Avro Manchester MkI - 1/48th scale

I've recently built a 1/48th scale Avro Manchester using the Tamiya kit's fuselage coupled with a set of Sanger vacform wings, engines, tail and landing gear. The Tamiya parts fitted fine as you would expect, but the Sanger parts proved to be a bit of a struggle with poorly fitting parts and the wing profile being totally off. Lots of filling, sanding and perseverance eventually meant I got there, but it was hard graft at times! I used Xtracolor enamels with decals from various sheets I had to hand to complete the markings. 

This model represents a Manchester MkI from 97 Squadron (5 Group) at Conningsby during the early part of 1941. By January 1942 the Lancaster had come into service with 97 Squadron and they had moved to Woodall Spa, so it was a very short period of service for the ill-fated Manchester. 

Regards to all,

Rob

DSC_0291

DSC_0292

DSC_0290

DSC_0288

DSC_0286

DSC_0283

DSC_0295

• Like 69
  • Thanks 3

It's really interesting to look at how the Lancaster evolved from the Manchester; keeping the overall airframe design, but changing engines from the Vulture to the Merlin and adding two more to get to the Lancaster. They're so similar that he fuselage received almost no changes (the turrets got shifted around and updated, though).

Great build!