they? :winkgrin:

Then again if you'd been assembled and painted by me it would be understandable!

13 hours ago, IanC said:

Superb. You've achieved a really effective faded, sun-baked paint effect. The rest of the weathering is nicely restrained too.

The commander figure is excellent, but I'm not sure about the Miniart infantry - you've done a great job on them but they seem to be more like 1/32 scale. And as for their faces - I've heard them described as Morlocks from HG Wells' Time Machine😄

Thanks Ian, really appreciated!

Morlocks you suggest....so much for seeing the resemblance in the mirror! :giggle:

Never thought of it before but as you mention it they do look large, I'll compare them to some Alpine figures I have waiting to be brutally abused by my paintbrush!

Thanks again

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Glad you have finished your Sherman Darryl.  I have to agree with others that the infantry figures are 'distracting' from a very good Sherman. 😉

Thanks Bob, don't think the figures have been a "hit" ...

I hate painting figures but they always add something to an AFV build so if nowt else it's good practice!😉

Tbh I'm just glad to get it finished!

Cheers 

11 hours ago, echen said:

Altogether a great build, just right. Very impressed. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, always appreciated, as ever!

6 hours ago, StuartH said:

Excellent work all round. Nice to see a non-green Sherman.

I love the subtle streaking effects and the skin tones look great 👏

Thanks Stuart, I'm not displeased with how it eventually worked out, particularly since at one point after making a Horlicks of the first paint job I threatened it with a sledge hammer!

Not sure if it was the colour or the rounded shape of the cast hull but I struggled trying to make something visually interesting out of it.

Your kind comments are very much appreciated, cheers!

6 hours ago, xebec said:

That is beautifully done. Very fine paint work in particular. Do you mind telling me what the basecoat color is? 

Hi, very kind of you to say so, thanks.

The original base coat was Mr Mahogany,  nice stuff btw, I then proceeded to make a right mess of the original sand and green camouflage paint job so I then resprayed it overall sand without stripping the earlier sand and green. 

Cheers 

6 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

I agree with other comments here about the convincing desert patina/ weathering and I also think you did a great job on the figures. It’s also amazing how good that “sawed log wood plaque” base works with this tank without the hassle of adding any scenery or paint. If/when I ever attempt a N. Africa AFV subject, I will used your Sherman build as visual guide on the paint and weathering to try to aim for. Bravo!

Thanks John, very generous of you.

Feel free to take whatever you can from it, I'll look forward to seeing your interpretation. 👍

(If I remember right the wood is from an old apple tree I took down but I'm sure most woods will do. 😃)

Thanks again chaps, really appreciated,  as ever!

Darryl 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Tbh I'm just glad to get it finished!

I wish I knew that feeling, I still haven't found the decals for my dozer Sherman, since it's an old decal sheet I cannot just get another one.  Very frustrating. :wtf:

• Sad 1

Very nice. I always liked the early desert Shermans complete with side shields before they were  messed up in the heat of battle.

Also I like figures on AFVs. It does bring them to life.

• Thanks 1

The  color on this tank!!!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

This is one hell of a model!!! The dust, the weathering, the streaking. Everything is on point! 

Great build overal!!!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I wish I knew that feeling, I still haven't found the decals for my dozer Sherman, since it's an old decal sheet I cannot just get another one.  Very frustrating. :wtf:

Trying to work through a shelf of the nearly done...

Shot Kal,  Tiger, T34, Jeep and Titanic 

Sorry to hear the decals are still AWOL, they generally turn up, somewhere.....

Hope you find them soon!

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Really nice job that you've done there Darryl. And the crew and riders look good too. Great work.

John.

Thanks John, not much modelling happening these days unfortunately but nice to get something finished, even if the final touches took months.

Cheers

20 hours ago, noelh said:

Very nice. I always liked the early desert Shermans complete with side shields before they were  messed up in the heat of battle.

Also I like figures on AFVs. It does bring them to life.

Thanks Noel, they all must have been straight and undamaged at some point!

That's exactly it with figures,  I hate them, take me forever to get done and always look a bit weird but they do add life to a vehicle.

Cheers

13 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

A magnificent Sherman, clean but with subtle traces of wear, and with the figures it really gets richer.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis, very kind and really appreciated.

All the best

12 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Lovely!!!

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

The  color on this tank!!!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

This is one hell of a model!!! The dust, the weathering, the streaking. Everything is on point! 

Great build overal!!!!

Thank you ever so much,  very kind and really appreciated. 

Considering it very nearly didn't make it after the early mishap with the paintwork the subsequent repaint paid off.

Also discovered the more I play with oils the more I like the results.

Cheers

Thanks again fellas, really appreciate you all taking the time to comment. 

Darryl 

• Like 4

On 27/07/2022 at 18:06, edjbartos said:

Very nice indeed Darryl, cracking looking Sherman, really nicely painted, the figures just finishes it all of superbly. Well done...

Ed

Thanks Ed, it was admiring your M3 that helped push this forward. 

Might have mentioned this before about figures but they are a love hate thing, really adds to a build but a complete PIA to do.

Looking forward to catching up with your latest masterpiece. 

11 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Fantastic result Darryl! You did a great job. It's a good kit, built is some time ago and really enjoyed it.

Nenad

Thanks Nenad, very kind of you, really appreciated. 

It really is a good kit, will have to try more the Asuka/Tasca range, looking forward to getting back to OD with the next one though!

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 10:21, Watto64 said:

Great modelling - I can aspire to be at your level some day!!

Get out of it!

Far to kind, as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel lands lucky occasionally. 

Get some good quality oil paints, I used Abteilung but any artist grade paints will do and play around with them. Mike Rinaldi has some great YouTube videos, to help. Use a gentle spirit like Winsor  and Newton Sansoder instead of hardware store white spirit and remember less is best.

Feel free if you want any more info.

Good luck

Darryl