R35 - My first scale model ever

Hello everyone! 

New to this forum, I feel it would be a good idea to jump in by presenting what I'm currently working on. 

The French R35 from Tamiya. 

Coming from Miniatures and figure painting, I've wanted to try something new. I've always wanted to try scale model.

I'm more use to work with acrylics from GW or Vallejo. So working on an armour model, everything is new to me. The paint, the enamels, the weathering technics, pigments... 

I haven't tried to be historically or realistically accurate. I'm just trying to understand the process and to finish it. 

The plan is to finish the tank, and then to build a small diorama to put it on. 

I'm open to critics and advices !

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

Very nice.
Your experience with other miniatures shows in the (high) quality of your painting here.

One comment about the R35.
The exposed interior of commander's hatches are frequently painted to match the tank's exterior (as you have done).

Apart from the commander's hatch, the interiors of tanks are often white (to offset the lack of light in there).
There are plenty of exceptions, and I wouldn't change your model just for that, just something to be aware of.

On paint, you'll still find a use for GW and Vallejo paints.
They may not be intended as a match to 'standard' colours on military vehicles, but, given colour wear and fade, and from an artistic perspective, they work well.

Keep at it, this looks beautiful.  I'd really like to see your diorama too.

• Like 2

I'm no expert ( not even close to it ) on tanks, especially French early war tanks, but I'd say you've nailed it. 

That looks great!

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you ! 😄

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

The exposed interior of commander's hatches are frequently painted to match the tank's exterior (as you have done).

Apart from the commander's hatch, the interiors of tanks are often white (to offset the lack of light in there).
There are plenty of exceptions, and I wouldn't change your model just for that, just something to be aware of.

Good to know. That make sens ! Thank you for the info. I'll know for the next one. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ned said:

That looks great! How did you do the black lines around the camo?

Thank you! 
First I airbrushed the camo.
Then I used black paint, a good grip on the model and a steady hand with fine tip big belly brush. :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rilaxx said:

Thank you! 
First I airbrushed the camo.
Then I used black paint, a good grip on the model and a steady hand with fine tip big belly brush. :)

That's just one of the figure painter's transferable skills that makes this model look so good. Do I also see some edge highlighting ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

That's just one of the figure painter's transferable skills that makes this model look so good. Do I also see some edge highlighting ?

I did a little bit. But i didn’t know what it would look like after weathering so I didn’t pushed it to much. I haven’t finished dusting and I want to try oil and gas stain 😬

But I’ll probably do more edge highlighting on the next one. 

34 minutes ago, rilaxx said:

I did a little bit. But i didn’t know what it would look like after weathering so I didn’t pushed it to much. I haven’t finished dusting and I want to try oil and gas stain 😬

But I’ll probably do more edge highlighting on the next one. 

It all works on armour in my opinion, even stippling and wet blends have a place.

• Like 1

I think the tank is done. 

I tried to use pigment to dust it. In my story, it's suppose to be Summer 1940, so i didn't want the tank to be too dirty.

On the picture it's very subtle. Maybe too subtle ? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also tried to simulate oil and fuel stain. But once again,  maybe I'm not using the right colore as the product I used is brownish and the engin part is sandish. The contrast isn't obvious.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step : Those two bad boys 

spacer.png

I've already primed them and did a quick zenithal to make the painting easier :)

spacer.png

Edited by rilaxx
  • Like 10

I think the dusty weathering effect looks fine, especially as you don't want it to overpower your excellent paintjob. Subtle and restrained is the way to go in my book. Top work! 

• Like 1

Hi.

Think you have made a 1at class job with this build. In my humble opinion the subtle weathering is spot on. I have the same kit in my stash and I can only hope it comes out half as well

Andy

• Like 1